ncuman
Corporal

Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:18 pm

Congratulations on your latest victory at Amherst. While I wouldn't call the victory a death blow for Banks, I think it does put him at a severe disadvantage for at least the rest of the summer. Keep up the good work. I think everyone agrees that this has been a great AAR.

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:53 pm

[color="Red"][SIZE="6"]Late July 62 result and Early August orders[/size][/color]

[SIZE="4"]Vicksburg falls.[/size]

[SIZE="3"]Hooker the toast of the nation[/size]

Wild scenes of jubilation on the streets of Washington. President calls for calm. From the steps of the White House insists that whilst the Confederacy is wounded the war is far from over.

Well thats the stunning headline out of the way. I'll come to the report in a minute or two. To remain in order though. Lets start as per usual with good old

[SIZE="3"]EASTERN THEATRE[/size]

Virginia

Hamiltons Corp marched on Petersburg and assaulted the Rebel positions on the morning of the 8th. Faced with such a superior force the Confederate defences were quickly overwhelmed. Hamilton set about constructing defenses immediately so that when Grant and the HQ staff eventually arrived preparations were well underway for holding of the citadel.

Thus the current deployments are as given below. McDowell made it back to Amherst without trouble. Franklins Corp has received much needed replacements following the major engagement earlier in the month and is close to full strength. At staff HQ the general assumption is that the Confederates must attempt to break the stanglehold that is slowly being applied by the Union forces or face the threat of starvation in the coming winter months.

There was one minor disappointment in the theatre during late July. It occured at Lynchburg where Shermans advance on Garysburg was twice blocked by Stuarts retiring cavalry. Unfortunately Sherman appears to have taken umbridge at the minor setback as he steadfastly refuses to advance during the forthcoming turn. He has been joined at Lynchburg by Pratts division from Christiansburg.

So now I have a real dilemma, if a very nice one, as to my future course of action. Below are the dispositions and the sizes of the Confederate forces before me, guarding Richmond. Longstreets Corp (mauled from the Amherst defeat but still formidable) entrenching at Richmond with Lee and Jackson to the South.

Now ALL and I do mean ALL of my Corp commanders are active. Dix, Whipple, Franklin, McDowell and Hamilton all up for the fray. Each Corp able to reach Richmond in a single move. Problem is I cannot co-ordinate the attack so they all arrive at the same time. I have to operate on the assumption that if I do march on Richmond and IF Lee and Jackson stay close to Longstreet and MTSG then there is a real danger of 'piecemeal defeats' for my Union troops.

There is also another wild card factor. Where the heck has JE Johnston who previously was at Richmond gone to? Is he underneath Stuarts cavalry. Whilst I have Kearny's cavalry division with Grant, JEB Stuarts screening ability is depriving me of much needed reconnaissance. I do need to know. Below are details of the size of his command which was at Richmond in Early July but is now off of my radar.

All in all I'm in a quandrie. Do I simply hold or do I make the bold move and assault Richmond on all fronts. Given my proposed move in Kentucky/Tennessee which you will read about shortly my leaning is to hold and let Banks make the first move. I'm not sure though. So I intend to walk the dogs on the beach and ponder on it for a few hours before coming to a final decision. When I have I will let you know :coeurs:

[SIZE="3"]WESTERN THEATRE[/size]

Mississippi

Well Joe Hooker carried out orders to the letter. He moved his troops from Meridian without delay. Stormed into Jackson on day 7 brushing the division of Forrest aside with considerable ease then moved swiftly onto Vicksburg. On day 14 his command assaulted the cities defences. Such was the speed of his attack that the defenders were completed routed. In all a stunning pair of victories. Mr Lincoln and the cabinet are so pleased they have authorised his immediate promotion to two star.

As you might expect after such a prodigious march Hookers division needs time to regroup and recover. This move must surely illicit a response from my opponent. Sadly Joe's out on a limb. There is no way I can possibly hold Vicksburg long term. I intend to burn the depot but remain in position this time around. If all goes well I intend to get the heck out of Vicksburg in August.

Tennessee

Again totally totally gridlocked. Little Mac, Thomas, Rosecrans and Foster continue to be inactive. Fortunately for me Banks seems reluctant to pull any of his Rebel troops away so in one sense its a mexican standoff which I suppose should suit me. Its just that doing nothing is not really my style of play (particularly when I'm playing the Union).

I see that we have another Corp at Fts Henry and Donelson now. I dont think there are any more troops. I suspect its my opponent getting rid of any command penalties he may have.

Kentucky/Tennessee

Well its here that I intend to make another push. Its a sizeable risk but if I can carry it off it will be worth it. Halleck is active. Only a 1-0-1 but he's active. OK, I am going in blind, breaking one of my own rules of 'eyes and ears' but I'm gambling that Banks has little in reserve. So I intend to try to sidestep Van Dorn at Gallatin. Instead I'm attempting to move through Clarksville then on to Nashville. It means storming the city over the Cumberland and there are bound to be defenders. A major river assault is not at all very healthy. I just hope not too many enemy hopefully a division at most is in residence. Anyway fingers crossed.

The move though will leave Bowling Green without any sort of garrison. So it is dangerous. I'm attempting to plug the gap by ordering every reserve unit forward as quickly as possible. Sadly over half of them...the Rome and New Albany contingents will take over 14 days to arrive. Ah well as my mother used to say 'you can't make omlettes without breaking eggs'

[SIZE="3"]TRANS-MISSISSIPPI[/size]

Missouri

Well Watie has disappeared back to his own lines. He engaged the Ft Leavenworth garrison again at Plattsburg. It was only a minor skirmish but Watie was victorious. Banks moved Quantrill to Lexington but my forces destroyed his raiders.

As you can see Sheridan and his cavalry division have arrived at St Joseph and I've recovered all of the lost possessions in the region. Now time for me to start to push south.

So to the 'odds and sods'

Economy - Nil

Drafts - Nil

Finances - Nil

Reinforcements - Nil

Replacements - 5 Line Infantry, 1 Cavalry, 1 Field Artillery

Foreign Intervention - minus 18. I really have no worries in this direction

NM for the Union is 106 against 100 for the Confederacy

I'm also starting to close the gap in respect of VP's. The South's stands at 1351 but mine has just tipped the 1000 mark.

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:19 pm

[color="Red"][SIZE="6"]Early August 62 additional orders[/size][/color]

Well good people I've done my pondering and the die is set.

Virginia

After much consideration I decided that to risk everything on an assault against Richmond was folly. Oh it might work but why chance it? Why now make such a rash move? To what end?

I'll continue to apply the pressure slowly as I have throughout 62. To look for the weaknesses and attempt to exploit them.

So its Dix to move on attack orders to support Whipple.

Franklin and McDowell are to advance with attack instructions into Buckingham.

Grant and Hamilton are to attempt to hold Petersburg. Hamilton is to blow the depot.

Kearny is to be detached from Grant and sent scurrying towards Garysburg to try to wrest it from the Rebels.

Sherman and Pratt are to move defensively from Lynchburg to Burkesville.

As for the Transmississippi I've refined my orders slightly.

Curtis and the cavalry are to attempt to outflank the enemy on the Missouri side and head towards Madison Arkansas. It will take more than the 15 days.

In Tennessee Fosters Corp at Columbus has sealed orders to move to beseige Island 10. It should take 26 days for his Corp to arrive.

Not showing with any map but Sheridan at St Joseph is ordered to Springfield. Again it will take more than the two weeks.

Oh and I forgot to mention in the Penninsula I'm detatching one of Milroys divisions to strengthen the bridgehead in Florida.

Injun
Lieutenant

Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:03 am

Gen'rll Soundoff,
Ya keep a comin, like a slow waltz. I see from your ARR that dem bad pesky officers can be used to some good. Now Gen'rl ya just have ya boys keep thar powder dry and aim low. By Jimminy ! Vicksburg in Union hands!

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:36 pm

Whilst I'm eagerly awaiting with crossed fingers the results of the Early August 62 moves that I've submitted to Banks a word or two as to my stategy in the Transmississippi is I think in order.

OK so my hope that Little Mac would be better than useless has turned out in this instance to be a dismal failure to date. But just wait till Meade arrives. I have no need for him in the East so to aid Little Mac he will be sent. That will make up for the loss of Lyons.

Now with Joe Hooker having taken Vicksburg I really do not reckon that my opponent can let him keep marauding through Mississipi. If I've called the numbers right that means Banks has....just has....to send someone like Polk south. Its because I firmly believe that is what will happen that I feel safe to move Foster to Island 10 and Curtis to Madison.

Have I called it wrong. Time will tell.

jokeon
Corporal

Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:20 pm

One thing I find difficult with strategic games before radio is the instantaneous transfer of knowledge. I suspect in real-life Hooker's adventure would not be known for some time? Similarly, the results of battles across a vast continent would be announced to different schedules. I guess where there is telegraph this is reduced.

Jim-NC

Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:59 pm

jokeon wrote:One thing I find difficult with strategic games before radio is the instantaneous transfer of knowledge. I suspect in real-life Hooker's adventure would not be known for some time? Similarly, the results of battles across a vast continent would be announced to different schedules. I guess where there is telegraph this is reduced.

jokeon - it is a gameplay device to know instantly. Without it, your generals would disappear, and you could not react to your opponents moves. For example, Sherman's march to the sea would be unworkable in game terms. As the union commander, his force would cease to exist, and then show up in Savannah GA some time later. As the Confederates, you would know where he was, and so could crush him. The union player would have no ability to do anything to affect the outcome. IMHO, as the leader/commander you want to be able to issue orders to your units, and know where they are/what they are doing.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ncuman
Corporal

Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:32 am

Soundoff,
I have noticed that you don;t seem to use much support units (field hospitals, balloons, etc.) Why is that? Do you think that they are more expensive than they are worth? Or is there some other reason?

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:11 am

ncuman wrote:Soundoff,
I have noticed that you don;t seem to use much support units (field hospitals, balloons, etc.) Why is that? Do you think that they are more expensive than they are worth? Or is there some other reason?

A reasonable misconception methinks of the way I play.

All I will say at this stage is that it largely depends on whether I'm playing the Union or the Confederacy. Assuming this game still has some way to go I'll explain more fully in the next few moves. Just stay tuned.

As a insight I'll say this. As the Union I never (and I do mean never) print money so in 61 and the early part of 62 cost is an issue for me. Particularly as I also do not believe (when playing the Union) in sitting back behind those lines at Washington and waiting for overwhelming odds......its just too gamey. So in the first 18 months of the war something has to give.

In the early months there are other reasons.....I'll explain my strategy further in the next turn or two......hopefully at least one may surprise you :love:

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:12 pm

[color="Red"][SIZE="6"]Early August 62 result and Late August Orders[/size][/color]

Virginia

Well on day 4 Phil Kearny, on his way to Garysburg found and engaged JEB Stuarts command. After a few hours of skirmish fighting the Confederate forces withdrew. The Union cavalry continued their advance but, on reaching Garysburg, found Johnstons Corp in residence so wisely retired.

