GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Industrialization Discussion

Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:27 pm

Cannons roar;
Horses scream;
the dead bodies lie everywhere.

On a more prosaical note (haiku is just too darn easy for an Irishman ;) ), the following is submitted as a short, mini-AAR/feedback on a 1.14rc14 game I've been playing as the US for the last week or so.

* April 61 with KY ON.
* Started as 1.14rc12; patched up to 13 and now 14 as it progressed.

-- Am now in Jan 63. Took Richmond a month ago in Early Dec 62. The AI went after Ft. Monroe just a little too enthusiastically and left Richmond sorely unguarded. AI defended upper Valley in considerable strength.

-- I don't know CSA resource management well, having never played it, but the AI spent a lot of effort in the central West.

-- AI raided in the East with Johnston in strength, getting up to Trenton, NJ.

-- The AI raided and counter attacked in KY and OH quite seriously. I am only now recovering Ashland, OH and Clarksburg, KY. AI still holds Prestonburg and Bowling Green.

-- Couldn't seize Paducah and Columbus, KY until quite recently. Just seized Ft. Donelson.

-- Have yet to take Springfield, MO.

So, I'm actually a year 'behind schedule', although have seized Richmond. Haven't had the time or resources to mount an attack on New Orleans from the Gulf.

In general, the CSA force sizes have been suprisingly large. Any raiding, as such, has been in decent strength. A few Cavalry/Indian pinpricks out West, but not very many. In general, the CSA's presence has been in concentrated forces.

I wonder if losing brigades up North (if they're losing them - I think they are, at least some; Johnston's effort in the East in particular) is not actually counter-productive for the South. The attacks have been fairly serious and quite bothersome (one went to Columbus, OH!), but do they eventually sap resources that could be better spent in defense?

Also, I started out with Light Industrialization in about seven States - the biggest bottleneck for the first fourteen months has been lack of money. I wonder if I overdid the Industry. The US seems to be a little strapped for resources in the early game; also, RR and River management is a bit more resource hungry.

Just some observations. Game seems more challenging for the US.
[color="#AFEEEE"]"Liberty and Union, now and forever, one and inseparable!"[/color]
-Daniel Webster

[color="#FFA07A"]"C'mon, boys, we got the damn Yankees on the run!"[/color]
-General Joseph Wheeler, US Army, serving at Santiago in 1898

RULES
(A) When in doubt, agree with Ace.
(B) Pull my reins up sharply when needed, for I am a spirited thoroughbred and forget to turn at the post sometimes.

ohms_law
AGEod Veteran

Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:14 pm

GraniteStater wrote:Also, I started out with Light Industrialization in about seven States - the biggest bottleneck for the first fourteen months has been lack of money. I wonder if I overdid the Industry. The US seems to be a little strapped for resources in the early game; also, RR and River management is a bit more resource hungry.

Keeping in mind that I play as CSA, it's my experience that you shouldn't even think about industrializing until at least late '62, if not late '63.

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:38 pm

Well, in general, I'm a bit hazy about Industrialization, anyway. My experience, solely as the Union, is that Light is sufficient - it's unclear to me why Medium and Heavy would be that useful. With just Light, by mid-game, I usually have more than enough men, money, and materiel to accomplish what I want to do.

In the game I'm posting about, New Yok's icon just recently vanished. Now, I almost never, never, run any kind of a deficit for a turn, but the disappearance of the icon tells me that I had insufficient resources to maintain the LightIndy in the State for at least one turn. Either that, or I have enough industry there.

The whole economic model is just a little bit unclear to me. It's not incomprehensible, just a little unclear. I've arrived at some preliminary conclusions, but still would like to know it better. Some more experimentation is probably in order.

POETICAL ADDENDUM
I messed up my haiku, I think - it's supposed to be seventeen syllables, isn't it?
[color="#AFEEEE"]"Liberty and Union, now and forever, one and inseparable!"[/color]

-Daniel Webster

RULES

(B) Pull my reins up sharply when needed, for I am a spirited thoroughbred and forget to turn at the post sometimes.

ohms_law
AGEod Veteran

Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:49 pm

The icon's will vanish if you overspend. You can't actually run a deficit in the game...

