jimbotobi
Conscript

naval rules

Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:23 pm

Hello,

when do i get control of a sea area (i chose the control mission)? There are no flags to symbolize the control...

doesn`t the naval units have to go back to port after the mission (as described in the rules)?

Thanks for your answer...

jimbotobi

calvinus

Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:15 pm

jimbotobi wrote:when do i get control of a sea area (i chose the control mission)? There are no flags to symbolize the control...

Yes, I print no flag on seas. But you're right, it's better i do so... ;)
Anyway, yes: control mission must be selected, and successful.

jimbotobi wrote:doesn`t the naval units have to go back to port after the mission (as described in the rules)?

Where is printed? Return to port is not needed, but strongly suggested if most counters are damaged (for interphase automatic repairings).

If you post here tha manual page, I can ask Martin to add the correction.

Thanks,
Calvinus.

jimbotobi
Conscript

naval rules

Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:30 pm

Hello,

it`s on page 68: Phase 6 - Control of the seas: all naval units must end the naval phase in port.

It seems to me, that naval movement can be endless. With the german scout fleet i went out to north sea in game turn one. The British came out and i retreated to antwerp (unwilling) with the british fleet following me to the port(!!!). Next turn, i tried to get back to wilhelmhaven and the british fleet followed me to the coastel area near antwerp, where a naval battle took place. As the range was long, i didn`t commit any ship. The battle went for a few rounds (in which i didn`t succeed to escape) and then the battle was over (with no victor). Then i went on with the next coastal area, where the same happened. So on until wilhelmshaven, where now the british fleet followed me!!! Yes the british fleet is in wilhelmshaven!!! That must be bug, i think.

When does the enemy react with his naval forces? Can i do the same? When?
I think, the naval rules implemented do not comply fully with the game manual.

bye

jimbotobi

calvinus

Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:44 pm

Page 68 to be corrected.

All other remarks are indeed gameplay errors to be corrected too. Everything scheduled for fix.

Thanks,
Calvinus.

jimbotobi
Conscript

naval rules

Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:45 pm

Hello calvinus,

yesterday you wrote, page 68 shall be corrected. Why? In the boardgame rules the naval movement is also to be ended in port (91-C. Ports)!?

Seems to be much work around the naval component.

Another question concerns land combat: often i worry about why i lost a land combat. There are enough units left to fight, no wounded unit in the first line (with a chance to get in panic and - anyway - the combat results show no units in panic. Anyway i lost the battle. Why?

And at last (but not least): are you ageod`s official developer of world war one?

Thanks for answering

jimbotobi

calvinus

Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:54 pm

jimbotobi wrote:yesterday you wrote, page 68 shall be corrected. Why? In the boardgame rules the naval movement is also to be ended in port (91-C. Ports)!?

Seems to be much work around the naval component.

The PC game is here a bit different, unless I force an automatic retreat to the nearest friendly port... and I believe this could be "felt" by players as a bug rather than a feature! ;)

BTW, I fixed the bug of naval duels in ports. :)

jimbotobi wrote:Another question concerns land combat: often i worry about why i lost a land combat. There are enough units left to fight, no wounded unit in the first line (with a chance to get in panic and - anyway - the combat results show no units in panic. Anyway i lost the battle. Why?

Beta-patch 1.05L has fixed the weird result on land combats.

jimbotobi wrote:And at last (but not least): are you ageod`s official developer of world war one?

Yes, I am. :)

jimbotobi
Conscript

handling of diplomats

Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:46 pm

hi calvinus,

another bad thing is the handling of the diplomats. Each round i receive new diplomats and i try to send them "on station". Then i have to scroll the full list down (after sending the list is "on top" again) to get a "free" diplomat to send on station. Is it at least possible to create a scroll bar, which makes selecting a "free" diplomat easier?

Second, the "free" places to send diplomats in neutral countries are from ~1915 onwards very rare, i didn`t succeed in merging diplomats (how to do this?) and diplomats still not active (e. g. not sended) don`t find a place in the world to send anymore. So what shall i do with the unusable diplomats?

bye

jimbotobi

calvinus

Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:35 pm

jimbotobi wrote:another bad thing is the handling of the diplomats. Each round i receive new diplomats and i try to send them "on station". Then i have to scroll the full list down (after sending the list is "on top" again) to get a "free" diplomat to send on station. Is it at least possible to create a scroll bar, which makes selecting a "free" diplomat easier?

To be honest, in theory all diplomats are "free". If one diplomat is abroad, it does not mean he cannot go to another nation... ;)

jimbotobi wrote:Second, the "free" places to send diplomats in neutral countries are from ~1915 onwards very rare, i didn`t succeed in merging diplomats (how to do this?) and diplomats still not active (e. g. not sended) don`t find a place in the world to send anymore. So what shall i do with the unusable diplomats?

Select two diplomats (the first one in the list on the left, the second one among those listed horizontally in the nations list on the right). If the two diplomats are not the same 'person', and if they belong to the same nation, and if the sum of their diplomatic ability is equal or less than 3, you can click on the "Merge Diplomats" button.

bye

jimbotobi[/QUOTE]

jimbotobi
Conscript

Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:29 pm

hello calvinus,

if i can redirect diplomats it`s even more important to have scroll bar, please;-)

thanks

jimbotobi

calvinus

Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:42 pm

The graphic engine of WW1 has nothing to display the scroll bars like you mean (windows style). The only exceptions are inside the Statistics window, where I use an external propietor library (for charts and tables), and the progress bars used in Munitions window and similars... So, for the time being, I have no mean to create this new feature.

Let's see in the future. ;)

calvinus

Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:45 am

jimbotobi wrote:hello calvinus,

if i can redirect diplomats it`s even more important to have scroll bar, please;-)

thanks

jimbotobi

I suspect there's a misunderstanding... What do you mean for scroll bar? :confused:

Don't you see the up/down buttons in both lists: available diplomats & neutral nations?
Haven't you tried the mouse wheel?

jimbotobi
Conscript

scroll bar

Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:24 pm

Hello,

the mouse wheel doesn`t help...(i have one and usually it works;-))

everytime i send a dplomat, the list automatically scrolls up. Now i have to use the arrows to get down in the list again, which makes it boring ;-((...

i mean a scroll bar could speed this thing up...

calvinus

Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:11 pm

Ok, I did the offsets of the lists are not resetted every time you send a diplomat or plan a mission... ;)

jimbotobi
Conscript

naval rules

Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:28 pm

hi,

in naval battles it`s still possible to engage nothing...

calvinus

Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:23 am

Also when the fire range is not compatible with any of your squadrons? :blink:

Marquee
Sergeant

Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:29 am

calvinus wrote:Also when the fire range is not compatible with any of your squadrons? :blink:

I had reported this issue to you as well, calvinus, and accepted that the explanation for the "non-engagement" was that the range was not "short" which was required by the CL involved. However, visible spotting distance was roughly the same for all ships, so shouldn't the battle continue for another round with one side being able to attempt to close the range, and if one side wishes to avoid battle they are required to attempt to flee?

It just seems like the gun range shouldn't determine if there's an escape or not. Remember at Falklands Islands the British ran down von Spee's ships even though upon initial sighting they weren't in gun range. They closed the range and von Spee couldn't get away.

jimbotobi
Conscript

naval rules

Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:35 pm

Yes!

Anthropoid
Lieutenant

Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:56 pm

It would be nice to be able to close the distance like they say.

patrat
Captain

Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:28 pm

you can close the range in a naval battle.

on the battle screen you have 3 tactics you can chose beteewn after the battle starts. the middle one with the 2 arrows closes the range so you can use your cruisers and destroyers.

i still havent figured out how to order a torpedo attack yet, maybe its automatic from destroyers?

calvinus

Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:30 am

Yes, the torpedo attack is automatic, performed by DD and DE (but also by strategic subs, if present). ;)

Marquee
Sergeant

Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:19 pm

patrat wrote:you can close the range in a naval battle.

on the battle screen you have 3 tactics you can chose beteewn after the battle starts. the middle one with the 2 arrows closes the range so you can use your cruisers and destroyers.

i still havent figured out how to order a torpedo attack yet, maybe its automatic from destroyers?

The issue would seem to be apparently then that the pursuing AI doesn't use the middle one then to pursue my German CLs that are alone. After the initial round, if the range wasn't "S" the battle always ends. If the AI could select to close the range then there should be more rounds, unless my ship successfully fled.

jimbotobi
Conscript

naval rules

Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:54 pm

hi,

i have the german scout fleet in nordsee. now i can do a rais mission every time in combination with the enact movement button, so a number of naval raids equal to the number of armies. Is that to be intended?

calvinus

Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:25 am

jimbotobi wrote:hi,

i have the german scout fleet in nordsee. now i can do a rais mission every time in combination with the enact movement button, so a number of naval raids equal to the number of armies. Is that to be intended?

Do you mean the naval raid is performed at the end of each army activation, so that once the activation ends and e new one starts you can plan a new raid? :wacko:

If so, it's a cheat! Stupid me... I have to remove it.

jimbotobi
Conscript

naval rules

Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:39 am

hi,

i can undo the raid mission and set again to raid before enacting movement for each army. The result is a new raid mission during the movement!

By the way, i sent a fleet out to the baltic sea, again with a raid mission and the result was a raid executed against "perpignan" - so the result-telegram told me. So the raid was executed against france instead of any russian province?!?!?!

Theodor
Conscript

Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:57 pm

Out of curiosity, why was the board game design changed from having a special Naval face when all naval action has handled to integrate it with the military phase? I haven't been able to put a finger on it, but I have also thought that there is something odd when you have army-by-army activation in the naval war.

A totally different question: is it possible to play multi player with one normal and one demo-version?

jimbotobi
Conscript

naval rules

Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:20 pm

hi,

exactly that is the question and even the rules of the pc-game doesn`t explain the concept clearly. I bought the game 2 months ago and it still seems to me - sorry for that - a beta version, especially concerning the naval part of the game. :(

I think, that ww1 is a great game concept and bringing it to the computer is a very heavy task. The version presented til now is a very good approach to that, but yet it isn`t ready.

Hoping the best to be able to play a complete playable version soon...

calvinus

Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:39 pm

Theodor wrote:Out of curiosity, why was the board game design changed from having a special Naval face when all naval action has handled to integrate it with the military phase? I haven't been able to put a finger on it, but I have also thought that there is something odd when you have army-by-army activation in the naval war.

The board game has the Naval Phase, that is extremely complex. The result is that in the boardgame there is commonly just one naval combat... then stop! And players do not play naval affairs! The PC game, being a PC game cannot have a naval phase, naval operations are mixed with land moves.

Theodor wrote:A totally different question: is it possible to play multi player with one normal and one demo-version?

Yes, it's possible.

calvinus

Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:42 pm

jimbotobi wrote:hi,

exactly that is the question and even the rules of the pc-game doesn`t explain the concept clearly. I bought the game 2 months ago and it still seems to me - sorry for that - a beta version, especially concerning the naval part of the game. :(

I think, that ww1 is a great game concept and bringing it to the computer is a very heavy task. The version presented til now is a very good approach to that, but yet it isn`t ready.

Hoping the best to be able to play a complete playable version soon...

The most difficulties come from the fact that the boardgame rules of LGG are full of holes and make the naval affairs extremely complex to play. This is a very though point of the boardgame that spans its negative effects to the PC version. I already did my best to reproduce in the best possible way the original boardgame rules, but there are still a few "design" bugs to be "fixed".

Return to “Help improve WW1!”