Given that Kearny's troops have been on the move for well over a month now in enemy territory you might have expected Stuarts force to have repulsed him. I'd just want to re-emphasise though the value of keeping experienced troops alive. All of Kearny's cavalry are now two and three star experienced. Just look at how that effects the critical stats.

That was followed on day 14 by a further minor victory this time Sherman, at Burkeville, met an uncommanded rebel force that I suspect was making its way to reinforce Richmond. Still it was a victory and I'll take any of them that I can get (except phyrric ones).

Other than those two small engagements no further action occured. Whipple, Dix, Franklin and McDowell all advanced as ordered and now sit comfortably supporting each other on the outskirts of Richmond.

Hamilton blew the Petersburg depot, his troops rested and are now almost back to full strength. Sherman sits comfortably at Burkeville.

My only planned moves for late August are to retire Kearny to Burkeville and to move Sherman and Pratts divisions to Buckingham to strengthen the Corps of McDowell and Franklin.

Other than that I shall attempt to hold on all fronts. Its for the Rebels to take the initative now. I see no sense in trying to assault Richmond at this stage.....not with Longstreet and Jackson operating in tandem. No better to attempt to starve them out and bring my two remaining divisions that have been mustering at Alexandria forward in September.

Puts his preachers hat on....just my take. ;)

Now before I move on I'd just like to say a few words about strategy and refer any of you who may be new to the game to Runyan99's excellent work on how to play. They are wise words. I agree 100% with his assertion 'Consider that AACW is really not a game about battles' He argues very powerfully that the game is about 'planning and execution' Again I totally agree. I cannot as a player marshal my troops on the battlefield. I have no chance of placing my artillery on the high ground, of looking to outflank those enemy positions of ordering this or that brigade to advance or retire. The computer does all of that. All I see is the result. So its about trying to ensure that the right troops are in the right place at the right time in the right quantities then trusting to the dice roll and lady luck. Now I can aid that process by taking advantage of every opportunity offered to me. One of which is never attack if you have the chance to defend. In the current position thats exactly what I have. The opportunity to defend. The confederacy has to make a move to break my encirclement of Richmond. Particularly as I now do intend to send a fleet up the James to attempt to inhibit resupply further.

Which I suppose brings me on to what I consider to be the most important facet of the game. What Runyan calls 'Jockey for Position' Really nothing more nor less than good old fashioned maneuver. If you move your troops correctly then the battles will come but more often than not they will come on YOUR terms. When I started playing I believed that the game was about stunning victories....totally wiping out my opponents forces with brilliant swift moves. Most of the time that lead to chasing battles. The only real objective being to bring the enemy to battle and defeat him in the field. Generally it proved to be an unproductive strategy. Now my approach is much more considered (at least I think it is). As yours should be in PBEM mode. At the start of each year, as you can see, I try to set myself realistic targets. Sometimes I achieve them and more othertimes I do not. The thing is the targets keep me focused.

Anyway back to the map. Interestingly Magruder has disappeared from Hampton in the Penninsula....now where is he going to I wonder? I'd not be surprised if Banks is not planning an assault somewhere on my lines.

To reinforce my current doctrine in Virginia of awaiting my opponents response the power of those Rebel Corps is quite formidable. To even achieve 2 to 1 odds in my favour is highly problematic.

[SIZE="3"]LOWER SEABOARD[/size]

Florida

Now that Hunters command has regained it cohesion he has been given instructions to assault Blakeley. He could have reached Mobile but I'd rather keep it cautious. I'm bringing up the 4th Cavalry from Sparta to scout out whats at Mobile. At least thats the plan.

I did manage to embark one of Milroys divisions at Ft Monroe in the Pennisula. It sails to Ft Pickens on the first available tide. ETA is 17 days. That should provide much needed reinforcements into the region.

Mississippi

Well Joe Hooker received his promotion. His command recovered some valuable cohesion and the depot at Vicksburg was destroyed but not before his supply wagons were replenished.

To be expected Forrest and his cavalry returned and retook the Jackson depot. Pity really but not a move I could have prevented. Now I called it wrong as you will see in a moment. Neither Polk, nor any of the other Corp commanders around Columbus moved to counter Hooker. I think therefore that I'm able to leave him at Vicksburg until September. Given whats happened in Tennessee that seems to me a reasonable thing to do.

Now I could move Hookers command to Madison but I dont believe thats wise. It is tempting though. The reason is that whilst Curtis and his cavalry regiments are only 6 days march from Madison, Curtis has elected to become inactive so I cannot assault the depot. His troops only have supplies for this and next turn. If I simply move him to Madison without trying to carry the depot then I'm really gambling that in early September he will become active again. If it does not then his troops starve. I also have no idea what if anything is defending Madison. So what to do. I could turn Curtis back but that would be a waste. As I said I could move Hooker to him but I'd rather keep Hooker as the thorn he undoubtedly is. Thus I've decided that Curtis moves straight on by Madison with revised orders to join Hooker at Vicksburg.

Tennessee - East

Well he did it. By jove he did it. Halleck stormed Nashville. It does give me a nice feeling when a Union commander who most players would automatically consign to the dustbin turns up trumps. I know it does not happen often ( I never expect it to) but I do get a perverse sort of pleasure in knowing that my decision to keep poor (in gaming terms) commanders in the field does sometimes work.

Anyway this one I did call correctly. Banks had only a token force defending Nashville .....and no artillery to boot. Now that did hurt the CSA as the NM demonstrates.

I think it also blows a large hole in the current Confederate TransMississippi defensive line. Certainly Van Dorn at Gallatin is now out on a limb. I have rushed what troops I can to Bowling Green. Lets hope its enough should Banks decide that attack is the best form of defence.

Halleck has orders to attempt to hold.

Tennessee - Take2

Fosters Corp is still trudging its way to Island 10 through the swamps of Lake. Its expected to take another 14 days. The cohesion of his Corp (assuming no delays) will not be good. I may present Banks with an opportunity for Polk to do serious damage to Fosters command. Mind you with Nashville having fallen does my opponent go all out to recover it or does he fall back to new positions or is it a combination of both.

So the situation now looks like this. Still a stalemate around Paducah and Columbus but with Hallecks move to Nashville and the hinterland of Tennessee exposed the I dont believe the CSA forces can remain in their current defensive positions. Interestingly the Rebels have almost constructed a depot at Henry.

My assessment of respective forces in the area remains unchanged. We are finely balanced. I certainly do not have the strength to go onto the offensive ....not that Thomas or Rosey is active. Nothing unusual there then :thumbsup:

[SIZE="3"]
TRANSMISSIPPI[/size]

Missouri

Watie is now being a right pain. He's turned up at Bloomington now. Much as I'd like to carry on ignoring him its about time I did something about him. Sheridan has been issued with intercept orders. I have no confidence or chance of catching Watie but Sheridan will have to keep at it until Watie is out of the way. Its a waste of Sheridan but I do need to get Watie out of the way. There are too many juicy targets he can aim at. I'm defending them all but none with sufficient strength.

So to the fag ends.

This snapshot says it all about what the loss of Nashville has done for the Confederate cause. I'm beginning to make strides with VP's as well.

As to other decisions

Economy - Nil

Drafts - Nil

Finances - Nil

Reinforcements - Nil

Replacements - 5 Infantry, 1 Cavalry, 1 Field Artillery

After taking Nashville as per usual a volunteer brigade was raised in the city by pro-union supporters.

The Bull Run brigade was formed.

The Great Sioux Uprising event fired.

Well thats about it other than I did promise to say something about my policy in respect of support units.

This varies depending on which side I'm playing. For example if I'm playing as the CSA then Engineers are a necessity in my eyes. But sticking with the Union my take goes like this.

Firstly I dont believe in sitting back as the Union its just too gamey a way of playing. I will freely admit that to make much headway in Virginia in 61 is very hard but I do like to try to make some and I do always make a hard push in 62 as you are witnessing. For me this strategy involves no let up during the winter months so its hard on manpower.

Now add into this my liking for using most of the Union 61 and 62 two and three stars as Corp commanders at the time they were the best that Mr Lincoln had. By spreading my divisions over more than a couple of Corps though I do give myself a better chance of some of them being active on any turn. If I just concentrate the divisions into a couple of corps then I lessen my activation chances. You will recall that I dont mess about changing commanders to get around the activiation rule.

I also will not go over 3% inflation as the Union.

Now mix all of that together and I reckon that in 61 and 62 I have no need for most of the support units. I invest heavily in Supply wagons....thats vital. As for Engineers though. Well as my role is to attack what do I need them for?

Signals and Balloons yes very nice but look at the last picture. My Corps in Virginia. Not one even close to being maxed out in respect of CP usage so signals I currently do not need. Balloons.... there I am sometimes tempted because of the fog of war lift they provide but I always in the early part of the game at least find I have little cash reserves left to purchase such luxuries.

Oh and always bear in mind that for me when advancing Evasion points are vital and now't screws it up so much as support units.

That only leaves Field Hospitals and I'll talk about them next time.

I hope Banks gets the turn back to me in the next 24 hours as from Saturday I go on a two week holiday so regrettably there will be a natural break in proceeding. :)

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:16 pm

[color="Red"][SIZE="6"]Late August 62 result and Early September Orders[/size][/color]

Well my heartiest congratulations to my opponent. He went and wriggled away from me. I did'nt think he'd do it. Banks has played so aggressively to date that I never suspected he would make the sensible move. What am I talking about you may well ask? Lets get straight down to it then.

Virginia.

Much to my astonishment (its the only way of putting it) my adversary did not advance Lee, Jackson or Longstreet. Instead he made the wise move and abandoned Richmond. He pulled his armies clean away. It was an extremely accomplished maneuver. A well done to him is definately in order much as it grieves me to have to say it. Unfortunately Sherman, who could have held the Rebel forces up as they retired through the Appomattox decided instead to retreat. Now I know it was probably the correct move for him to make but thats twice now he's performed somewhat less than adequately. Strange really as Banks informed me a couple of moves back that he'd had a problem with Stonewall. Whats the game coming to when the 'giants' of the Civil War let you down :mdr:

Although I cannot fault the confederate move it does hand the Union Virginia on a plate. Its taken me so much by surprise though that I can kiss goodbye to further action in this theatre in 62 It will take me what remains of the decent weather just to re-organise my forces, capture the towns and cities still in Rebel hands and restore some sort of order to my position. I will also have the urgent need, come winter, to ensure a decent line of supply.

Magruder has even foresaken the Penninsula. Well at least I found where he went to.

The map would end up a right mess if I placed all the 'arrows' on it for this move so please try to stay with me. :)

Dix and Whipples Corps I've ordered to assault Richmond. Dix is to stop at the city. Whipple is to move on to Petersburg to join Grant. I have another Corp formed at Fredricksburg commanded by Berry and consisting of Sedgewicks 43rd Division. Slocums 40th and Reno's 42nd. That Corp has been ordered to move to Charlottesville to widen the front and guard against the possibility of a confederate flanking move.

