User avatar
Aphrodite Mae
Posts: 764
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:13 pm
Location: With Dixicrat

Aphrodite's Knights

Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:25 pm

I'm starting this thread to honor people in the AACW community who do exceptional stuff, both in the community and while playing the game in posted AARs. How? I'm going to hand out medals, that's how! :)

Maybe some of you are thinking, "Hey, who are you, to do such a thing?!" My answer is, "I'm the only woman on this forum, so I can get away with doing this kind of stuff." So there! :cool:

I was going to call this thread "Knights with Aphrodite", because it sounds more convivial. After all, this isn't about me, it's about you, the players and volunteers! But my husband didn't think it was a very good idea. He said calling the thread "Knights with Aphrodite" would cause some people to lose sleep, but he wouldn't explain why. Like, whatever. Men can be so mysterious, sometimes! :tournepas Anyway, I trust his judgment, so I changed the name, a little.

In Great Britain and Norway and cool places like that, people are Knighted by the King or Queen for doing cool stuff. But to get Knighted, people have to try really hard, and do really good for a really long time, all the while acting like they don't care whether they're Knighted or not. But in my little world here on the forum, all of you guys are already Knights, to me! :love: That's because you act like gentlemen, and you're chivalrous, and gracious, and all of that stuff... but man, are you ferocious on the virtual battlefield! :eek: If that's not what a Knight is all about, what is?! Plus, each time one of you has smiled at my humor and let me know it, or honorably said sweet and gallant things to me, you've made me feel happy and cherished, you know?! You've made me feel like...
...like a Queen! Thanks, guys! :coeurs:

So: by the power vested in me by you treating me like a sweet little Queen, I hereby Knight all of you!
You are hereby inducted into the Order of Aphrodite's Knights.
(You couldn't see me when I said that, but I was acting very dignified, and I was looking very solomn, OK? So that means it's official!)

Congratulations, to all Knights of the OAK! Stout-hearted, and never yielding in battle are ye, noble Knights! :)

You can go ahead and imagine me happily waving my scepter, if you want to!
It looks a lot like a pompom, if you need any help with the imagining part.

OK, let's talk about the medals! There are two kinds of medals: one kind recognizes service to the AACW community, and the other kind is earned on the virtual battlefields of AACW.

In my next post, I'll show you the first of the nice little medals I've made for you, and explain what the medal is about. But first, I need to say something really important, OK? Here's the big secret: now that you're a Knight, you're allowed to make nominations, too! I'm going to get the ball rolling, but after that, it will be up to you, as a Knighted member of this community, to find "medal worthy" stuff for people to check out. (That's your quest, noble Knight! :D ) I don't read AARs, and so I don't know the "cool moves" that have been done during AARs. (I probably wouldn't recognize it, if I saw one!) So, I need your help, OK? Especially for the battlefield medals!

Now, there is only one medal that you can nominate yourself for. You'll recognize it, when I get to it. ;) That's because all of the medals (except that one) recognize "coolness"... and pointing to your own coolness kinda negates the coolness, you know what I mean? So, this is all about recognizing the coolness of other people who've made the game what it is, and helped us to learn from it!

User avatar
dooya
Posts: 1311
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:12 am
Location: Always near to Vicky Pollard.
Contact: Website

Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:48 pm

Aphrodite Mae wrote:[...] Odor of Aphrodite's Knights.[...]
:blink:
No quote - No bullshit!

User avatar
DarthMath
Colonel
Posts: 347
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:27 pm
Location: Aix-en-Provence, France

Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:59 pm

Aphrodite Mae wrote:I was going to call this thread "Knights with Aphrodite", because it sounds more convivial. After all, this isn't about me, it's about you, the players and volunteers! But my husband didn't think it was a very good idea. He said calling the thread "Knights with Aphrodite" would cause some people to lose sleep, but he wouldn't explain why. Like, whatever. Men can be so mysterious, sometimes! :tournepas


:mdr:
Maybe I'm the first to see your post, so I'm the first to thank Our Gracious and Magnificent Queen of the Forum for such an idea. Awards and medals have the power to increase will and resistance of fighters, and in no doubt
your Knights will be very devoted to your glorious person !! :D
I don't know if I deserve such a pride because of my relative inexperience in PBEM, but decision is yours, as always, and I assure Your Highness I will be very honored to be the first French Knight of Aphrodite. :thumbsup:
"You know, in this world, there's two kind of people, my friend. Those who have a loaded gun, and those who dig in. You dig in ..." :cool:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

User avatar
Aphrodite Mae
Posts: 764
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:13 pm
Location: With Dixicrat

The GALLANTRY medal!

Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:35 pm

This post is about one of the battlefield medals! The first battlefield medal is the "Gallantry" medal. Nomination is all it takes to win this medal. In other words, the nomination need not be seconded. Even so, let's not make it too "common", OK?

When somebody graciously allows his opponent some sort of advantage because that opponent didn't know about a rule, or anything like that, they are eligible for a "Gallantry" medal. Think of it as an "exemplary good sportsmanship" medal!

The first recipients of this award are Coffee Sergeant, Jabberwock, and Manstein!

Manstein and Jabberwock receive this medal for their response to their opponent's use of "military occupation" or whatever it's called, in the tournament games. They let their opponents have back the Victory Points that they'd lost (but didn't know they were losing)! Gentlemen...? You both showed honor, and nobility of character!

Coffee Sergeant receives his medal for Gallantry, for his conduct during his game against me in the tournament. He could have shredded me into itty-bitty teeny-tiny bits, after he saw that I was such a weak player. But instead, he "held his punches", and defeated me in a way where I was left with dignity! To me, this shows honor and nobility of character, as well.

So: congratulations, guys, for being the kind of competitor that everybody wants to play!

Here's what the "Gallentry" medal looks like!

Image


White denotes purity, surrounding the Red of self-sacrifice... which is flanked with gold, symbolizing nobility of purpose!

Subsequent awards of this medal are denoted with Roman numerals. If and when somebody gets a fifth award, it will be denoted with a "V", and that will mean Valor. No more awards will be forthcoming, after that, because you're already too cool to start with, since you're obviously "Valorously Gallant"! (It also might mean that you're playing a lot of beginners, and maybe you should kinda think about seeking tougher opponents...)
Attachments
Medal of Gallantry.PNG
Medal of Gallantry.PNG (639 Bytes) Viewed 4375 times

User avatar
Aphrodite Mae
Posts: 764
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:13 pm
Location: With Dixicrat

The COMMENDATION medal!

Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:02 pm

OK! The second battlefield medal is the "Commendation" medal! It's kinda the "wow, that was cool!" medal. To receive this medal, you must be nominated by one person, and seconded by another.

When you read an AAR where somebody does something unexpected in a way that you admire... well, nominate him for a medal, in this thread! This is a good thing: it draws attention to stuff that's instructive. Stuff that might otherwise be missed. Everybody wins! Somebody gets a cool medal, and the rest of us learn from what happened.

The first recipient of this award is Yellowhammer, for his chutzpah of positioning a force to destroy Runyan99's Butler force if Runyan underestimated him during their tournament game. To me, what happened was just amazing! Playing against one of the world's strongest, most respected AACW players, Yellowhammer exploited his opponent's attempt to exploit him! The irony is just too cool. Congratulations, Yellowhammer!

This is what Yellowhammer's medal looks like! :)

Image

A member of the OAK who receives subsequent citations for this medal will receive cute little Oak leaves, to put on his Commendation medal! :) I'll explain all that, if and when it happens.

Want me to explain the design of the medal...?
Oooooh! <happy squeal!>[1] I thought you'd never ask!

The medal was inspired by Yellowhammer, and so I have used my queenly powers to turn Yellow into gold on the medal, because it was the right thing to do. OK, so the gold is divided by four red stripes. The red stripes represent the four elements of AACW battlefield command (supply, command, mobility, and power), and are red, because that's the color of risk. The brilliant golden braid down the middle of each red band represents the brilliant inspiration that is rewarded by this medal! :) Also, notice that there's nothing in the middle of the medal. That's because this medal commemorates an intellectual "flank attack": unexpected, and devastating! :cool:

[1] the "happy squeal" was done in a dignified and solemn manner that was just totally befitting a Queen, OK?
Just thought you'd like to know.


Attachments
Commendation Medal.png
Commendation Medal.png (876 Bytes) Viewed 3965 times

User avatar
REBELCAT
Colonel
Posts: 381
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:31 am
Location: Barcelona

Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:13 pm

A genius, I'm working on something similar but with the intent of consolidating all of AGEOD Confederates, it would be interesting to unify efforts in the creation of medals and awards.
Keep it up lady, the reward is a job well done

For his great work I give him the medal of service

Image
Image

User avatar
Mickey3D
Posts: 1569
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:09 pm
Location: Lausanne, Switzerland

Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:21 pm

Recipients of these glorious awards should display them in their signature !

