Cfant
Lieutenant

How to manage several armies in one province?

Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:17 pm

How does the engine handle, if you have 2 or three armies in one province? If I have 2 armies (Army A has 1 unit, Army B has 10 units). I set Army A on offense, Army B on defense. If the enemy enters the province, Army A will attack. Will Army B intervene?
How can I know, which army will fight (e.g. if the "elite"-troops fill up the frontage oder the "weaker" troops)? Do both armies have a frontage? From my results I thinks, all armies are considered as one army, led by the highest rank of all three armies. Is that correct? Will defensive armies always support, if a battle takes place?

Thanks and greetings

Narwhal

Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:23 pm

I wish I could answer, but I wanted to test this and did not do it yet.

As far as I know, two cases :
Your two armies have different stances : in this case only your army with the offensive stance will engage. The other one will not, except if the first one is defeated.
Your two armies have the same stance : one army (randomly taken) will engage, the other one has a (high) chance to engage each round of battle. The frontage will not changed.

The leader will be the dude with the highest rank.

Pocus

Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:58 pm

Troops in defensive posture will only attack if one of their element is attacked (and if yes, then they will all attack at once). This can be achieved if the engaged troops are overwhelmed (too many adversaries). In your situation, if Army A can handle the opponent, B stays in reserve. If the opponent is too numerous (twice as many elements as A), then B has big changes to be committed. Unless all the frontage is saturated in this case the opponent despite being more numerous don't trigger the 'overwhelming' factor.

Frontage is cumulative for a given battle. Splitting troops in several stacks won't give you more frontage. The highest ranked officer of any stack, even if not involved, will lead the battle.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Return to “Alea Jacta Est”