McDowell at Buckingham with Franklin has been ordered to move conservatively to Burkeville. Sherman and Pratt, at Burkeville after their retreat have orders to join US Grant at Petersburg whilst Hamiltons Corp at Petersburg has instructions to force march (75% chance) through Suffolk to Norfolk.

Penninsula

Milroys command has orders to move to Hampton. Phew....thats about it methinks.

There was one relatively small action which, from my standpoint, was rather irritating. JEB Stuart went and attacked the depot that I'd constructed in Amherst. Not only did he attack it but he carried it although it did take two days of fighting......Grrrr. Fortunately Franklins Corp in Buckingham is only 4 days march away (assuming that is) no holdups so I'm ordering Franklin back to try to rescue the depot before Stuart can destroy it. Fingers crossed.

This shows the towns and cities that I think Banks is having to give up. Losing Richmond will be a big blow particularly in resource terms. The confederate capital is now ATLANTA.

The yellow circled towns and cities are the ones I expect to take. Trouble is I shall have to garrison them and that mean recruiting troops....NOT militia. For me its Regulars. Lynchburg, ringed in grey, I'm expecting to return to the Rebel cause. Its right in the path of the CSA withdrawal so I'm attempting to run the garrison up to Covington. Who knows they might make it.

What all of this means in reality is that thoughts of victory are now miles away. Assuming Richmond falls this time it will not reduce the CSA NM sufficientlyto produce an outright win. So it will be onto a war of attrition. You will see me produce some of those 'support units' you did not think I used in 63 :thumbsup:

Its sure likely to be a long hard haul.

Florida

Hunter made it to Blakeley and look who has turned up across the water at Mobile. Bory and in some considerable force as well. Time for me to beat a hasty withdrawal for the time being. So its back to Pensacola for Hunter. Sadly it will take him 15 days. The cavalry I'm leaving to observe developments.

Luckily, just off the coast, Mansfield division that I released from the Penninsula should land to strengthen Butler in two days.

This is the size of Bory's Army of the Mississippi. Not much of an army yet but enough to give my slender forces in the region, should he catch them piecemeal, a real headache.

Mississippi

Just to show you that Joe Hooker remains in residence at Vicksburg. It Banks does not attack I intend to keep him there another turn, until Curtis arrives in 9 days. Interestingly Forrest has disappeared. I presume he's back at Jackson protecting that depot. I've detatched a cavalry regiment from Hookers command and am sending it forward on scouting duty.

Tennessee

Well here is my second piece of really bad news, although this one was rather more expected. Halleck got kicked out of Nashville. Mind you he put up a fair fight given he's a 1-0-1 If the dice roll had have been with him who knows he might have held on. My opponent sent Bragg to assist Van Dorn. The combined Rebel forces were just enough.

I have no chance of retaking Nashville for the time being but would you adam and eve it Halleck is active again so I'm attempting to send him scooting across the Cumberland and have a crack at Gallatin.

Is'nt it strange. Sherman performs poorly and Halleck performs quite creditably yet this current game will still rank Sherman as being above average and Halleck as being very poor. :(

The picture in this theatre then looks like this. I was right. The loss of Nashville in early August has made Banks alter his defensive position. Thomas is active (who said at last) :D With only even stephen odds though I've elected for him to stay put. I need additional strength in this region in order to exert real pressure. After what has happened in the East it may be possible to heavily strengthen the Army when the winter drafts become available. As an aside I do so wish the vanilla game allowed one to field the approximate historical 62 forces without calling up the draft earlier than was historically the case. At present its just not possible so I feel no guilt for doing so.

Now to the one strange event. Not that I'm complaining mind. Foster took Island 10. How I'll never know as he was not active. But there you go. Thats what the result says. Now thats one potential thorn less.

[SIZE="3"]TRANS_MISSISSIPPI[/size]

Missouri

Well Sheridan reached Bloomington but Watie was long gone. He attacked the garrison at Bloomington but my troops successfully repulsed him. Where he has gone I have no idea. So its back to Springfield for Sheridan.

Banks has really given me the run around.

So to the rest. I'm ordering the Emancipation Proclamation. that gains me +5NM +150VP's and between -15 and -30 on Foreign Intervention which already stands at -19 so thats not going to happen in this game.

I'm also calling for Coloured Volunteers which will cost me 7VP's per turn from here on in but I can afford it. The plus side is that it will raise conscription potential by 12%

The 'sink the CSS Alabama' event fired so that produced +5 NM so my NM now stands at a very healthy 117 to the CSA 100

Meade, Reynolds, Doubleday and Pleasonton all reported for duty in the East and have been ordered to scurry off to Bowling Green as fast as their little legs can take them. :coeurs:

Reynolds I've already created a division commander and given him the Blanket Brigade which arrived this turn as did the Iron Brigade at Columbus and the Railway Brigade at New York. The Railway Brigade has also been ordered to Bowling Green.

Oh and Dupont with the USS Choctaw materialised at Cairo.

In view of what has occured I'm removing martial law from Kentucky and Virginia and replacing it with Full Liberties.

Drafts - Nil

Economy - Nil

Finances - Nil

Replacements - Nil

Reinforcements

Pennsylvania

5 Zouaves regiments (to garrison those Virginian cities)

New York

6 x Rodman Batteries

Where ever

4 Balloons

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:04 pm

Well good people, current holiday over and I have a turn awaiting from Banks. Shall take a good gander at it in a mo and then get to work on the AAR. Hopefully will be up and running again by the morning.

mikee64
Brigadier General

Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:27 pm

Welcome back soundoff, hope you had a nice vacation. Missed the updates & looking forward to the resumption of the campaign!

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:44 pm

Kind words Mickee64, I thankee most kindly and thats no error....but back to business.

[color="Red"][SIZE="6"]Early September 62 Result and Late September Orders[/size][/color]

Well friends it turned out to be another good turn for the Union side. Seems like I called it right in the east. Banks went for Charlottesville with Stonewall. Sadly for him my Achilles Corp, lead by Berry, was well on its way. Got in to position nicely and then successfully repulsed his assault. Once more a case of a potentially very good move but insufficient numbers.

Before we get on to the actual battle though, and keeping things in order ....

Virginia

Well Richmond fell to Whipples Corp. There was a minor engagement which given the circumstances was won comprehensively by the Union forces which managed to capture in the victory a 20lb rebel battery ( a nice bonus).

Hamiltons advance on Suffolk and then Norfolk was also without real opposition with both towns being carried. Irritatingly a battery of confederate siege artillery has elluded my grasp together with the totality of the Norfolk garrison which somehow Banks has expertly spirited away. You know at times that adversary of mine makes me scratch my head in admiration :thumbsup:

So now the position in and around the Pennisula looks like this

Which leads now onto the battle of Charlottesville. I've struggled more than an hour or two as to how I should write this bit up. As per usual I'll call it as I see it with my usual jaundiced eye.

Although I'd planned to cover for such an attack (those of you following my AAR should know by now that I do attempt to leave few gaps and cover my rear) if I'm truthful I never expected my opponent to launch an assault on Charlottesville. It was always a possibility but given the previous disparate starting points of the confederate forces .....not really a likely or so I thought.

Now maybe it was luck...maybe good play...who can tell but with Berry's Achilles Corp in position and with roughly even odds Stonewall had little chance of carrying the assault. As to the actual battle result another 20% losses more than me which I'll happily settle for every time.

Which leads me onto another thought which at one level I'm loathe to even whisper but at another I must. Now over on this side of the pond we have a saying 'its mine to win or lose'. I somehow feel that this game has reached that stage. I dont really think that Banks can win it. Oh I can lose it make no bones about that. Its simply that if I lose somewhere between now and the end game I will have really made a pigs ear of it.

In part I feel this way not simply because Richmond has fallen (though thats a real blow to the CSA in respect of conscripts)....its more that Banks seems to be hitting me 'piecemeal' .....if you get my drift...like a boxer on the ropes who is looking for that one lucky punch that will turn the tide. I do so hope that in saying the above I've not tempted fate .....nor indicated that I have anything but the utmost respect for my opponent who I will continue to treat with caution to the bitter end.....he's too good for me to do otherwise.

I still reckon though that the outcome of the game is in my own hands.

Well the situation in Virginia looks like this. As you can see and as I predicted supply levels for my troops are approaching critical proportions. Just look at those Corps with yellow supply levels. Fortunately I've enough supply wagons with my forward Corps to start to construct depots this turn at Richmond and Petersburg. It will take more than a single turn but I can hold on long enough.

Now this next picture graphically illustrates the current position in the East (ignoring current dispositions)....sometimes I find thats a wise thing to do.

The Red Line indicates my forward line of advance and the Yellow the Confederate current defensive position. The yellow arrow shows a possible line of attack for the rebels that would severely hinder and inhibit my supply. The blue line my line of advance in West Virginia that is very very weakly held.

Now I did toy with moving a Corp from say Charlottesville or Amherst to the Covington area to protect that flank. Then I thought about it some more. So lets say the CSA does hit hard that way. Well they cant win the war from that direction. Oh they can hurt me but its oh so easy for me to cut off lines of retreat...then we'd be in to Zones of Control again.

So nah....I'll leave the door open and hope like hell but that Banks falls for it but I'd bet a pound to a penny that he wont.

So instead my move for Virginia is as follows. Its a hold across the board except for Dix at Richmond who has orders to move to Amherst (covering my back again).

Franklin at Amherst to move with attack orders to Lynchburg.

Hamilton with attack orders to move back to Suffolk

Now before I leave this theatre I'd like to say a few more words. From the way I've played I'm almost certain that a fair number of you might well consider that I've played somewhat conservatively to date. Frankly I'd take issue with that. Just look at where we are. Still in September 62 and Richmond gone. So it took moving Grant to the East to achieve but then hang on..... Nashville fell.....OK so I could not hold it but it fell and Vicksburg has gone even if not for all time. Now given that we are not out of 62 thats hardly conservative.... particularly given the strength of my opponent....or is it?

To me it demonstrates what better players than me....Jabberwock and Runyan99 for example have been saying for a long long time now. As the CSA its hard to exist beyond 63.

That Banks is still doing so well is a real testiment to his ability as a player

[SIZE="3"]
LOWER SEABOARD[/size]

Florida

Well Hunters division made it to Pensacola without mishap. Trouble is the divisions cohesion is shot to hell so its a month at least recouperating.

Same for Butlers forces. They just do not have the strength to contemplate any sort of advance at this stage. Mind you they are digging in and securing the bridgehead rather nicely.

Mississippi

Well would you credit it. Just look at what my cavalry scouts have uncovered. Again...eyes and ears...eyes and ears. At Jackson Bory with Van Dorns and Bushrod Johnsons divisions. Now last turn Van Dorn was at Nashville so the move of him to Jackson with his division has weakened the Nashville defense. Similarly Bory was at Mobile so that makes advances in Florida potentially easier.

Mind you with such a gathering of rebel forces in the area its high time Joe Hooker headed the heck out of Vicksburg.

I would normally have sent him the logical way...South back to Ft Pickens but sadly the route thataways is now mud strewn...so its on into Transmississippi for Joe and his command.....on to Madison.

Kentucky/Tennessee

Well Halleck made it back to Galletin without mishap and successfully assaulted the position. The cohesion level of his forces is now though so low that to think of any further action for the time being with his Corp is totally out of the question. I would though like to highlight the fact that he has adavanced one level of experience which has gained him a plus one defensive bonus......most satisfactory.

As you can also see, across the Cumberland at Nashville, Van Dorn has disappeared....as we know hes at Jackson its not too surprising but it hopefully does highlight the need to keep on top of your opponents dispositions from move to move :coeurs:

Tennessee

At last.....Rosey and Thomas both active with the Rebel defenses stretched. Now my odds are not two to one (assuming the rebels march to the sound of the guns which is likely). They are better though than evens and with a little bit of organisation and co-ordinating movement it does seem possible for Roseys and Thomas's Corps to assault Forneys position on the same day.....day 10.

Now its a gamble that might go astray but hopefully even if it does it will not be too disasterous. So I'm going for it. Thomas and Rosey will attack Forneys entrenched positions on day 10. To cover the possibility of a resounding defeat I'm moving Mansfields Division at Island 10 (currently attached to Fosters Corp) back to Paducah as the town will effectively be ungarrisoned.

[SIZE="3"]TRANSMISSISSIPPI[/size]

Far West

Sheridan made it to Springfield and still no sign of Watie and his Indian bands. I feel confident enough to order Sheridan forward again to assault Fayetteville though I need to construct forward depots in both Rolla and Springfield if I am to maintain forward momentum in this region.

Odds and Ends

Replacements

3 Line Infantry - I cannot keep up with losses but if I cannot I'm sure my opponent will be hurting more

Reinforcements

Missouri

2 Supply Wagons - for those depots in Rolla and Springfield

Economy

100 Rail

Drafts

Nil

Finances

Nil

NM Union 134 Confederate 92

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:02 pm

[color="Red"][SIZE="6"]Late September 62 result[/size][/color]

It just goes to prove....it really does. What am I talking about well its the need to check, double check then check again before submitting your moves when you are playing PBEM.

I really am dumb at times :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: Just received my turn back from Banks....took a look at it.....and nothing, nil, zero. No moves. My first thought was that my opponent had forgotten to process my turn but then I thought.....nah he's too experienced for that.

So I got to taking a look at my own end. On the face of it everything seemed OK. I'd made and saved the moves just as I reported in the previous post. So whats gone wrong? I e-mailed Banks back asking him to recheck but then my old brain box starts to tick over and a sudden horrible thought dawned on me. Surely not I think to myself. No I could'nt have. Could I?
You bet your life I could and I did.

You see I compress the game .ord files and send them to Banks as .rar files. Yep you've guessed it. I saved my turn OK but then forgot to compress it into a .rar file. Oh I sent Banks an appropriate file but it was only very basic with no orders. It just contained the recruiting, purchasing bits. You see the sequence I use is to do the book-keeping first. Then mull over the plans and finally execute them.

Trouble is I've loaded the results in and can see what the CSA has done so theres no going back. Ah well totally my own fault and no real harm done :thumbsup:

Tomorrow I'll see what I can salvage for the Early October turn.

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:38 pm

[color="Red"][SIZE="6"]Late September 62 result and Early October orders[/size][/color]

Before I start I'd just like to say a word or two in praise of my opponent. Banks is not only a formidable foe he is also extemely honourable and fair minded who plays this game in the spirit in which all good games should be played.

He generously offered to replay the turn. I declined the kind offer. Though a magnanimous gesture the mistake was entirely mine. As I said to him the RL equivalent would only have been Rosey going inactive for a fortnight and Grant going on a well deserved bender during the same period. (quite likely really) :thumbsup:

I was fortunate as well in that the CSA forces were not in a really fit state to take advantage of my 'inactivity'. Mind you against Banks I cannot afford any more such slip ups. It also goes to show how spoken thoughts that should remain unspoken (in this instance me saying in the previous turn how I thought that the game was for me to loose rather than my opponent to win) often come back to bite you in the posterior.

So what did go on then in Late September and what are my plans for Early October?

Virginia

Not the slightest sniff of a skirmish. From the move the CSA made there would have been one heck of a ding dong between Franklins Corp that I was intending to move from the depot at Amherst to Lynchburg and Stonewall Jacksons force which actually did retire to Lynchburg. Never mind. As my old granny used to say 'if what ifs were pound notes we'd all be in clover' :coeurs:

So the front line looks something like this now. The rebels have been able to stabilise their defensive line. I'm assuming that Johnston is at Garysburg. As its a key Confederate depot it seems logical to make that assumption.

The tempting move for me to make would be to attack Lee's army (not many units) with Whipples Corp at Petersburg, backed up by Grants army command which includes Shermans division. Problem is the Rebel forces now support one another very nicely. If I made that move it would be likely that both Longstreet and Johnston's Corps would MTG's. Not an encouraging thought.

So the obvious move I shall not make.

The planned moves are shown below. I intend to attempt to put pressure on whatever forces are actually defending Garysburg. I find its a good tactic to try to envelop the flanks of my enemy. To that end Hamilton at Norfolk is ordered to march to Henderson NC with Whipple moving to Sussex VA. I'm also moving Dix's Corp from Richmond. I know the arrow shows me advancing him to join Grant at Petersburg but I actually decided to move is command to join Whipple at Sussex.

The move of Hamilton (assuming it comes off) will put a Union presence in North Carolina for the first time.

Milroys force in the Penninsula (he only has one division with him) is ordered to embark in preparation for a move to Florida.

Thats about it really other than I'm reattempting to establish the two depots that I tried to build last time at Richmond and Burkville. Oh and I'm still leaving Banks an attack route through West Virginia should he wish to take it - not that I think he will.

Tennessee

Well sadly my proposed attack on Forneys position did not materialise and guess what......Thomas is inactive.

Rosey remains active (I cant believe it :mdr: ) On his own though it would be suicide to send his forces forward. So reluctantly its back to inactivity except to say that Meade is now on the scene so perhaps things will begin to pick up in this region in a month or two.

Its worth noting that the depot that the CSA built at Henry, TN to support Forneys Corp has been destroyed. I wonder whether Banks is thinking of pulling back into the interior?

Looking at the composition of Forneys and Polks Corps they are not THAT strong. If I were just able to make one co-ordinated push I might create a sizeable hole. That though could take time. Particularly as I will not reallocate divisions from Rosey, or anyone else for that matter, to Meade to overcome the inertia of my commanders. Its one of my rules.

I'm deliberately not showing a picture further east covering Nashville as nothing has changed in this area. Halleck will continue to sit tight at Galletin whilst I attempt to feed fresh units into Bowling Green.

Mississippi

Well because of my failure to put my move in correctly Joe Hooker and his command remains at Vicksburg. Luckily, because of my policy of ensuring I have supply wagons with my advancing forces (unless its a quick in and out job) his command still has sufficient resources for almost two months. So again I'm attempting to run him to Madison. Just go back to my Late September orders if you want to go over the route.

My opponent has split Borys command and has positioned Van Dorn to the South of Vicksburg. I was sorely tempted to have Joe Hooker assault Bory at Jackson. I think its a winable battle. What I dont know though is what reinforcements (if any) Banks is sending to Bory and when they might arrive. So I decided to stick with the orginal intention.....Joe to Madison.

Illinois

Well the bad news here is that Watie has reappeared. Not only reappeared but assaulted and taken Quincy. Ah .....a depot falls. Its not as if I had it badly defended either. I always guard strategic positions and have little sympathy with players who do not. Trouble was my Western Volunteer Brigade decided to retreat to Stirling without putting up the slightest bit of resistance and leaving the town militia isolated and exposed. Following two days of intermittant skirmishing my militia unit was destroyed.

I've ordered the Western Volunteers back to Quincy. From the look of it Waties Indians are almost exhausted. My troops should arrive in 4 days (before the depot can be blown) Mind you they are uncommanded so the outcome is likely to be nip and tuck. I must though make the effort.

Florida

No picture this time around. Nothing has changed. A move of sitting tight. Hopefully that will change once Milroys troops from the Penninsula arrive, around Late November I estimate.

Again no picture as little has altered but I have ordered Sheridans command at Springfield to assault Fayetteville. (I'm tired of trying to chase down Watie :( )

As for the rest

Generals Mitchell, McPherson and Rufus King have reported for duty and are being sent to appropriate lcommands as quickly as possible.

The South went with Paper Money Printing.

The 'Chasseurs d'Afrique' event fired providing me with a welcome additional 100 conscripts.

My NM now has reduced by one and now stands at 133. The CSA has increased by one and is at 93

The VP gap is beginning to close. For the Union its now 1306 and for the CSA 1498

Foreign Intervention is at -26

With the additional 100 conscripts I've received I'm able to purchase much needed replacements.

Economy - 50 Rail

Finances - Nil

Drafts - Nil

Replacements - 1 Elite Infantry, 10 Line Infantry, 1 Light Infantry, 1 Cavalry and 1 Field Artillery

Well thats about it

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:02 pm

[color="Red"][SIZE="6"]Early October 62 result and Late October orders[/size][/color]

Over all a very quiet turn. Hmmmm I'm not best pleased with myself. I'm in severe danger of passing the initative to Banks and that would never do. He needs no helping hand from me. If I can I always like to be proactive rather than reactive. That way I get to call the shots even if the shots are well wide of the target. I know thats difficult when you are playing as the CSA but if you play the Union (other than quality commanders at the start) you have all the cards to enable you to force the pace.

Anyway back to the task in hand. The results and the plans.

Virginia

The proposed movement orders were carried out to perfection. Whipple and Dix advanced their commands to Sussex whilst Hamilton marched unopposed to Henderson. And yes, I was right, lurking at Garysburg was none other than Joe Johnston. Iit was most gratifying to have called it right. Then came the reality check. Whipple and Hamilton have decided the late autumn weather is too agreeable for them to be concerned about launching an attack on Johnston's position. Dix and his Corp are well up for it but not the other two. So I had to think again. I've decided to contract my left flank. Hamilton, minus Wallace's division, (I'll come to that later) is ordered to Suffolk to bolster Whipple.

Dix, at Suffolk has instructions to move to Burkeville to support McDowell. Tylers division, which is no longer needed at Richmond as I've now secured the city, has orders to report to and join McDowell.

Yes folks, I'm massing in the centre and trusting to God, luck and judgement in that order that sufficient of my Corp commanders are active next time around. Oh and not forgetting that the weather needs to hold up as its already beginning to turn.

Now this is the size of the task in hand. Would you just look at the strength of those Rebel Corps. My opponent has even been able to start creating a small Corp for JEB Stuart. And do not be fooled by those numbers for Stonewalls divisions. Remember at the end of September they fought and were defeated at Charlottesville. Then in early October they retired to Lynchburg. They must be down on cohesion (though I strongly doubt that Banks has the resources to replace the Corp's battle losses) ;)

North Carolina

Returning to Hamiltons command you will note that I've detached Wallace's division. With so many of the Confederate forces pinpointed I'm taking an educated gamble that the CSA cannot have much protecting the rear. So I'm asking Wallace to strike out from Henderson at the Goldsboro depot. So its a risk but I feel one well worth taking. If it does not succeed then at worst I've lost a division. If it comes off it should put the fear of god into those rebel troops and help restore that initiative I've been bleating on about. To get there in this period requires a forced march by Wallaces troops. A 65% chance.....better than evens :coeurs:

Now before I leave Wallace to hopefully march off into the setting sun, guns a blazing and gideons unfurled I'd like to come back to my use or otherwise of support units....particularly Field Hospitals.

Some of those who have met me before on the field of honour strongly suspect that when I play the Union side that I never purchase Field Hospitals. As I posted a turn or two ago my use or otherwise of some types of support unit is dictated by the state of the game.

Now with Hospital units I always try to play with a degree of 'cunning' .....Well it does no harm to fool myself :thumbsup:

I'm a keen devotee of ZOC and Evasion so I like to place my Hospital units in divisions rather than attach them to Corps. In fact I like the divisions of my main strike force to each have a hospital unit. Its expensive I know but, for the Union the expense is not an issue.

Now to an opponent those Hospital units never show until there is a battle and then it requires them to scan the battle reports diligently to pick the ploy up. As I've only just begun to assimulate them into my divisions Banks has not had a chance to discover their existence yet.

Now the other (and more important) reason for putting such units inside the division goes back to the old hoary chestnut of ZOC and Evasion. When operating deep in enemy territory which Wallaces force is being asked to do I might need him to get out of a tight situation. That means having the Evasion factor of his force as high as I can make it to give his troops the best chance of running should it be necessary. Keeping the Hospital unit simply attached to the command gives me an evasion factor of 7. Putting it inside the division raises that to 10. A really significant difference.

And by placing the Field Hospital in the division what do I actually lose? Well you could say a regiment of infantry 1,000 men. But hang on the number of men in game is only for 'flavour' Its hits that count. So reducing the effective strength of a division by one element is IMHO more than offset by the rise in evasion.

Now I must add this caveate. The inclusion in divisions is normally only needed if you are anticipating operating deep in enemy territory. It also presupposes that you are making offensive moves. If you intend to merely defend with your commands then attaching them to the stack rather than inside a division is by far the better option.

Now most if not all of you may well disagree with my usage of Hospital units but thats the fun and the beauty of this splendid game. There really is no right or wrong answer. Its whatever works for you. :coeurs:

West Virginia

Well lookie here. Not the Corp that I'd hoped for but still a rebel division commanded by W Lee has marched to threaten my depot just to the North East of Covington.

I have three brigades there. Pity I have no commander with them and as I do not use the redeploy facility other than for HQ's those brigades will stay uncommanded. Shame really but then thats life ;)

What I dont want is for Lee to hit and run straight up to Grafton. Its a possibility and it would be a real pain. It would cause me grief for several turns.

Sadly the weather is this part of the country is already turning evil......snow in several regions. Ah well never mind. Berrys Corp at Charlottesville is 18 days march away but if I can successfully force march him its down to 14.

So Grant has issued orders to him to force march. Theres a 65% chance (again better than even so I cannot complain) Lets hope I either catch the division or at least slam the line of retreat shut.

Going back to Field Hospitals again note that all of Berrys divisions have an embedded hospital unit in them. Sedgewick, Slocum and Reno are the division commanders....hence it being my main strike Corp.

Florida

Milroy with his remaining division from the Penninsula is now sailing leisurely southwards and should arrive sometime in early November. I want to try to flex my muscles in this theatre before my opponent can bring any significant reinforcements into the area. Hence Hunter has been issued instructions to assault Sparta. Its not strongly held by Buckner (almost exclusively cavalry) so it should not present a major obstacle.

Although its not much of a move again its aimed at wresting the initiative back.

Arkansas

To begin with Sheridans force had a relatively easy victory at Fayetteville. In part that was I think due to the lack of rebel artillery being present. He was commended by Lincoln for his success. Unfortunately he's not promotable yet.

As it so happens this was the only encounter of the whole turn.

Hooker managed to ship out of Vicksburg without mishap. I shall lose the city but that cannot be helped. His command is now only 3 days away from Madison. He's still active and the defending force at Madison is not that strong. So I'm going for it with a vengance. Coupled with his move I'm doing another blind assault (Wallaces assault on Goldsboro being the first) of Sheridans command on Ft Smith. Blind assaults ......most unlike me and not at all what I'd advocate :mdr:

Tennessee/Kentucky

Interestingly McCulloch with a relatively full division has crossed the Cumberland and entered Clarksville. If my opponent was hoping to find Bowling Green weakly defended he will be sadly mistaken. Sumner has a full division of his own in tow.

Of course McCulloch could push further North but then that would present me with the opportunity of wheeling Hallecks Corp at Gallatin to interdict his lines. Hmmmm I'll wait and see what develops. No need to panic just yet. ;)

Meade has now gathered his first division to him at Columbus and commanded by Doubleday its not a bad one either. It will become much better when he's joined by Reynolds division which arrives in 9 days.

Maybe just maybe my days of simply sitting and contemplating the fluff in by naval is coming to an end. Why is the fluff always blue?.....no lets not get into that :love:

Illinois

Watie you are a thorn in my side. Banks has played you admirably. The depot at Quincy was burned. I've retaken the town and am attempting to restore order. Those pesky Indians are poised to go in any direction. All I can do is cover the bases as best I can. One positive. I no longer need to attempt to defend Quincy so well. With no depot it ceases to be a juicy rebel target :neener:

Well to the odds and ends.

All of my 10 infantry replacements were devoured by my forces. With historical attrition it really does hurt. Mind you the same is true for my opponents forces and he's lost Virginia.

Finances - Nil

Drafts - Nil

Economy - 50 Rail and 25 River

Reinforcements - Nil

Replacements - 8 Line Infantry and 2 Field Artillery

My NM is 132 against 93 for the South.

Foreign Intervention remains at -26

Thats it for this turn. Just await developments.

Will Wallace suceed in his force march to Goldsboro. If he does will he be able to carry the position?

Will Berrys Corp arrive in time to catch W Lees division cold in West Virginia?

Will Joe Hooker capture Madison?

Where is McCulloch off too? What devilish plans has Banks for Watie this time?

Will Sheridan have bitten off more than he can chew when he arrives at Ft Smith?

Exciting is'nt it :mdr:

Jim-NC

Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:27 pm

Exciting is a wee bit of an understatement. :D
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

W.Barksdale
AGEod Grognard

Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:06 pm

soundoff wrote:Keeping the Hospital unit simply attached to the command gives me an evasion factor of 7. Putting it inside the division raises that to 10.

This has got to be a bug. I can't think of any realistic explanation for the difference.

You used to be able to put these guys inside cavalry divisions and the division could still move as if only cavalry :w00t: I miss those days...
"Tell General Lee that if he wants a bridge of dead Yankees I can furnish him with one."
-General William Barksdale at Fredericksburg

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:55 pm

W.Barksdale wrote:This has got to be a bug. I can't think of any realistic explanation for the difference.

You used to be able to put these guys inside cavalry divisions and the division could still move as if only cavalry :w00t: I miss those days...

Bug or not its the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth. I suspect its a WAD. ;)

Comtedemeighan
Brigadier General

Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:32 pm

Hey Soundoff your last couple of updates have 1861 at the top instead of 1862 :)
Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem - By the Sword We Seek Peace, But Peace Only Under Liberty
-Massachusetts state motto-

"The army is the true nobility of our country."
-Napoleon III-

Comtedemeighan
Brigadier General

Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:34 pm

Soundoff your last couple of updates have 1861 instead of 1862 :)
Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem - By the Sword We Seek Peace, But Peace Only Under Liberty

-Massachusetts state motto-

"The army is the true nobility of our country."

-Napoleon III-

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:22 pm

Comtedemeighan wrote:Soundoff your last couple of updates have 1861 instead of 1862 :)

Corrected. Many thanks for the spot. It might have dawned on me when 63 arrived but I would'nt have put money on it :bonk: :bonk:

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:18 am

Hi Folks,

Just downloaded the new file from my opponent. Wow but has Banks made some bold moves. Stunning. I'll post an AAR update in the next 24 hours to show you what I mean. Hmmm how I counter this little connundrum will take some figuring out. ;)

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:38 am

[color="Red"][SIZE="6"]Late October 62 result and Early November Orders[/size][/color]

Sad to say, but rather inevitable, General winter is coming to the aid of the Rebel cause. Thats seriously going to inhibit any plans. Never mind though.

Before continuing one tip I would give to anyone realitively new to the game is that whatever you do, whichever side you play, do not leave your troops exposed to the winter elements particularly if you are playing with 'Historical Attrition' activated. It really is a crippler at the best of times. Accurate, but a crippler especially for the South although even the Union player has a hard time of keeping up with replacing losses.

I'm not advocating going into winter quarters and becoming inactive until spring appears.....just billett those troops at towns/cities and depots unless you are conducting an offensive. Then make sure the offensive moves are short and sweet. And keep those supply wagons close by so that if you are caught in the open you can lay down a depot.

Virginia

This first picture is a slight mixture. It shows what I hope my position will be at the end of the year. The white line indicates the expected enemy front.

I did produce the picture to attempt to demonstrate the effects that winter is already having. The areas subject to snow are easily identifable. I was going to shade in those that were covered with Mud then discovered how few regions were not affected by winter in any way and thought it easier to highlight those :love: .......... They are the ones outlined in yellow. Grrrrreat every region I attempt to move into or out of (given that I have no access to railroads in NC) takes a month of sundays. ;)

As to the actual turn itself. Wallace attempted to take the Goldsboro depot. His force march was successful (as an aside I find that most players do not use the forced march facility often enough....its very much neglected).
Evidently the city was undefended but Banks had the foresight to move Longstreets Corp to cover (he must have read my mind) :mdr: Fortunately for me Wallace had the good sense, once he reached Goldsboro and saw the size of the enemy force before him, to retire without offering combat.

The move of Longstreet to Goldsboro has created a large hole in the CSA front line but the change in weather conditions means that I cannot take advantage of the opportunity.

Other than that, in the centre, little else changed except that if you look real closely you will see that my opponent did a very foolish thing. Somehow he moved Johnstons Corp into Garysburg. It had been defending on the outskirts but now its inside the city. That means that the fortifications he constructed are destroyed. He has alerted me to the error he has made. Thats one to each of us now. Me with not putting in my orders right and now this from him. Just reinforces what I've said time and time again - rethink those moves and check them out again and again before submitting them when you are PBEM'ing. :neener:

I've decided not to attempt to take advantage of the error. I may not have been able to anyway but I have no wish to be victorious on the back of a 'fundamental error' on the part of my opponent. So my move is to gather my forces in preparation for a Spring offensive in North Carolina. Of course should the opportunity arise I'll move in winter :thumbsup:

So its Whipple and Hamilton to retire to Petersburg. Grant to move to Burkeville to join McDowell. Franklin at the Amherst depot is commanded to move his Corp to Burkeville but not before detatching Griffins 21st Division to guard the location.

If all goes well I should have:

At Burkeville the Corps of Franklin, Dix and McDowell. Plus the Army command of Grant. Some 68,000 effectives (I always discount support units) plus 400 cannon.

At Petersburg the Corps of Hamilton and Whipple. Some 40,000 effectives with 250 cannon.

Now thats a lot of Artillery and come the next draft there will be a whole lot more. If any of you read the general forum (I'm sure you all do) Jarkko is right. Artillery is King

Penninsula

Whilst little of note occured in the centre the same is not true of the wings. Banks made a totally unexpected move with JEB Stuart against Norfolk. I just did not see it coming. I should have, having spotted Stuarts command underneath at Garysburg last time, but I did'nt. It took me completely by surprise. Truth to tell his move deserved success it really really did. Somehow though my single regiment of infantry managed to stave him off for a day. Was I lucky.

There is no way the garrison can hold out again. The odds are totally against them. I do just happen to have Smith and his 27th Division guarding the approach to Manassas and Washington. He is active and I am able to transport him by boat to Norfolk in 14 days.

I'm also moving Wallace with his 4th Division to Norfolk as quick as I can. Thats blasted weather though is really slowing me down.

I may not be able to save the depot at Norfolk from being destroyed but I should be able to retake the city. I am expecting a sizeable NM hit :(

West Virginia

W Lee's Rebel division assaulted the Millboro depot. Confederate troops also retook an undefended Covington.

At Millboro there was a small series of skirmishes. I had three uncommanded independant brigades. Had they all have decided to stand and fight and support one another, maybe just maybe, they might have withstood Lee's assault.

Two of the brigades decided to retire on day one. The two regiments of the remaining brigade held out for a further two days before being destroyed. A commendable defense.

Now the quirk is that my fleeing brigades sped there way to Covington but on finding that location under attack turned around and went back to Millboro, joined by another retreating cavalry regiment of mine. This resulted in another engagement on day 13. (Sigh) If only they had stayed and fought in the first place. :coeurs:

Berry coming from Charlottesville carried out his orders to force march his command to the letter. Regrettably his Corp arrived too late on the 14th day to give battle. There will be one though this time. I'm ordering him as well to press on and retake Covington. At that juncture I intend to rest him up. It should put some nice pressure on the Confederate left flank.

Berrys force consists of 17,000 effectives and 100 cannon. It should be more than enough for Lees 7,000 and 23 cannon even though the terrain for frontage is as bad as it gets.

Florida

Hunters division successfully stormed Sparta with Buckner and his cavalry retiring without offering resistance. That left a Columbiad battery all on its lonesome in the city. It was duely captured and has been gratefully assimulated into my force. :thumbsup:

Until Milroy arrives (in 3 days) its now a period of inactivity. I do so need that division he is bringing with him.

Kentucky

My word. What a bold move by Banks. It has me scrabbling all over the place. To begin with I was in a panic but I've calmed down somewhat and can see the opportunities.

But straight to it. The first thing that shook me was Forrests cavalry assaulting Lexington. The Union defenders had no chance. He now sits uncomfortably for me on my flank. Louisville should be his prime target....its the one that would do me most damage if I lost it. Buell has 4,500 including the Papa Collar Brigade plus 24 cannon sitting at Louisville so I think I'm safe for the time being at least.

Ah, but Cinncinnati is only weakly held and thats a more than decent secondary target for Forrest. I'm speeding what reinforcements I can spare (mainly Williams' division of 5,000 mustering at Chicago) to Cinncinnati as fast as I can. Will take 9 days though. If Forrest gets there first my command is not activated so attempting to retake the city will be out of the question.

A very good move by Banks, excellent in fact. He is so darned tricky but then can I expect any other from someone of his ability. :(

Worse news than Lexington falling quickly followed. The Army of Tennessee commanded by Johnston has crossed the Cumberland at Clarksville. Its a major invasion of Kentucky. :blink: Forney and Polks Corp's are in attendance. McCullochs division has joined them. In all I reckon some 30,000

Has that move got me jumping or what? Further problems is that as it was the Union who invaded Kentucky in the first place the state has Rebel loyalties so movement for the CSA troops will be much easier than for my Union boys. On top of that, and would you believe it, its the one region where winter has yet to strike so movement rates are still good.

Of course my opponents move is not without a considerable gamble. Its left Tennessee, other than Fts Henry and Donelson and Nashville very poorly defended. All I can say is its a really brave move on Bank's part. If I have a saving grace its that Reynolds division and further reinforcements arrived at Columbus to swell Meades command so that it now stands at a very healthly 21,000 effectives.

So to my plans and thinking. Firstly I expect Johnston to strike at Bowling Green. Sumner defends with 7,500 and 24 cannon. It is possible for me to rail Hallecks troops at Gallatin (another 10,000 plus 88 cannon) back to Bowling Green in a day. That would give me a combined force of 17,500 and 100 plus cannon.

That would mean odds of 2 to 1 in favour of the CSA. To those cards we have to add in that Halleck is rated as a poor commander and Sumner has not been in action so is little better. So in bonuses I would be well down. I estimate the true odds to be around 3 to 1. Looking more and more like an automatic rebel victory. :( The final clincher is that OK so I could move Halleck to Bowling Green but then he'd have no entrenchments so no defensive bonus.

Nope I'll give up Bowling Green, grudgingly but I'll give it up. Its not worth fighting over. It also means that I must give up the depot. I don't have five days of grace needed to burn it.

I must try to get Sumner and Halleck the hell out of there and back to Louisville. Even that though is not without problems it will take almost a month.

Because I expect Johnstons Army to reach Bowling Green in a couple of days the only avenue of retreat for me is an unexpected one. Its to rail Sumner in a day to Gallatin then the roundabout route to Louisville. It takes longer but should hopefully (I'm really keeping fingers crossed on this one) be safer :love:

Now in reading this you might well be thinking .....how the heck can he give up Kentucky so easily? Well its like this .....territory you can always recapture. You hold positions for a sound strategic reason. If its not that vital then why try to hang on to it? Better to give it up and come back another time.

I dont like losing Kentucky but the alternative, which might still occur is for my forces to be defeated piecemeal and for the whole front to collapse.

So I'll attempt a strategic withdrawal. If Banks wants a battle then let it be on my terms. The further his forces advance the more stretched his lines become.

Tennessee

The intended withdrawal by me though will create a huge gap in the centre. There is nothing else for it than to order Thomas at Paducah back to Evansville. Rosey is instructed to leave Columbus and guard Paducah (I don't wish to lose that foothold if I can help it)

That just leaves Meade and Foster. Once I'd gotten over the initial shock of Banks move and started to think about it I quickly realised that as well as the obvious threat there was a real opportunity here. Meade has 21,000 and Foster another 10,000. Instead of pulling back lets give the South a banana of its own to chew upon. So its a full assault into Tennessee for Meade with Foster in support. Who knows if I get lucky I might be able to join up Hooker and Sheridan with them....now that really would be some sort of force. :thumbsup: Well I can dream for a turn or two. :mdr:

So Meade has ordered to assault the city and depot at Corinth. I suspect Bory might be in residence as he disappeared from Vicksburg. Unless my opponent has considerably strengthened him Meades 21,000 should be enough......should'nt it?

In the western theatre it may well come down to who's nerve holds the best.

Arkansas

Hooker made it to Madison OK but waiting for him was McLaws. He was not there last time. I reckon the only way he could have arrived before me was by boat. Grief but it was a hard fought battle which happily to say Joe won. His troops are really experienced now but are severely in need of recovery.

His situation has been worsened by an epidemic in the ranks. I have to hope that the CSA are in no fit state to counter attack.

This is what the situation looks like. Oh you will note that Sheridan captured Ft Smith without a fight. Interestingly the depot was destroyed prior to arrival. I had intended to move him to support Hooker. Thats what the picture shows but at the last minute I decided on another 'blind assault' so have ordered his division to attack Little Rock.

Well thats about it for this turn other than the bits and pieces.

Economy - Nil

Finances - Nil

Drafts - Nil

Reinforcements -

Missouri

1 Supply Wagon

Replacements - 4 Line Infantry

Foreign Intervention remains at -26. The CSA NM has crept up to 94 whilst mine has reduced to 131

Generals Stoneman and Howard has arrived as has the Irish Legion and the Pioneer Brigades

Lastly and not unimportantly the 'McClellan to lose Command of his Army' event has fired. I've already alerted Banks to this and told him that at the first opportunity I shall be replacing him.

Edit - And lest I forget which I did. Vicksburg fell to a single Confederate Cavalry regiment with neither Bory nor Van Dorn anywhere in sight. Ah well that was 'fun' whilst it lasted and had the intended design of tying up rebel troops for a while.

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:41 pm

[color="Red"][SIZE="6"]Early November 62 result and Late November orders[/size][/color]

Virginia

Just as I was expecting a long hard winter the weather goes and changes on me. Early November it was snow and mud everywhere. Now its back to mild and decent marching conditions. Under the circumstances I reckon I'd better move Franklins Corp (that I was moving to Burkeville) back to the Amherst depot. If I dont I leave that flank too exposed to a march by Stonewall. With his fast movers trait - that I do not need. I felt quite comfortable leaving Amherst defended only by a single division when the weather was at its worst but now that conditions are milder again (if only temporarily) I'm not willing to risk it.

Smiths 27th division made it safely to Norfolk so though we had a 'scare' no real damage has been done. I've moved Crittenden to Norfolk and created him a Corp commander. Wallace's division should join him within the next few days.

Sadly W Lee's division at the Millboro depot in West Virginia managed to evade Berrys Corp without much difficulty. Berrys force plodded on through the snow and recaptured Covington. The failure of the Corp to bring the Confederate force to battle was made worse by the command suffering 40 hits in the adverse weather.

So other than Wallace's division completing its move to Norfolk and Franklins Corp retracing its steps to Amherst I do not intend to move in late November. In fact its doubtful that I shall make a significant move again in Virginia until 63 unless a golden opportunity presents itself.

Grant has already performed better than I expected. If Banks allows me I'll spend the winter contemplating a North Carolina offensive in the Spring

Before we leave this theatre its worth noting that a 'new' CSA Corp commander has arrived on the scene - Edward Johnston. That means the Confederate defensive line has been made good again. I cannot believe that my opponent had two fresh divisions reserve. I strongly suspect that Johnstons Corp is made up of elements detached from Longstreets command which I believe still guards the approach to Goldboro.

Finally the local Rebels have raised a Militia unit well in my rear at Tappahannock. I'm sending the small division I have stationed at Richmond to squash that little uprising before it can create any sort of problem.

Florida

Milroys force landed safely and has been ordered to immediately march on Mobile. It will necessitate him going the 'long way around' as the normal approach to the city is guarded by Confederate ironclads. In view of this move and to protect my lines of supply I'm ordered Hunters division to rejoin Butler.

Generally speaking in this theatre things went well but I must confess to having fallen for it. Fallen for what you might well ask? Well its like this.

Kentucky

The expected 'invasion' by the CSA just did not materialise. Why I have no idea. Could it have been that Banks was determined to draw me forward in Tennessee? Did my opponent fear Meade at Columbus? Did he just think better of the adventure? Maybe one day when I can read his AAR I will find out but for now I'll never know.

So I retreated as I said I would alas all to no avail. The expected onslaught just did not happen. Even Forrest at Lexington has gone to ground. I felt sure he'd assault Cinncinnati.

So it means I've offered my adversary Bowling Green complete with depot on a plate. :( I'd be surprised if Bory (yes its him in charge at Clarksville) has more troops than Halleck and Sumners at his disposal. However I'm equally certain that his force can rail to Bowling Green quicker than Halleck and Sumner can get back (eta 5 days). Under the circumstances I've decided to continue with the planned move with one slight modification. Sumner is still to head back to Louisville. Halleck I'm diverting to link up with Thomas at Evansville.

At Louisville Buell has orders to attempt to retake Lexington.

I'm just going to have to write off a sizeable chunk of Kentucky till 63. Thats one to Banks. :thumbsup:

Tennessee

I did say that overall I was happy with what had happened in this theatre. So the Confederate invasion of Kentucky did not take place and I made what turned out to be a wasteful Union move. However the Union invasion of Tennessee did go ahead. Meade advanced and at Humbodlt met the Army of Tennessee, commanded by Albert Johnston. Banks had obviously sped him back from Clarksville to counter the threat.

I do so wish the engagement had been more decisive. With Meade in command and Reynolds and Doubleday commanding divisions I believe I can set that Corp against anything Johnny Reb has in the region. Sadly Johnston bounced off of me, which does present a slight dilemma in that his force is now in my rear....or at least could quite easily be.

Interestingly though, if you look at the battle report, Johnston had a sizeable number of support units with him......no less that 16 supply elements for starters. As I reckon a supply element is roughly 250 men I'd be much surprised if the actual battle effectives he currently has in that army is much above 10,000. On the downside for me Banks will have noted that Meade has NO support units with him of any description.....they are with Fosters Corp that was supposedly to support his advance.

Anyway, cutting back to the chase. Meade's Corp moved onwards and on the morning of the 14th launched a lightening strike on Corinth. Its an important confederate intersection and a vital depot. The city capitulated to the assault. Its not the almost 1500 casualties that the South lost thats important (nice though that was). Its the loss of the depot that is the key. I intend to burn it and march on Memphis. That will give me a large measure of control of the Mississippi if Meade can achieve it.

Because Johnston 'bounced' off without too much in the way of losses I must consider him to still be of significant threat to my operations.

I dont know whether I was lucky or unlucky, you must judge. Anyhow Fosters Corp was slow to move and made little progress during the first two weeks. Rosey on the other hand made it safely to Paducah. Trouble is I dont trust Rosey to keep an active Johnston at bay so I've ordered Foster to head back to Paducah by rail to support Rosey. As the rail lines are in place it should only take 3 days. Had Foster obeyed his orders as he should have done his troops would have been to far south to have offered support to Rosey

Arkansas

At Madison back came McLaws. Joe Hookers division I just had to place inside Madison because of the epidemic. The cohesion of his force really was at rock bottom. None of his brigades had a level better than 15 and several were down at 7 and 8. I left a single cavalry regiment (also with poor cohesion outside the town) Its that regiment that the battle report is showing as destroyed. Hookers actual division did not take part in the battle because my adversary had not given orders for McLaws to assault Madison itself.

Hookers troops then survive for another day and have regained some much needed cohesion (back to almost half of maximum). So that was the first bit of good news.

The second bit was Sheridans blind assault of Little Rock proving to be a success. OK so I could have wished for more confederate losses but thats another strategic location and depot lost to the CSA cause.

If I can continue to hold both Little Rock and Madison and if Meade destroys the Corinth depot and carries Memphis I really will have isolated a considerable chunk of the Confederacy and have seriously damaged their supply network.

So this is how things now look. As you can see the weather is appalling but then with the supplies I've captured I can afford to sit tight. Of course I need to relieve Hooker. I'm hoping that Meade can achieve that in the next month.

So to the odds and ends.

Economy - Nil

Finances - Nil

Drafts - Nil

Replacements - 3 Line Infantry. (I'm still bleeding desertions)

Reinforcements

Pennsylvania

12 x 20lb Parrott Artillery

New York

3 x Rodman Artillery

Anywhere

2 Balloons
1 Medical
2 Signal

In some ways the best bits of good news for the Union I leave till last. Following his victories at Humboldt and Corinth, Mr Lincoln has awarded General Meade his 3rd Star. Little Mac has been issued with orders to report to General Meades HQ and relinquish control of the Army to him.

In similar fashion, for his stunning performance in the Transmissippi General Sheridan has been granted his second star.

In North Arkansas pro Union locals raised a 3 regiment brigade of volunteers for the defense of Little Rock.

Thats all to report other than Union NM has advanced again to 133. The CSA held steady at 93

Foreign Intervention stubbornly refuses to budge from -26

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:24 pm

[SIZE="6"][color="Red"]Late November 62 result and Early December orders[/color][/size]

Much as it gauls me to say so late November was a very good turn for the Confederacy. I must admit that I need the December 62 draft to become available. My divisions are sorely in need of replacements. Many are struggling as I am unable to keep up with the losses. The one crumb of comfort is that the Rebels must be suffering in a similar fashion.

Now I'm going to take things out of order......lets get the bad news out of the way first ;)

[SIZE="3"]WESTERN THEATRE - PART ONE[/size]

Tennessee

An exceptionally fine move by my opponent. He railed Johnston and the Army of Tennessee to Memphis, in the process strengthening his force. This move meant that Meade made contact with Johnston in Hardeman, Tennessee on day 3. A fierce combat ensued with Meade's Corp suffering 20% losses before being repulsed. Meade has alerted the president to this setback, pointing out in his communication the 'stiffening' of Rebel resistance and their reluctance to give ground. Despite this reversal Meades command remains in relatively good order.

It is now evident that there is no chance of capturing Memphis in 62. That opportunity Banks has denied me. Time then to attempt to stabilise the front in preparation for a 63 offensive. I am reluctant though to totally give up the initative in this segment of the Western Theatre. Therefore Meade has orders to strike at Covington. I reckon that the majority of the CSA forces under Johnston will remain at Memphis (he needs to protect that key location - I think:blink :)

Given that the possible threat to Paducah has receded I'm able to release Rosey for 'other' duties. Foster and his Corp are to remain holding the city whilst Rosey is despatched to attempt to drive through to join up with Hooker. I've also ordered the 1st Wisconsin Cavalry, attached to Hooker to sallie forth into Edmund. The purpose of the move is to attempt to sever the rail link - currently the Rebels have too fast a route from Memphis to Madison. I must try to make any movement towards Hookers position more difficult for them to undertake.

Arkansas

As you can see from the picture above the weather in Arkansas is about as bad as it can get. Hooker is still holed up in Madison. It contains 512 units of supply and his commands consumption is a mere 42 per turn therefore he has more than sufficient supplies to keep his division active for many months. The dilemma is that his regiments are decimated. I have not the manpower to purchase sufficient replacements to bring the division up to strength. I need those December drafts.

The picture below graphically shows the problem. I'd like to move Hooker North (say to Island 10) but in this weather its a 30 day undertaking. If I attempt to move I'm sure to suffer weather hits which will destroy those regiments. If I must lose them I'd rather they be lost in battle than on the march to the elements. So Hooker remains put and I have to hope that the Rebels do not attack in force.

[SIZE="3"]WESTERN THEATRE - PART TWO[/size]

Kentucky

My withdrawal continues. Thomas has now reached Evansville and is digging in. He will be strengthened by the arrival of Hallecks troops in another 10 days. Sumner's command has yet to reach Louisville but should arrive in 8 days.

Buell recaptured Lexington and is securing the city. As expected Bory moved forward and took Bowling Green (I cannot see him advancing further). Unfortunately my movement is so slow that I am unable to launch any sort of offensive to regain the lost ground without telegraphing my move.

Interestingly Forrest's troops have reappeared to the south of Cinncinatti. Should he decide to assault I'm not sure that I can hold the city. He's becoming a pain :thumbsup:

Florida

Milroys Corp made it to Mobile without difficulty and on day 13 brought the defending confederate forces to battle. Following a sharp engagement my Union troops were defeated but retired in good order back across the river, eluding the CSA ironclad that attempted to cut off their path of retreat. It was a close run thing. I think the confederacy struck lucky as their losses in the battle were in excess of 40%. As you can see the fighting was quite vicious with both sides losing two elements.

Now athough the defeat was disappointing I'd have been happy with the loss had it not been for the mailbox reports.

Just look at them.(sigh) 60, 61 and 62 indicate that the enemy has routed. Then report 63 says that the Union forces had retreated followed by report 64 stating that the CSA has routed again. Finally we get the battle report - a Union defeat.

My hangup is (as a long in the tooth wargamer) that it goes against the grain for routing troops to win any sort of victory. There are times with AACW when I do have to sort of 'go with the flow' and accept that some events are never going to make sense to me :love:

In an instance such as this (fortunately rare) be blowed if there is any logic to the information that I can discern. :wacko: So I trust you will forgive me if I consider this to be a 'lucky' CSA win. I feel like reprimanding Milroy for retiring his troops when victory was within his grasp. Sadly I cannot do that - Lincoln has 'congratulated' him for his victory. Go figure :confused:

I've said to Banks that perhaps its the Almighty's way of redressing the balance following his failure to take Norfolk which should have fell easily to him.

What with Meades upset this result really puts the tin lid on the turn although neither of the defeats was too disasterous.

This is now the position in Florida. Milroys troops are almost as decimated as Hookers in the Transmississippi so I have no alternative but to withdraw them to Pensacola and await fleshing out the battered regiments with fresh replacements when the December draft is raised.

Hunters division remains in good order and I do need to find a way to shift those Ironclads protecting the route to Mobile. Thus I'm sending him to assault Ft Morgan. With luck and a following wind he might carry it. If he does (and then takes Ft Gaines) it will open a route into Mobile Bay into which I can sail a fleet to shift those ironclads.

Virginia

As you can see, the battle lines are well and truely drawn. All that's missing as far as I can tell is Longstreets Corp (still at Garysburg? - I hope so)

In total, in the theatre, I estimate that I enjoy overall odds of 2 to 1. I've thought long and hard over whether I should take the offensive again. Much depends on the weather - its still holding in North Carolina. It usually stays OK in that neck of the woods except for the 'odd' turn. I've decided its worth the gamble.

North Carolina

The assault has to be made by the corps of Dix and McDowell supported by Grant That only leaves the Where to be decided.