User avatar
Manstein
Brigadier General
Posts: 489
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:57 pm
Location: Cádiz, Spain

Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:05 pm

Thank you Aphrodite for you generosity.

I´m glad for your gift and I proudly have placed my medal at my avatar.
:fleurs:

User avatar
gchristie
Brigadier General
Posts: 482
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:31 pm
Location: On the way to the forum

Commendation medal nominations

Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:25 pm

I would humbly propose Commendation medals for Soundoff and Banks and their current AAR.

Soundoff's stunning victory at Annapolis in late August 1861 resulted in a very informative primer on use of zone of control. Brilliantly utilized, very well explained, and readers learned loads.

And to Banks for his excellent battle maps of the second battle of Columbus. He really brought the battle to life. They looked and read like something out of a well written history book.

Hope this is the correct place to make such nominations.

BTW, this is a very cool idea!

User avatar
Aphrodite Mae
Posts: 764
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:13 pm
Location: With Dixicrat

I'm deeply touched

Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:26 pm

Manstein wrote:I proudly have placed my medal at my avatar.


Manstein...?

You are such a gentleman!

I know that it's silly for me to confess this, but your response has made me weep. Truly.

I'm touched, and so honored! That is one of the sweetest gestures that anyone has ever done for me. Thank you, noble Knight! :) Your actions have rather justified your receipt of a medal for "Gallantry", I believe.

However... you, sir, may want to save a bit of room on your avatar. Just in case you receive another medal that I've already created, and already nominated you for, before you made your gracious gesture.

User avatar
Aphrodite Mae
Posts: 764
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:13 pm
Location: With Dixicrat

I humbly accept. Thank you, noble Knight!

Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:37 pm

I am both humbled and honored by your award of the "Service" medal, Rebelcat. I shall keep and treasure this token of your honoring me.

Thank you, sir!
<curtsy>

I had already designed a "service" medal, which I intended to reveal when I begin discussing the "Service" category of medals; but with your permission, I shall use your design, instead. I humbly request that you permit me to format your design so that it is consistent with the other medals I have designed.

User avatar
Aphrodite Mae
Posts: 764
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:13 pm
Location: With Dixicrat

Award of the Commendation medal

Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:46 pm

The Knight of the OAK gchristie has presented two nominations for the prestigious Commendation medal. In my ceremonial role as Queen, I accept and second both nominations.

gchristie wrote:Soundoff's stunning victory at Annapolis in late August 1861 resulted in a very informative primer on use of zone of control. Brilliantly utilized, very well explained, and readers learned loads.


Soundoff is hereby awarded the Commendation medal for the citation provided by gchristie. Congratulations, sir! :)

gchristie wrote:...And to Banks for his excellent battle maps of the second battle of Columbus. He really brought the battle to life. They looked and read like something out of a well written history book.


Banks is hereby awarded the Commendation medal for the citation provided by gchristie. Congratulations, sir! :)

And thank you, gchristie, for your support of my endeavor by providing worthy nominations! :)

User avatar
Aphrodite Mae
Posts: 764
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:13 pm
Location: With Dixicrat

Two small requests

Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:02 pm

Now, I would like to make a respectful request: whenever you nominate someone for a medal, I ask that you explain why, in the manner which gchristie did with his nominations. And when you second a nomination, I ask that you not simply say "+1", but instead, make some comment of your own about why you think the person deserves the medal, OK? It doesn't have to be long. Just a sentence or two.

[Quote=Clueless]...Because Jabberwock rocks! :thumbsup: [/quote]

This is not what I mean, when I ask that you provide a comment. We need to know why he rocks, OK?

I also have another request, if it's not asking too much. Please don't post screenshots from AARs to illustrate your point. Instead, if it's not too much to ask, a link would be better, I think.

OK! In my next post, I'm going to talk about the "Command" medal!

User avatar
REBELCAT
Colonel
Posts: 381
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:31 am
Location: Barcelona

Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:19 pm

Aphrodite Mae wrote:I am both humbled and honored by your award of the "Service" medal, Rebelcat. I shall keep and treasure this token of your honoring me.

Thank you, sir!
<curtsy>

I had already designed a "service" medal, which I intended to reveal when I begin discussing the "Service" category of medals; but with your permission, I shall use your design, instead. I humbly request that you permit me to format your design so that it is consistent with the other medals I have designed.


