Leeds
Corporal

Reinforcement Question?

Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:19 pm

The strategy guide recommends that reinforcements be recruited in divisions, does this mean that I should try to recruit all available units for a particular state rather then unilaterally?

Also, where does a reinforcement typically appear and how long does it take to appear?

Thanks

Daniel_Morgan
Corporal

Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:52 pm

Leeds wrote:The strategy guide recommends that reinforcements be recruited in divisions, does this mean that I should try to recruit all available units for a particular state rather then unilaterally?

Also, where does a reinforcement typically appear and how long does it take to appear?

Thanks

It recommends when you recruit that you recruit by division. In other wrods purchase all the componenst of a division at once and preferably in the same state. (Not always possible)

The reinforcements can show up just about anywhere in the state in one of the towns.

What I do is usually recruit by division in a single state or maybe two neighboring states. Once the reinforcements can travel (which can take several turns for some units like arty), I pick a muster point, and railroad them all to the same place with a couple of leaders (Hoping I can get at least one to activate and form the division.) Then I send the division off to wherever it needs to go..

Not recruiting by state I find leads to confusion and its easy to forget what goes where ;)

Does that answer the question?? :D
"I intend to make Georgia howl". -William Tecumseh Sherman

Leeds
Corporal

Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:45 am

Thanks much

Cromagnonman
Brigadier General

Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:42 am

I have recently started taking notes each turn on what reinforcements I buy and their intended purpose. The next turn, I track down all the purchased brigades and amend my notes with their names. This is especially helpful when I can't afford to buy a whole division in a single turn, can't recruit all the brigades in the same state, and/or am fleshing out an extant unit. When it takes 2-3 turns for a brigade to form and a few more for it to get to the front, it can be toigh to remember why you bought the danged thing in the first place.

It also comes in handy when purchasing a large number of units. For instance, in early Jan '63 I purchased 16 (!) new divisions all acrost these US of A. Taking notes helped me make sure I purchased 17 elements for each intended division, and got them all mustered and mobilized as fast as possible, and most were in place by the Spring thaw.

One bit of advice: if you can't buy a division all at once, buy the artillery first, because it takes a turn longer to form than do cavalry or infantry. Plus, at least as the Union, they're usually found farther from the front (WI, MI, OH, PA, NJ, NY, MA for arty brigades versus MO, IA, IL, IN, WV, MD, DE for inf/cav only brigades).
"firstest with the mostest"

"I fights mit Sigel"

Return to “AACW Strategy discussions”