You would want to use greater then light industrialization in order to gain more resources per turn.

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:03 pm

ohms_law wrote:The icon's will vanish if you overspend. You can't actually run a deficit in the game...

You would want to use greater then light industrialization in order to gain more resources per turn.

* Could you elucidate on the first point, if you will?

* On the second---hmm. Doesn't opting for Medium or Heavy pour more resources into the State per turn? I do need some for RR/River, building armies, etc., isn't that so? Or are you talking about rate of return effects? If you are, are you saying that a steep investment now pays dividends later on? And if that is the case, don't you want to turn the spigot off at some point?

-Daniel Webster

RULES

ohms_law
AGEod Veteran

Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:13 pm

If you overspend (Either money, conscripts, or war supply is in the red/negative), then the game removes items that you're attempting to purchase, until your balance is no longer in the red.

As for the rate of expansion, the more that you put into an individual state the more the resource will increase per turn. Don't over think it, it's really that simple.
There's really very little (if any) reason to increase your material production in AACW. However, you can "turn on" or "turn off" additional production as you see fit.

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:15 pm

@gchristie: Thanks for the clarification - I shall be more strict from now on; perhaps I have found my metier (I love punning off a foreign language).

@ohms_law: My understanding is that you make an investment in State A. Each turn, the amount that was specified for the initial investment (so much $$ and WS) is poured into State A. The Message Box tells you periodically that stuff is being built in State A. The number of Supply Wagons, money, WS, recruits, etc., being generated for any given turn is displayed when you mouseover. Theoretically, these amounts keep increasing; whether they continue to increase when no additional factories, workshops, etc., are being built is an open question.

So it seems to me that you are saying that one can invest what one wishes and when a certain satisfactory level is reached, cease the Industry investment. Furthermore, you seem to imply that one should go whole hog at first and then throttle down. Still, one is limited in the early game; the pressure to build troops is tremendous.

Also, as the Union, I most certainly wish to use my industrial and production advantage as much and as early as I can, and also need to, to a large degree, just to keep things going.

I don't wish to hijack the thread, but am discussing this now while the subject is before us.

-Daniel Webster

RULES

Gray_Lensman

Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:24 pm

deleted

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:36 pm

Thank you, GL.

Here's a summary of what I (normal typeface) and ohms_law (underlined) have discussed. The context is a 1.14rc14 game I am playing as the Union; Apr61 w/KY start:

...started out with Light Industrialization in about seven States - the biggest bottleneck for the first fourteen months has been lack of money. I wonder if I overdid the Industry. The US seems to be a little strapped for resources in the early game; also, RR and River management is a bit more resource hungry.

Keeping in mind that I play as CSA, it's my experience that you shouldn't even think about industrializing until at least late '62, if not late '63.

My experience, solely as the Union, is that Light is sufficient - it's unclear to me why Medium and Heavy would be that useful. With just Light, by mid-game, I usually have more than enough men, money, and materiel to accomplish what I want to do.

In the game I'm posting about, New Yok's icon just recently vanished. Now, I almost never, never, run any kind of a deficit for a turn, but the disappearance of the icon tells me that I had insufficient resources to maintain the LightIndy in the State for at least one turn. Either that, or I have enough industry there.

The icon's will vanish if you overspend. You can't actually run a deficit in the game...

If you overspend (Either money, conscripts, or war supply is in the red/negative), then the game removes items that you're attempting to purchase, until your balance is no longer in the red.

As for the rate of expansion, the more that you put into an individual state the more the resource will increase per turn. Don't over think it, it's really that simple.
There's really very little (if any) reason to increase your material production in AACW. However, you can "turn on" or "turn off" additional production as you see fit.

My understanding is that you make an investment in State A. Each turn, the amount that was specified for the initial investment (so much $$ and WS) is poured into State A. The Message Box tells you periodically that stuff is being built in State A. The number of Supply Wagons, money, WS, recruits, etc., being generated for any given turn is displayed when you mouseover. Theoretically, these amounts keep increasing; whether they continue to increase when no additional factories, workshops, etc., are being built is an open question.

So it seems to me that you are saying that one can invest what one wishes and when a certain satisfactory level is reached, cease the Industry investment. Furthermore, you seem to imply that one should go whole hog at first and then throttle down. Still, one is limited in the early game; the pressure to build troops is tremendous.