OF COURSE :thumbsup:
Image

User avatar
REBELCAT
Colonel
Posts: 381
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:31 am
Location: Barcelona

Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:22 pm

if you want suggestions you can provide a variety of medals ;)
Image

User avatar
REBELCAT
Colonel
Posts: 381
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:31 am
Location: Barcelona

Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:12 am

some suggestions


Image
Image

User avatar
Aphrodite Mae
Posts: 764
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:13 pm
Location: With Dixicrat

Thanks, Rebelcat!

Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:02 am

Thanks for the suggestions, Rebelcat! :coeurs:

Actually, I've already designed almost a dozen medals! I'm planning on presenting them one by one, rather than all at once. That way, I can explain what each one is about, and give special recognition to those who've been awarded the medal! :)

One of the ways that you (and anybody else who wants to help) can give me a hand is in designing and creating the small "pins" that are affixed to the medals, for subsequent awards of the same medal! If anyone would like to help with this part, then send me a PM, and we'll discuss the details, OK?

User avatar
Doomwalker
Brigadier General
Posts: 449
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:36 am
Location: Confederate held territory in Afghanistan.

Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:44 am

Check you messages Aphrodite. I made up a few with attachments added.

Here is a sample for everyone reading.

Image
[color="DarkGreen"][SIZE="2"]“We may be annihilated, but we cannot be conquered.”

- General Albert Sidney Johnston[/size][/color]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[CENTER][color="DarkGreen"]AGEod's American Civil War Wiki - [/color][color="DarkGreen"]AACWWiki[/color][/CENTER]

User avatar
Comtedemeighan
Brigadier General
Posts: 423
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:51 pm
Location: Beeri, Hadoram, Israel

Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:08 am

I'd Like to Nominate bschulte for his excellent blog http://www.brettschulte.net/CWBlog/ and his excellent civil war book reviews :)
Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem - By the Sword We Seek Peace, But Peace Only Under Liberty
-Massachusetts state motto-

"The army is the true nobility of our country."
-Napoleon III-

User avatar
Aphrodite Mae
Posts: 764
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:13 pm
Location: With Dixicrat

Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:06 pm

Comtedemeighan wrote:I'd Like to Nominate bschulte for his excellent blog http://www.brettschulte.net/CWBlog/ and his excellent civil war book reviews :)


Nomination accepted! :)
However, I believe that citation is for stuff that's more deserving of a service medal, rather than any of the battlefield medals that I've presented so far. I haven't yet "tweaked" Rebelcat's contribution of the Service Medal yet, but I'll go ahead and make that a priority, OK? Sooooo... let's go ahead and briefly table bschulte's nomination until I actually have the medal to award him, OK?

In other news:
Doomwalker has volunteered his considerable graphics talents to helping me with the little pins and stuff like that for some of the medals! We're artistically collaborating via PM, so it shouldn't be too long until we'll have some lovely, elegant accessories for your medals, guys! :)

User avatar
Aphrodite Mae
Posts: 764
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:13 pm
Location: With Dixicrat

And keep this in mind...

Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:10 pm

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
[SIZE="1"]
Whatcha wanna bet that he sounds like wind chimes, when he walks?![/size] :D
Attachments
greed.jpg
greed.jpg (60.05 KiB) Viewed 3881 times

User avatar
DarthMath
Colonel
Posts: 347
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:27 pm
Location: Aix-en-Provence, France

Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:18 pm

:mdr:
Is this D.Medvedev the other "civilian" on Putin's left, I'm not sure ?
"You know, in this world, there's two kind of people, my friend. Those who have a loaded gun, and those who dig in. You dig in ..." :cool:



[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

User avatar
REBELCAT
Colonel
Posts: 381
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:31 am
Location: Barcelona

Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:10 pm

This made a very good job, send PM, designs attempt to capture the idea.
Sincerely
Frederic Mora
Image

User avatar
Aphrodite Mae
Posts: 764
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:13 pm
Location: With Dixicrat

The COMMAND medal!

Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:20 pm

The next medal is the "Command" medal. When somebody demonstrates remarkable leadership of their forces for an entire game, you might consider nominating him for this medal! This medal can also be considered as a higher order of the "Commendation" medal. That's because the Commendation medal commends the events of one game turn, or one series of connected actions; but the Command medal is about the sweep of the entire game, OK?

Because of its higher "dignity", this medal requires a nomination, a second, and a third vote. The third vote can be simply a "+1".

The first recipient of this award is my husband.

