BlueGlow
Conscript

Just starting out and?

Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:51 pm

Hello all,

I got this great game a few days back but am struggling on a couple of things to begin with, I hope some kind soul will come along to help me

First off, and I don't mean to speak out of turn but I think there maybe something wrong with the Tutorial Basics part, it says that moving Buell to Henderson will take14 days if I remember rightly, and yet when I hover the mouse over the blue line that indicates the path, it tells me it will take him 5 days, maybe its me not doing the simplest of things right, and that would not be unusual for me :lol:

Secondly and this is the one I can't figure out at all, I go to move Buell back as the Tutorial tells me to and of course me being me I cause him to merge!! just the thing I was told to avoid :(

Anyway, it says to right click to on the tab to stop them merging, and that a small padlock appears, well I have right clicked and I see no padlock, I messed about for the last half an hour and then just had to come here for much needed help :)

But since having messed around when I try to move Buell again, I find two of him, one where I moved him to, and one also in the City/Town where he was originally based............in other words.......please help me anyone :) I am a slow learner though and that might put many off the hassle, and I'll understand if no-one wants the bother :lol:

Many thanks

BlueGlow :)
aka: Jekyll and Hyde

Le Ricain

Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:03 am

BlueGlow wrote:Hello all,

I got this great game a few days back but am struggling on a couple of things to begin with, I hope some kind soul will come along to help me

First off, and I don't mean to speak out of turn but I think there maybe something wrong with the Tutorial Basics part, it says that moving Buell to Henderson will take14 days if I remember rightly, and yet when I hover the mouse over the blue line that indicates the path, it tells me it will take him 5 days, maybe its me not doing the simplest of things right, and that would not be unusual for me :lol:

Secondly and this is the one I can't figure out at all, I go to move Buell back as the Tutorial tells me to and of course me being me I cause him to merge!! just the thing I was told to avoid :(

Anyway, it says to right click to on the tab to stop them merging, and that a small padlock appears, well I have right clicked and I see no padlock, I messed about for the last half an hour and then just had to come here for much needed help :)

But since having messed around when I try to move Buell again, I find two of him, one where I moved him to, and one also in the City/Town where he was originally based............in other words.......please help me anyone :) I am a slow learner though and that might put many off the hassle, and I'll understand if no-one wants the bother :lol:

Many thanks

BlueGlow :)

BllueGlow,

Congratulations, you finally made it to the forum. Good thing that the Royal Mail strike eased enough to get the game to you.

To help answer your questions:

When you pick up Buell and drop him in the destination province you will see how many days that it should take him to arrive. Hovering the tool tip over the intervening blue line will tell you how many days are needed to enter the province beneath the blue line. If you move the tool tip to the next province along the line it will tell you how many days are needed to enter that province.

I never did figure out how to avoid merging by right clicking on the tab. The main reason for this is that it is not important. It is far easier to make sure that you drop your unit in a part of the target province where there are no units located, ie empty space. If by chance you do drop your unit so that it will merge, you will be notified of this on the unit board at the bottom of the screen and on the top of the unit itself you will get a white tab with a red diagonal cross symbol. The easy way to fix this is to hit the delete button and this will take your unit back on province and you can pick it up and drop again.

When you drop the unit you will have two versions of the unit displayed, one of which will be a faint picture. All this does is tell you that your unit is planned to move there. When you hit the next turn button the unit will be in the target province, assuming that the trip was less than 15 days. Otherwise, it will be as far along its trip as it got in the time.

I hope that this helps.

Le Ricain
(aka Sgt Bash)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'Nous voilà, Lafayette'

Colonel C.E. Stanton, aide to A.E.F. commander John 'Black Jack' Pershing, upon the landing of the first US troops in France 1917

BlueGlow
Conscript

Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:03 am

Le Ricain wrote:BllueGlow,

Congratulations, you finally made it to the forum. Good thing that the Royal Mail strike eased enough to get the game to you.

To help answer your questions:

When you pick up Buell and drop him in the destination province you will see how many days that it should take him to arrive. Hovering the tool tip over the intervening blue line will tell you how many days are needed to enter the province beneath the blue line. If you move the tool tip to the next province along the line it will tell you how many days are needed to enter that province.

I never did figure out how to avoid merging by right clicking on the tab. The main reason for this is that it is not important. It is far easier to make sure that you drop your unit in a part of the target province where there are no units located, ie empty space. If by chance you do drop your unit so that it will merge, you will be notified of this on the unit board at the bottom of the screen and on the top of the unit itself you will get a white tab with a red diagonal cross symbol. The easy way to fix this is to hit the delete button and this will take your unit back on province and you can pick it up and drop again.

When you drop the unit you will have two versions of the unit displayed, one of which will be a faint picture. All this does is tell you that your unit is planned to move there. When you hit the next turn button the unit will be in the target province, assuming that the trip was less than 15 days. Otherwise, it will be as far along its trip as it got in the time.

I hope that this helps.

Le Ricain
(aka Sgt Bash)

Hello again Le Ricain,

Thank you this is very helpful, yes I was overjoyed to receive it so promptly, strike ended pretty quick in the end :)

I feel a total fool though as late last night I posted at the Paradox forum to say that these forums are all closed and it seemed like life here did'nt exist anymore, please accept my apology for posting that :lol: I am glad to see that your here anyway! :)

Thank you for tidying things up for me, I'll get back to the game a little later and start over.

Having started over I am afraid that although the instructions on the first Tutorial say 14 days to reach the target and yet I see 16 now, I suppose this does'nt matter too much as it is a Tutorial maybe?

Not to worry I know why it kept showing the wrong number for days in getting to the province, I was moving Buell to Henderson when I should have read the instructions properly and move Crittenden Command instead, now I know what I am doing wrong, not reading properly :bonk:

I'll get the hang of this in about 10 years time (yes I learn that slow :)

Finally I figure out how to make sure the units don't merge, difficult to explain without a screenshot (don't know how to get one up sadly) I know you said that its not important, but I am just thinking that what if you wanted to put several un-merged units into a City (at somepoint that might be good to do, although at this early stage I guess I don't really know what I am talking about, only having played around two hours so far :)

Cheers

BlueGlow ;)

Hobbes

Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:49 pm

"I feel a total fool though as late last night I posted at the Paradox forum to say that these forums are all closed and it seemed like life here did'nt exist anymore, please accept my apology for posting that :lol: I am glad to see that your here anyway!"

I hope you posted a correction to this! :sourcil:

You will almost always get an answer on these forums. I hope you take a look through the old posts - many answers can be found there + the FAQ, Wiki and my own guide should be of help :-

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=4213

The tutorial and small scenarios give you a basic idea of how to play the game but they do have some flaws that the main campaign doesn't have. (I think it's close to perfect but improvements from both AGEOD and players will still be made).

Cheers, Chris

BlueGlow
Conscript

Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:38 pm

Hobbes wrote:"I feel a total fool though as late last night I posted at the Paradox forum to say that these forums are all closed and it seemed like life here did'nt exist anymore, please accept my apology for posting that :lol: I am glad to see that your here anyway!"

I hope you posted a correction to this! :sourcil:

You will almost always get an answer on these forums. I hope you take a look through the old posts - many answers can be found there + the FAQ, Wiki and my own guide should be of help :-

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=4213

The tutorial and small scenarios give you a basic idea of how to play the game but they do have some flaws that the main campaign doesn't have. (I think it's close to perfect but improvements from both AGEOD and players will still be made).

Cheers, Chris

I posted the following at the end of my post there:

Apologies, as I thought that the AGEOD Forums were no longer active, due to being closed for posting, things are fine now, so sorry for posting this here

Hope this was ok, I realise that how I worded that did'nt sound good :(

I'd never intentionally do anything like that :)

Thanks for the info, much obliged

Blueglow :)

Le Ricain

Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:47 am

BlueGlow wrote:
Finally I figure out how to make sure the units don't merge, difficult to explain without a screenshot (don't know how to get one up sadly) I know you said that its not important, but I am just thinking that what if you wanted to put several un-merged units into a City (at somepoint that might be good to do, although at this early stage I guess I don't really know what I am talking about, only having played around two hours so far :)

Cheers

BlueGlow ;)

It is good that you figured out how to make sure units will not merge. However, in my experience dropping units into a city rarely results in the units merging. If they will merge, you will get the message and merge symbol and it is easy enough to fix the problem.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'Nous voilà, Lafayette'

Colonel C.E. Stanton, aide to A.E.F. commander John 'Black Jack' Pershing, upon the landing of the first US troops in France 1917

BlueGlow
Conscript

Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:58 am

I take your point and realised by chance that when I drop my units into a City for the first time they actually don't merge, but if I straight away did the same thing then they do, still its sorted and I'm glad of the help you gave :)

BlueGlow

Primasprit

Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:02 am

You may simply press 'Ctrl-L' to lock/unlock all units from merging. :cwboy:

But the right-click on the unit tab should work too:

Cheers
Norbert

BlueGlow
Conscript

Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:39 am

Primasprit wrote:You may simply press 'Ctrl-L' to lock/unlock all units from merging. :cwboy:

But the right-click on the unit tab should work too:

Cheers
Norbert

Great you saved me the trouble of trying to find out how to make a few screenshots of the way to lock units, thank you, It took me an age to figure out and find the tabs, don't ask me why, just dumb and :nuts: I guess

Ctrl-L is even better

Cheers

I know this is probably not the right place to ask this but I am not sure where else to post it, so please forgive me if this is the wrong place, about Combat, (I did find a thread purely by chance through google, but it ended with not a complete answer) I find that when units fight I can't see any animation, something comes up and in the blink of an eye its gone and I then see the results, I know this game is not just about fancy graphics and I don't expect that, but whatever comes up, goes before I can make any sense of it, any news on if there is a way to make it stay longer or if anything is being done about it? just seems a shame that I can't see what it actually is showing :(

Rekka
Private

Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:08 am

BlueGlow wrote:I know this is probably not the right place to ask this but I am not sure where else to post it, so please forgive me if this is the wrong place, about Combat, (I did find a thread purely by chance through google, but it ended with not a complete answer) I find that when units fight I can't see any animation, something comes up and in the blink of an eye its gone and I then see the results, I know this game is not just about fancy graphics and I don't expect that, but whatever comes up, goes before I can make any sense of it, any news on if there is a way to make it stay longer or if anything is being done about it? just seems a shame that I can't see what it actually is showing :(

Hello, there is an option in the option menu where you can choose the length of the combat animation but i can't remember the exact name. You should be able to find it reading the tooltips. :)

BlueGlow
Conscript

Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:51 pm

Hi,

Only option I can see is something about delay, don't have the game going at the moment though, but its something like: masked, low, etc........I tried them all but it still seems so fast..........so not sure what to make of it.

Thanks anyway

ird
Sergeant

Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:30 pm

Hi,

I've just got this game too (had to wait an extra week cos of the mail strike) - I've done the tutorials and did notice that the first one didn't quite correlate correctly to what I was being told in the tutorial. It doesn't affect the tutorial to the extent that you can't follow what's going on but it does make things a little confusing - I'm assuming that this is a result of the patches altering things slightly whilst the tutorial text obviously remains unaltered.
Anyway, I've got through the tutorials, read the manual (ish) and am all ready for my first scenario - is Shiloh a good starting point for a beginner??

BlueGlow
Conscript

Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:21 pm

Your a better person than me if after doing the Tutorials you are ready for the real thing, personally I will need to go through the Tutorials a few more times to get the hang if it, for me its very complex to get my head around, as for the best starting point for a beginner, someone else will have to advise, sorry but I can't help you there.

BlueGlow

Le Ricain

Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:03 pm

Shiloh is a good starting scenario, but probably the easiest is Bull Run.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'Nous voilà, Lafayette'

ird
Sergeant

Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:41 pm

Thanks, I'll give Bull Run a go - just tried Shiloh as the Union and it ended in stalemate.
I can't believe how much there is to the game - and you only have a few things to worry about in the scenario. I can see this game keeping me occupied for a long long time

ird
Sergeant

Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:42 pm

BlueGlow wrote:Your a better person than me if after doing the Tutorials you are ready for the real thing, personally I will need to go through the Tutorials a few more times to get the hang if it, for me its very complex to get my head around, as for the best starting point for a beginner, someone else will have to advise, sorry but I can't help you there.

BlueGlow

I think "very complex" is an understatement!!!!

BlueGlow
Conscript

Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:13 am

ird wrote:I think "very complex" is an understatement!!!!

This is why I am hopeless at it

Blueglow

Pocus

Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:35 am

Are the tutorials showing discrepancies, do you confirm? Indeed, the patches can have altered the veracity in them.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

ird
Sergeant

Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:40 pm

Pocus wrote:Are the tutorials showing discrepancies, do you confirm? Indeed, the patches can have altered the veracity in them.

Yes, it seemed to do so. The main issue was in the first tutorial - the units were different to what the text was indictaing they should be so it was not possible to group the units together as the tutorial was asking me to do - and this had a knock on affect throughout the tutorial - unless it was just me getting confused but I don't think so

Primasprit

Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:32 pm

I will check that and adapt it, if needed.

Return to “AACW Strategy discussions”