Also, as the Union, I most certainly wish to use my industrial and production advantage as much and as early as I can, and also need to, to a large degree, just to keep things going.

-Daniel Webster

RULES

Colonel Dreux
Major

Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:41 pm

ohms_law wrote:Keeping in mind that I play as CSA, it's my experience that you shouldn't even think about industrializing until at least late '62, if not late '63.

I play as the CSA and always click one state light in industrialization from the beginning, and normally click 10 and 5 in RR and RT, sometimes more. I also don't ever print paper money (you can generate a lot of dollars by 1862 thanks to NM and VP). I only have a few turns where I can load up on reinforcements, but the Union doesn't do enough in 1861 for you to need a ton of troops.

I'll probably try your strategy and see what happens. I think you're probably right though and don't need to start with the industrialization until later when you can afford to do Heavy industrialization.
Oh my God, lay me down!

ohms_law
AGEod Veteran

Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:48 pm

Furthermore, you seem to imply that one should go whole hog at first and then throttle down.

Actually, exactly the opposite. It might be slightly different playing as the Union, but I don't think that it is. Both sides need replacements and reinforcements more then anything at the beginning of the war. Industrial production becomes more important only after you've managed to field the majority of your army.
After all, it does no good to build up production only to give it away to the enemy a couple of turns later.

ohms_law
AGEod Veteran

Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:50 pm

Colonel Dreux wrote:I play as the CSA and always click one state light in industrialization from the beginning, and normally click 10 and 5 in RR and RT, sometimes more. I also don't ever print paper money (you can generate a lot of dollars by 1862 thanks to NM and VP). I only have a few turns where I can load up on reinforcements, but the Union doesn't do enough in 1861 for you to need a ton of troops.

My strategy focuses on rail and river transport improvements alone, at least for the first couple of years.
I'm always limited by War Supplies during that time frame, anyway.

cwjelen
Conscript

Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:05 pm

When playing the CSA I mostly build Brigs used as Blockade Runners and send them mainly to the Gulf Blockade. When industrialising, you don´t know, what you get, while Blockade Runners deliver money or/and WS depending on what you need.

soloswolf
General of the Army

Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:02 pm

ohms_law wrote:If you overspend (Either money, conscripts, or war supply is in the red/negative), then the game removes items that you're attempting to purchase, until your balance is no longer in the red.

Correct. I am not sure how the game decides which item(s) to drop though. It may be take items off the 'bottom' of your list. (i.e. the last ones you selected) It may take the biggest away until you are clear. Again, I'm not sure.

ohms_law wrote:As for the rate of expansion, the more that you put into an individual state the more the resource will increase per turn. Don't over think it, it's really that simple.

This is incorrect. Here's how industrializing works: For each level of industry you select (0-3) each city in that state gets a chance to give a bonus. The larger a city is, the more likely it will give you a bonus. So, if you select 'light' each city in that state gets one chance to give a return on your investment.

As a guide, the game tells you what return you stand to get from the state. (Excellent, Average, etc.) This description is based on the average size of all cities in that state. Which is why Wisconsin has an excellent rating.

ohms_law wrote:There's really very little (if any) reason to increase your material production in AACW. However, you can "turn on" or "turn off" additional production as you see fit.

As the Federals, you really don't need to industrialize. Money is your bottleneck and spending on industrialization only makes it worse. If you choose to do it, avoid the high cost states like NY.
My name is Aaron.

Knight of New Hampshire

ohms_law
AGEod Veteran

Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:12 pm

Correct. I am not sure how the game decides which item(s) to drop though. It may be take items off the 'bottom' of your list. (i.e. the last ones you selected) It may take the biggest away until you are clear. Again, I'm not sure.

I'm not sure, either. There's got to be some sort of precidence list somewhere, but as far as I know it's never been made public. Regardless, I simply make sure that I'm never negative anything any more, and there's simply no problem...

This is incorrect.

Right, but, he's already overthinking the whole thing. No need to encourage things.
;)

On second thought though, it's best to provide all of the accurate info rather then to be coy about it.

As the Federals, you really don't need to industrialize. Money is your bottleneck and spending on industrialization only makes it worse. If you choose to do it, avoid the high cost states like NY.