OK, fair enough: maybe you're thinking "Nepotism!"
I'll tell you what: I'll tell you why I've nominated him, and if anybody thinks that my reason is inadequate, then you can veto the award, OK? Nobody's feelings will be hurt. (I've checked, so I'm sure.)

I've nominated Dixicrat for this award, because of his exemplary management of his forces in his tournament game against Coffee Sergeant. So many other players of the Far West Scenario lost hundreds of soldiers due to lack of adequate supply in bad weather and all that, but Dixicrat didn't lose one to those causes!

Good management is a fundamental prerequisite of any successful command, and so normally Dixicrat wouldn't have been awarded this medal. However, as far as I know, he was the only player in the entire tournament field who played the scenario and won the game without losing a single soldier because of logistical breakdowns. Even if it turns out there were more people who did the same thing... well, to me, that's simply amazing! I wasn't able to do it, and I tried!

Congratulations, Dixicrat! You care for your people, and it shows! :)

Here is what his medal looks like!

Image

OK: here is the symbolism behind my design of the medal.

As a commander of any force, you are expected to be equal to any task that you're assigned. If you're not, it's really simple: you don't retain command! Among the chosen few who remain, it is those leaders who excel that set themselves apart from those who are merely "sufficient". They're exceptional!

I already talked about how the red pillars are all about the "four fundamentals of command". The gold threads on the sides show the exceptional nature of the command that earned the award. But notice how the brilliant "sparkle" is gone, from the gold! That's because it is only a military genius who can be brilliant in all aspects of command, all of the time. (Don't worry, military geniuses have their own medal, OK? Eventually, we'll get there. :) )

In the middle of the medal is a big band of pure white, with sparkling gold on each side! The white represents the leader who places his men above all other considerations, except when deep convictions of "Truth" and "Duty" say otherwise. The gold braid represents how special those convictions are, as the foundation of a successful command.

OK: many years ago, I served in the United States Army. During that time, I met a leader who was a "real life" example of the kind of leadership that I'm talking about, and so I'd like to tell you his story so you can see what I'm talking about.

He was an Infantry Sergeant who was the acting Platoon Sergeant for a bunch of rough-neck Grunts, when I met him. I knew some of his soldiers, and man, they were an unruly bunch of thugs! Think "urban ghetto assassins", and you'll kinda have a clue! To be completely honest, they scared me.

It was pretty obvious that my Infantry Sergeant friend had somehow been given the "worst case scenarios". But you know what? Those "thugs" always seemed to shoot the best, run further, carry the most, and shout the loudest! It was because they respectedtheir leader. And all of those officers who'd been saying stuff to my friend about how he couldn't "maintain discipline" with his soldiers because his thug's boots weren't shined quite right, and stuff like that... well, they kinda shut up, after his Platoon started setting records and causing the higher command to receive awards. The respect those soldiers gave him wasn't because he was a "tough guy". As I distantly recall, it was because he inspired them!
To shoot better. To run further. To carry more, and shout louder. That kinda stuff!

Of course, you can see where this story is heading. I was so impressed with that soldier, that I ended up marrying him! :love: So: my total inspiration for this medal came from watching my husband play Coffee Sergeant in the tournament. I chose the base color of the medal because it's the favorite color of the finest leader of men (and women! :) ) who I have ever personally known. His attitude of "the men come first" is even reflected in the games he plays! :D :thumbsup:

OK!
...Let's pause for a moment to bask in the warm glow of "coolness"...


...and then move on, to other things.

I hereby rescind the award of the "Commendation" medal to both Banks and Soundoff, so that I may hereby award the "Command" medal to both, in its stead. I'm doing this because both instances cited for their original award are more than sufficient for award of the "Command" medal. :)

Congratulations, Banks and Soundoff! You exemplify exceptional leadership within the forum!
On behalf of the forum, I thank you! :) [1]

In my next "medal" post, I'll talk about the "Valor" medal!
[SIZE="1"]In case you're wondering: Yes. It's even cooler.[/size]


[1] As "ceremonial Queen", I'm allowed to say stuff like "On behalf of the forum...", OK? [2]
[2] As a Knighted "ceremonial participant", you're allowed to veto anything the Queen says!







[SIZE="1"]So, go ahead. I dare you! :D [/size]
Attachments
Command Medal.png
Command Medal.png (877 Bytes) Viewed 3822 times

User avatar
Dixicrat
General
Posts: 523
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:55 pm
Location: East Tennessee
Contact: ICQ

Thank you, Aphrodite Mae!

Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:45 pm

Aphrodite Mae wrote:Congratulations, Dixicrat! You care for your people, and it shows! :)


Thank you, your Highness! :) I truly do not feel that I deserve this award, but I'm quite honored that you have presented it to me, and said the kind and gracious words which you said.

Darthmath was right, when he spoke of how medals can inspire people, and increase their devotion. But I require no medal to be deeply devoted to you, my Queen! And so, I shall continue in my steadfast resolve to protect, defend, counsel, cherish, and love you with all of my heart, your Majesty, until death finally separates us.

Long live the Queen!

User avatar
Aphrodite Mae
Posts: 764
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:13 pm
Location: With Dixicrat

The VALOR medal!

Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:00 pm

The next medal is for "Valor".

Think of this medal as being the equivalent of the simultaneous award of both a Commendation Medal (for brilliancy) and a Command Medal (for exceptional strategic command)!

When somebody comes back from a tough, inferior position to win the game, maybe they deserve this medal! This medal commends exceptional commands which demonstrate the tenacity of spirit, grit and determination that is so important as a command virtue!

Because of its higher dignity, this medal is like the Command medal: it requires a nomination, a second, and a +1 to the nomination or second. Even so, this medal has a higher dignity than even the Command medal. In other words, if you get it, we think that you're a remarkable player! ;)

The first person to be awarded this medal is Yellowhammer, for his "come from behind" victory in the tournament, in the second game of the first round of the tournament! Plus, during the first game of that bracket, he just wouldn't die. I don't read or follow AARs, but I did that one! Want to know why?... ...because it was exciting, that's why! :)

So: congratulations, Yellowhammer, for your demonstrated Valor in the first bracket of the tournament!

Here is what Yellowhammer's medal looks like! :)

Image

I'm just certain that there are many of you who can recall an AAR where someone played a remarkable game that deserves this medal. So... please tell us!


If you're interested, here is what I was thinking when I designed the medal:
“Blue” is the color of valor, and so I used that as the base color of the medal. I have white at the middle, to represent the man who has been awarded the medal, just like with the "Command" medal. Red is symbolic of risk, sacrifice, courage, and similar ideas. Notice that the stuff on the sides has been moved closer to the center. This kinda symbolizes something along the lines of the idea that "Valor" is "Central" to winning any war. Or something like that.

With this medal, gold braid has been superseded by a braided gold “cord of honor”, on each flanking stripe! I wanted this medal to be the most handsome and elaborate medal so far, to reflect the exceptional nature of what it's awarded for. After all, there is only one battlefield medal which has a higher "dignity". I'll talk about that one, in my next "medal" post!
Attachments
Medal of Valor.png
Medal of Valor.png (1.1 KiB) Viewed 3742 times

User avatar
DarthMath
Colonel
Posts: 347
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:27 pm
Location: Aix-en-Provence, France

Awards and Medals

Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:20 pm

Dear Aphrodite,
Are you going to design ribbons for differents campaigns (East, West, New Orleans, Vicksburg, Peninsula, etc...) as well ?
And something like the "Purple Heart" ?
That will be cool too ;)
"You know, in this world, there's two kind of people, my friend. Those who have a loaded gun, and those who dig in. You dig in ..." :cool:



[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

User avatar
Manstein
Brigadier General
Posts: 489
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:57 pm
Location: Cádiz, Spain

Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:33 pm

Aphrodite Mae wrote:Manstein...?

You are such a gentleman!

I know that it's silly for me to confess this, but your response has made me weep. Truly.

I'm touched, and so honored! That is one of the sweetest gestures that anyone has ever done for me. Thank you, noble Knight! :) Your actions have rather justified your receipt of a medal for "Gallantry", I believe.

However... you, sir, may want to save a bit of room on your avatar. Just in case you receive another medal that I've already created, and already nominated you for, before you made your gracious gesture.


My lady: I ever will have room on my avatar for your memories. I only hope that I was enough deserver for as high honour :hat:

User avatar
Banks6060
AGEod Veteran
Posts: 798
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:51 pm

Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:01 pm

Aphrodite,

I really appreciate the nod for the "Command" medal. This is a really fun way of bringing us all together and thank you also for your enthusiasm in ensuring comroderie here on the forum :) .

Cheers to you!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Have you ever stopped to think and forgot to start??

User avatar
REBELCAT
Colonel
Posts: 381
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:31 am
Location: Barcelona

Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:10 am

Image
Image

Return to “General discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests