GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Finding Game Settings

Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:01 pm

OK, here's the deal:

* Often, I save particular game instances as "VH Apr61" (Very Hard April 61 start), etc. I have one I saved as "Detplus2AggLow" (the AI Detection is two hash marks up and Aggresion is Low). From inside the application, the user can see what the start date is, and which side, obviously.

* But how about the difficulty level, etc.?

* Obviously, there are limits to naming - one can't write a paragraph for a save's name.

* Went to the SaveGame files (I'm on 7 on this machine) - didn't see anything that tells me the config of the last load.

* The Options menu seems to stay with the user's last choices, even if a save is loaded and a turn run - I did this with a known Hard Difficulty file and the options were still at my last choices (Very Hard, in this case).

* So how does the user find out the settings of a savegame file?

BTW, I'm very conversant with back ends - I document software & systems for a living - but know enough to know that I'm dangerous and I err on the side of caution when exploring game files.

Thanks,
GraniteStater
[color="#AFEEEE"]"Liberty and Union, now and forever, one and inseparable!"[/color]
-Daniel Webster

[color="#FFA07A"]"C'mon, boys, we got the damn Yankees on the run!"[/color]
-General Joseph Wheeler, US Army, serving at Santiago in 1898

RULES
(A) When in doubt, agree with Ace.
(B) Pull my reins up sharply when needed, for I am a spirited thoroughbred and forget to turn at the post sometimes.

Gray_Lensman

Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:46 pm

deleted

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:55 pm

Thx, GL. I think I tried to open a .hst and got the 'unrecognized file' dialog box - I think. Can you open .hst's with Notepad, i. e., treat them as text files?

Oh, FWIW: how about some code preserving the Options from the last launch and a GDI call telling the GUI to show this (IOW, maybe just some text stating that this is the case) to the user? I know asking for code is going to be laughed out of court, but thought I'd make the suggestion anyway - IMVHO, could be 30 minutes work for a good codepusher.

I know, I know - AACW2, right? :)

Thanks, anyhow - I'll give it a whirl and post any favorable results - or even if I encounter more difficulties.
[color="#AFEEEE"]"Liberty and Union, now and forever, one and inseparable!"[/color]

-Daniel Webster

[color="#FFA07A"]"C'mon, boys, we got the damn Yankees on the run!"[/color]

-General Joseph Wheeler, US Army, serving at Santiago in 1898

RULES

(A) When in doubt, agree with Ace.

(B) Pull my reins up sharply when needed, for I am a spirited thoroughbred and forget to turn at the post sometimes.

Gray_Lensman

Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:09 pm

deleted

Return to “AACW Technical support / Aide technique”