Exactly.

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:21 pm

I've recently discovered the value of industrializations in terms of supplying your troops. The amount of food and bullets...in my opinion is just as...if not MORE important to your efforts as gaining WS.

WS, in my humble opinion, is just a bonus...but where the real meat of your investment lies is with those little armories, weapons stores, and supply centers that are built to increase a state's supply potential.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Have you ever stopped to think and forgot to start??

ohms_law
AGEod Veteran

Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:27 pm

As the Confederates, that's certainly true. Supply issues in general are absolutely vital to surviving as the CSA.

One thing that helps is to build internal supply depots thoughtout the south, as much as is feasible. Getting Georgia and Florida, Arkansas and Texas into your supply chain can work wonders.

Jim-NC

Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:09 am

Industrialization is a must for large armies that move far away from your supply base. The system moves supply from manufacturing sources to needed areas. The higher the supply "pressure", the better you are at moving supply forward.

Pressure - high levels of supply in the rear areas. Without it, you have trouble pushing long distances.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Dixicrat
General

Excess supply is lost

Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:30 am

Jim-NC wrote:Industrialization is a must for large armies that move far away from your supply base. The system moves supply from manufacturing sources to needed areas. The higher the supply "pressure", the better you are at moving supply forward.

Pressure - high levels of supply in the rear areas. Without it, you have trouble pushing long distances.

IIRC, excessive levels of supply "rot", and you lose everything above the ceiling level at that depot or supply center, no matter whether it's produced there or pushed in, from elsewhere.

ohms_law
AGEod Veteran

Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:41 am

Yup.

The above is why I mentioned building "internal" supply depots. If Cities in Georgia are building all sorts of supply, for example, it doesn't do you any good if that supply can't get to Virginia or Tennessee...

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:51 am

soloswolf wrote:Correct. I am not sure how the game decides which item(s) to drop though. It may be take items off the 'bottom' of your list. (i.e. the last ones you selected) It may take the biggest away until you are clear. Again, I'm not sure.

This is incorrect. Here's how industrializing works: For each level of industry you select (0-3) each city in that state gets a chance to give a bonus. The larger a city is, the more likely it will give you a bonus. So, if you select 'light' each city in that state gets one chance to give a return on your investment.

As a guide, the game tells you what return you stand to get from the state. (Excellent, Average, etc.) This description is based on the average size of all cities in that state. Which is why Wisconsin has an excellent rating.

At he risk of 'overthinking' (actually, all I want to do is understand it, so I can make plausible decisions), let me address a couple of points:

* Thx, Soloswolf, for spelling it out. I did know why WI was Excellent, but a good idea to make things clear.

* I dunno about your demurrer about the North, though. My limited experience has tended to make me believe that, as the North, I'm gonna need whole boatloads of Stuff All Around. For one thing, if you look at the mouseover on several States, it leads me to believe that, among other things, you can increase your manpower in a given State.

* My most recent game (Beta rc14) included MD and NY, because, if I have it right, they are the only two Northern States that will increase money - not dramatically, but an increase, nonetheless.

* Modelling of the game: "Mr. Lincoln, do you think we should encourage industrialists in New England, New York, and the upper Midwest?" - "Naah, we don't need it, we're fine." Uuhh, methinks not, as far as historicity goes.

* And also, to repeat (with modelling in mind): as the North, I want to press my advantage in production as much and as quickly as I can; given my present understanding, not at the expense of undercutting my army and navy buildup, but still, I want to use this advantage as much as I can.

* I find that consideration for Supplies and RR/River should also be given.

In short, to conduct an invasion across half a continent on three fronts at the same time, co-ordinate this, garrison RRs, depots, and occupied territories, build and maintain a navy and possibly a number of amphibious fronts - well, call me crazy, but it seems to me that Requires a Whole Lotta Stuff.

I want to know how to produce and manage the Stuff efficaciously.

-Daniel Webster

RULES

phantomfeather
Corporal

Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:36 pm

GraniteStater wrote:Cannons roar;
Horses scream;
the dead bodies lie everywhere.

On a more prosaical note (haiku is just too darn easy for an Irishman ;) ), the following is submitted as a short, mini-AAR/feedback on a 1.14rc14 game I've been playing as the US for the last week or so.

* April 61 with KY ON.
* Started as 1.14rc12; patched up to 13 and now 14 as it progressed.

-- Am now in Jan 63. Took Richmond a month ago in Early Dec 62. The AI went after Ft. Monroe just a little too enthusiastically and left Richmond sorely unguarded. AI defended upper Valley in considerable strength.

-- I don't know CSA resource management well, having never played it, but the AI spent a lot of effort in the central West.

-- AI raided in the East with Johnston in strength, getting up to Trenton, NJ.

-- The AI raided and counter attacked in KY and OH quite seriously. I am only now recovering Ashland, OH and Clarksburg, KY. AI still holds Prestonburg and Bowling Green.

-- Couldn't seize Paducah and Columbus, KY until quite recently. Just seized Ft. Donelson.

-- Have yet to take Springfield, MO.

So, I'm actually a year 'behind schedule', although have seized Richmond. Haven't had the time or resources to mount an attack on New Orleans from the Gulf.

In general, the CSA force sizes have been suprisingly large. Any raiding, as such, has been in decent strength. A few Cavalry/Indian pinpricks out West, but not very many. In general, the CSA's presence has been in concentrated forces.

I wonder if losing brigades up North (if they're losing them - I think they are, at least some; Johnston's effort in the East in particular) is not actually counter-productive for the South. The attacks have been fairly serious and quite bothersome (one went to Columbus, OH!), but do they eventually sap resources that could be better spent in defense?

Also, I started out with Light Industrialization in about seven States - the biggest bottleneck for the first fourteen months has been lack of money. I wonder if I overdid the Industry. The US seems to be a little strapped for resources in the early game; also, RR and River management is a bit more resource hungry.

Just some observations. Game seems more challenging for the US.

I've played enough games on both sides to, at least, have a clue about industrialization. With the USA it's been a simple matter: I max out New York & Wisconsin almost immediately. These are both excellent in terms of production potential plus they're both far enough to the rear so that CSA raids and/or invasions are not bothersome. It doesn't take very long for production to far exceed your needs. I haven't bothered to industralize beyond that point.

As to the CSA, it's a debatable point. I've seen the discussions to invest in blockade runners which is a strategy I personally haven't tried. As CSA I'll max out Georgia ASAP for industrialization. It's the best state (Average) for production in the CSA. Beyond this everything gets dicey. I have maxed out Virginia at times with good results. In fact, I've had Virginia (Below Average) out produce Georgia production by 1863. The Virginia strategy is debatable because the USA will play havoc with you in this state. I have also used North Carolina (Below Average) & South Carolina (Below Average) separately (in conjunction with Georgia) as my bases for industrialization. These have been successful, but not as much as Virginia, & are largely a little harder for the USA to get at.

I've found no matter which side you play you probably won't need to industrialize any other states. Hint: When you lose a state capitol you will LOSE all industrial production for that state until you recapture the capitol.

It's definitely tougher as the CSA player to invest in anything because of the smaller resources. But this strategy has worked for me, at least, against the AI. The biggest problem I've had with CSA is that early in the game, especially once the USA gets its strength up, is the lack of railroad points.

I'll check the strategy of building blockade runners for the CSA soon.

Vegetius
General

Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:59 pm

I use to start industrialization with CSA early October 61 untill end December 61, especially in Georgia (medium or high), Virginia (low) and Mississipi (low):

- Georgia is the best location but not so efficient compared to Union ones.
- Virginia is the state where the concentration of troops is the most important (and so for supplies).
- Mississipi can sypply easily armies in Tennessee without being too much threaten by Union forces from Kentucky and Illinois.

In 62, my policy about industrialization depends of my pool of WS.

With USA, i have never use the industrialization option.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Lew
Private

Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:27 am

After playing several games, but only against the AI, I think I've more-or-less figured out how to effectively spend WS and $ in 1861 and early 1862.

As the Union:
1. I ensure I'm building enough units (including artillery and warships) to keep military parity with the CSA on land and get a strong blockade going at sea. Against the AI, this is easy and will leave quite a bit left over. Against a human, however...

2. With what's left over from #1, I buy all the possible transports early and get at least 30 into the shipping box. That's almost 70 WS or $ per turn, and the wonderful thing is that the game gives you more of the one you lack.

3. With what's left over from #2, I steadily (but not hastily) build up transport points. You'll need a lot of rail and riverine points to both move your forces about and keep them supplied in enemy territory. The key here is to continually assess your needs and build just barely enough. The more you have, the more will get lost through attrition every turn.

4. With what's left over from #3, I industrialize. This will give you WS (and other nice-to-haves, like supplies). Some will object that WS is super-abundant, but that's where those lovely transports come in. If you make more WS and run a surplus, your transports will bring in more $. And there's no such things as too much $.

New York is by far the best place to industrialize. It costs more than any other state, sure, but the returns are disproportionately large. Wisconsin is a fine second choice; NJ, PA, and DE give decent value for money.

I normally stop industrializing when I'm producing > 200 WS/turn, which I try to make happen in winter of '61 or spring of '62. After that, it's "build a big stick and squash johnny reb flat".

As the Confederacy:
1. I either a) spend everything on the military and seek a sudden victory, or b) spend enough to prevent getting run over by the Union early and cause at least some disruption to its gathering forces.

2. With what's left over from #1, I devote to building up just enough transport to get forces to the front, maneuver forces to parry Union thrusts, and sometimes land a few blows myself. Even +100 rail and +30 riverine will make all the difference.

3. With what's left over from #2, I spend on blockade runners. They're hugely effective against the AI and make the difference between a CSA that lives from hand to mouth to one with serious wriggle room. Against a human player who knows how to conduct a blockade I would be a lot more cautious here, because I suspect (without proof) that a well-conducted blockade can make it cost-ineffective for the CSA to keep any significant number of runners at sea. I don't spend anything on commerce raiders, having never gotten a worthwhile return from them even against the AI.

4. With what's left over from #3 - and that's often nothing! - I put into a little more transport to improve my supply situation and further boost strategic mobility and indulge in a little industrialization in Georgia.

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:44 pm

Thx for the suggestions, Lew.

-Daniel Webster

RULES

Pdubya64
Captain

An older discussion of Industrialization

Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:25 pm

Hi Guys:

Here is a link to a previous discussion of Industrialization with input from AGEOD. It may be slightly outdated, you'd have to ask Gray Lensman, but for the most part it covers the things people have asked here:

CSA War Supplies

Hope this helps! :sherlock:
"Yonder stands Jackson like a stone wall; let us go to his assistance." - CSA BrigGen Barnard Bee at First Manassas

Franciscus

Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:48 pm

I do not claim to be an expert on this topic as I do not really care that much about this type of minutiae... :)
What I know is that the return of industrialization is random and follows a kind of diminishing returns law.
What I usually do as CSA is invest one or 2 "factories" in 1 or 2 states, and changing the states every other turn or so, not worrying about reaching max industrialization level in anyone. I try to avoid "risky" states - ie, where the capital might be a risk of being taken, and tend to follow "historicity" - ie, I will not invest much in Florida or Missouri, but tend to go more to Georgia, Virginia, the Carolinas, etc.
I am generally happy with the results.

ohms_law
AGEod Veteran

Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:33 pm

As the CSA, it's much more effective to purchase brigs and transports for use as blockade runners then it is to attempt to industrialize. For one thing, it's simply cheaper. It's more targeted as well, which is good since as the Confederates you need to worry about money and WS more then you do as the Union.
Most importantly though, you simply don't need more money or WS then blockade running can provide. The limiting factor for the CSA becomes conscripts by mid-game.

Colonel Dreux
Major

Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:38 pm

I've played the game several different ways now with regards to industrialization and pretty much everything works cause in the end I end up pouring grapeshot into Athena's face... decapitating her. :thumbsup:

I prefer a long game. I've also modded many of the officer's stats to my liking. Union generals tend to be better. A few Confederates are upgraded. Many on both sides get specialty upgrades.

I never print money. You can play a long game as the CSA and never print money. It's not too difficult. You just have to be patient and realize won't overwhelm you the very first year even if they send all kinds of attacks South. The settings I have it on now lead, plus the better Union generals, leads to all kinds of attacks in Virginia, Arkansas, and Tennessee in '61. Sometimes I've let them take regions, while pulling back and consolidating my forces, etc... but if you get your guys together you can take the Union forces on one at a time and handle them. Sometimes the do get to Richmond, but you can knock them out shortly therafter.

Anyway, industrialization works for the South if you either build slow and have patience (low industry in one state per turn... plus brigs), or you build your army and transportation up for a year and only build brigs with no industrialization. It all works.

The one thing I haven't tried is absolutely no brigs. I'm not sure that it is a good idea. Also, some of have said you need 20 to 24 brigs as the CSA... i think you can make do with 12 all put in the Gulf Coast box. I've built the 24 and you end having a ton of WS and money, but way more than you need actually. With 12 brigs in the box you'll generate plenty though and not ever run out wants your NM and VP have gone up later in the game.
Oh my God, lay me down!

phantomfeather
Corporal

Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:59 pm

Lew wrote:After playing several games, but only against the AI, I think I've more-or-less figured out how to effectively spend WS and $ in 1861 and early 1862.

As the Union:
1. I ensure I'm building enough units (including artillery and warships) to keep military parity with the CSA on land and get a strong blockade going at sea. Against the AI, this is easy and will leave quite a bit left over. Against a human, however...

2. With what's left over from #1, I buy all the possible transports early and get at least 30 into the shipping box. That's almost 70 WS or $ per turn, and the wonderful thing is that the game gives you more of the one you lack.

3. With what's left over from #2, I steadily (but not hastily) build up transport points. You'll need a lot of rail and riverine points to both move your forces about and keep them supplied in enemy territory. The key here is to continually assess your needs and build just barely enough. The more you have, the more will get lost through attrition every turn.

4. With what's left over from #3, I industrialize. This will give you WS (and other nice-to-haves, like supplies). Some will object that WS is super-abundant, but that's where those lovely transports come in. If you make more WS and run a surplus, your transports will bring in more $. And there's no such things as too much $.

New York is by far the best place to industrialize. It costs more than any other state, sure, but the returns are disproportionately large. Wisconsin is a fine second choice; NJ, PA, and DE give decent value for money.

I normally stop industrializing when I'm producing > 200 WS/turn, which I try to make happen in winter of '61 or spring of '62. After that, it's "build a big stick and squash johnny reb flat".

As the Confederacy:
1. I either a) spend everything on the military and seek a sudden victory, or b) spend enough to prevent getting run over by the Union early and cause at least some disruption to its gathering forces.

2. With what's left over from #1, I devote to building up just enough transport to get forces to the front, maneuver forces to parry Union thrusts, and sometimes land a few blows myself. Even +100 rail and +30 riverine will make all the difference.

3. With what's left over from #2, I spend on blockade runners. They're hugely effective against the AI and make the difference between a CSA that lives from hand to mouth to one with serious wriggle room. Against a human player who knows how to conduct a blockade I would be a lot more cautious here, because I suspect (without proof) that a well-conducted blockade can make it cost-ineffective for the CSA to keep any significant number of runners at sea. I don't spend anything on commerce raiders, having never gotten a worthwhile return from them even against the AI.

4. With what's left over from #3 - and that's often nothing! - I put into a little more transport to improve my supply situation and further boost strategic mobility and indulge in a little industrialization in Georgia.

There's some very good advice here, Lew. I'll probably try to employ some of it myself.

I've tried the building brigs, a.k.a., blockade runners & they do produce some of the things you need as the CSA player. It's tough to do at first because the war supplies are so limited. I used it in conjunction of maxing out Georgia with Industrialization ASAP. Eventually I also maxed out Virginia but at a much slower rate. As long as Richmond is held it's not much of a problem. The way the AI plays as the USA though makes it very feasible to move the capital elsewhere, in particular Atlanta. The AI seems to lose a lot of VPs with its decisions.

The biggest problem with the strategy that I employed was railroad use. There are times when the AI will slip behind you to cut off Richmond & take Raleigh & Wilmington. This forced me to slow march overland because of the lack of RR points. But it's near impossible not to create military units or the USA will run you over.

But brigs seem to work pretty well in both boxes, especially the Gulf Box.

Return to “AACW Strategy discussions”