Ideally I'd have liked to have attacked a flank of the CSA line. Thats not possible. Therefore its a direct assault on Lee's position. Its likely that both Jackson and E Johnston's Corps will march to the guns to support. If that happens my odds will be well short of 2 to 1 (not good). The bonuses of my commanders should match that of my enemy so it could be nip and tuck and too close to call.

There is a chance that Lee will automatically retreat of course. It is a possibility. Thus I've issued further orders for the commands to swing west to Lynchburg. That way if I miss Lee I may catch Stonewall.

I also have to cover the distinct likelyhood of being defeated by Lee (I reckon thats at least a 50% chance:mdr :) I just have to hope that if that happens the losses will not be too extreme.

If I do lose I'm relying on a backup plan. Franklin has been ordered to assault Lynchburg. My thinking is that the only way I can lose with the major assault is if Stonewall MTG. If that happens then hopefully Franklins Corp can catch him when he returns. Assuming the weather holds it will take Franklins Corp 12 days to reach Lynchburg some 4 days later than the scheduled eta of Grants main advance.

Additionally I've instructed Whipples command to protect Petersburg.

Really hairy stuff. The sensible move would be for me to await the December reinforcements and then simply sit tight till spring but then thats being too predictable.

This last picture shows the size of the forces that are likely to be involved. I leave it to you to decide whether I've been foolish or wise. Anyway the die is cast. I've already submitted my move to Banks.

Finally to the dregs.

Economy - Nil

Finances - Nil

Drafts - Nil

Reinforcements - Nil

Replacements - 6 Line Infantry 3 Elite Infantry

NM for the Union 133 for the CSA 94

Foreign Intervention -26

General Logan and associated Cavalry have reported for duty in Lexington, Missouri. Generals Schoffield, Sickles and Hancock, have joined the active list in the east and General Gibbon in the west.

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:19 pm

Hi folks,

Received my turn back from Banks earlier today. Will take me another 24 hours though before I'm ready to post a considered AAR. Banks certainly is taxing the old grey matter. :thumbsup: He's an absolute joy to play against. If, at times, I make a move that seems perhaps a 'little less courageous' than it should be thats entirely down to the respect I have for his ability. I just cannot afford to make any sort of significant error at this time. If I do then as sure as eggs are eggs Banks will exploit it.

Anyway, if you are still following our offering, bear with us, I'll post as quickly as I can ;)

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:35 am

[color="Red"][SIZE="6"]Early December 62 result and Late December orders[/size][/color]

Superficially the turn may not seemed to have amounted to much, at least not in battles, only a couple of very minor skirmishes. Delve a 'wee' bit deeper though and its evident that both of us are 'jockeying for position' and its very much cut and thrust, parry and counter. I cannot say it enough. This game really is all about maneouvering then fighting when the position is too your liking. Hopefully I can demonstrate what I mean.

Virginia

Grant with McDowells and Dix's Corps duly advanced cautiously into Franklin VA. Not unexpectedly Robert E Lee refused battle and retired. Grant then swung his Army west and struck at Lynchburg, arriving on day 8. This time Stonewall Jackson refused the opportunity to stand and fight and withdrew to join Lee at Campbell VA.

Grant beat the walls of Lynchburg town hall in bitter frustration. Once again his adversary had successfully elluded him. On day 12 his forces were strengthened further by the arrival from Amherst depot of Franklins Corp.

Now to the amusing bit. Well it made me chuckle anyway :mdr: On day 14 who should saunter into town but that rebel vixen Belle Boyd (I reckon its Mae in disguise). Grant by now is in such a fit and raring for a fight that he lines up the whole 80,000 strong army to assault her position. :bonk: :bonk:......what a plonker. I bet even Banks smiled when he saw this battle report.

The situation in the region looks like this. Its quite sensible for my opponent to withdraw before me. The further he can lead me on the more stretched my supply lines become and without rest the weaker my troops are. Like any good commander in chief he's trying to pick his own battleground.

Interestingly, at Garysburg, Longstreet has arrived to join Johnston. He has a power of just over the 1000. I reckon thats a couple of divisions he has in tow. I'm glad he's turned up. I do so detest critical commanders being 'hidden' from my view. More worryingly than Longstreets appearance is the disappearance of JEB Stuarts cavalry division. Could he be preparing for another strike at Norfolk? I wonder.

If I can I'd like to push the CSA forces further back, to the Raleigh/Goldboro line in North Carolina. If I could then I might be able to secure Virginia more comfortably. Whatever happens, with the Rebels currently falling back before me I must press on.

I'm intending to move Rousseau's extremely small Corp (only about 3,000 effectives) from the Millboro depot to Covington. Hopefully its a strong enough force to keep that Confederate division of W Lee, who was somewhere in the area, at bay should it reappear. That releases Berry's Corp to move to Lynchburg. The weather is attrocious and I'm expecting heavy losses to desertion but if I'm to move forward with Grants army that wing has to be protected.

The move allows me to order Franklins Corp to Burkeville to support Whipples command. Together the pair of them should be equal to any possible CSA assault other than by the complete Rebel Army.

Hamilton, at Petersburg I trust, to god, judgement and pure luck, to be strong enough to withstand any attack by Johnston and Longstreet.

I am 'slightly' concerned over Crittendens unsupported position at Suffolk. My assessment is he can hold against an attack by say Longstreet on or Johnston on their own....but not the pair together. Banks could strike with both but if he does that exposes Garysburg to a counter attack by Hamilton. I dont reckon he will attempt it but then again I've been wrong often enough in the past.

Much more likely I think is another attack on Norfolk by that 'flying' command of JEB Stuarts. I'm moving another brigade to Norfolk to bolster the defences but it takes time and the opportunity is there for my opponent at present.

My key decision is to advance the Grant/McDowell/Dix combination against Lee/Jackson at Campbell VA. I'm half expecting Banks to once again pull his troops back. In anticipation of this Grant has orders to move a further region to Person NC. Hopefully that should promote some sort of Confederate reaction. Either that or my forces will be positioned in the rear of E Johnstons Corp which would suit me well enough.

Now I'm certain that for most of you reading the next bit what I'm about to say is very 'old hat' and well known. If you read the general forum regularly then you will know its been said or implied often enough by players such as Jarrko, Dixiecrat and Major Tom in some wonderful threads.......Artillery is King

Those that know me know I'm not one for getting underneath the engine of the game. Broad brush is and will remain my approach. I'm not interested in 'tweaking' the last ounce out of creating the 'best' division/corp/army whatever. :thumbsup: Never-the-less as I've come to understand the game I do pay much more than lip service to ensuring my forces have enough firepower where it matters (once resources allow) So this is the composition of the forces I'm committing in the push by Grant against Lee. Yes thats an awful lot of Corp and Army heavy artillery, most of them Rodmans and 20lb Parrotts to fill those support slots should there be a battle.

Florida

Buckner with his cavalry regiments attacked my lone cavalry regiment at Blakeley. The result was a minor skirmish from which my 4th US Cavalry successfully retired.

Much more importantly, Hunter captured Fort Morgan at the mouth of Mobile Bay. Garrison troops have already arrived. Hunter is despatched back to Pensacola for the time being, until replacements arrive.

Tennessee

Another maneouver move but this time by me rather than Johnny Reb. Meade made it to Covington as ordered. Glad that he did as Banks had sent Johnston to attack him at Corinth. This brings Memphis back into play as a legitimate target - much to my delight ;)

I'm assuming that my opponent will not send Johnston after me again. Rosecrans, with his Corp, is on the river not far from Memphis. I have options to strike at the city with Meade/Rosey or a combination of both. Banks will know that so I believe he will pull Johnston back to defend the environs.

That would suit me as Meades troops need to recover cohesion. If I'm allowed then its Meade to stay put. Rosey to join him. Little Mac to report to Meades HQ and finally relinquish command of the Army of Tennessee.

Oh and lest I forget - Joe Hooker to remain stationary.

This is the composition of my forces in the region. Looks OK except that all of these three commands are desperately in need of replacements to flesh out the divisons. My estimation is that if they were at full strength they would be another 7 - 10 thousand strong. Thats historical attrition for you. :(

This is my assessment/knowledge of the Confederate forces I'm facing at Memphis. Roughly evens in odds. I'm expecting in the next few months though to be able to bring considerably more weight to bear than my adversary.

Kentucky

(sigh) For this year Kentucky has proved to be a 'lost cause'. Ah well back to the drawing board to work up a strategy for 63. At least the defensive line is completely in place. No movement from the enemy but then I'd expect none. Its for me to make the move now.

I'm showing the next two pictures just out of interest, in the hope that it helps some to look at the reports afresh. The game does contain a wealth of useful information that you can use to interpret situations.

You will recall that last turn I was somewhat concerned about the reappearance of Forrest at Covington, just south of Cinncinnati. Well this time around he obviously attempted to retire because on day 15 his rebel troops tried to storm Clarkesville. My garrison brigade managed to repulse him without too much difficultly though losses were about even.

What am I able to draw from all of this? Firstly, given the weather, that Forrest was only able to struggle a couple of regions back from Covington. Secondly that his cohesion level must be considerably down given the ease with which I managed to hold Clarksville. Thirdly that Forrest's troops must be low on supplies - why else try to take Clarksville? Finally that its a long way back to Confederate towns/depots hopefully most of the enemy force will have starved before they reach home.

[SIZE="3"]AT LAST[/size]

The bits and pieces, odds and ends, dregs etc ......only they are almost the vital elements this turn.

Finances

I'm issuing 6% Bonds which should raise 728,000. It will increase inflation by 1% and cost 50VP's but with my inflation only standing at 1% its within my set limits.

I'm calling for Exceptional Taxes which hopefully will generate a fruther 1,606,000 So it will cause another 1% increase in inflation and cost 1NM. That will take my self imposed inflation level to its maximum of 3%

Economy - Nil

Drafts

I'm seeking to recruit 515 conscript companies by paying a bounty of 1,000 each.

Lincoln has called for full mobilisation. That should produce a further 1062 conscripts although the cost is heavy - 75 VP and 5NM

Politics

Its another total embargo which will generate 50,000 and increase NM and VP's by 1 and 15 respectively.

Replacements

30 Line Infantry
6 Cavalry
3 Field Artillery

Reinforcements

Anywhere
1 Field Hospital
2 Marines

Iowa
6 x 2 Infantry Brigades

Mitchigan
3 x 2 Infantry and 1x6lb Artillery Brigades

New Jersey
4 x 2 Infantry and 1x6lb Artillery Brigades

Missouri
2 x Sharpshooter regiments

Connecticut
4 x 2 Infantry Brigades
2 x 3 Infantry and 1x6lb Artillery Brigades

Pennsylvania
2 x 2 Infantry Brigades
3 x 2 Infantry and 1 Sharpshooter Brigades

Ohio
1 x 2 Infantry and 1x6lb Artillery Brigade
1 x 2 Infantry, 1x6lb Artillery and 1 Cavalry Brigade
10 x 12lb Artillery

New York
2 x 2 Infantry Brigades
2 x 3 Infantry, 1x6lb Artillery and 1 Cavalry Brigades
5 x 10lb Parrott Artillery

Kentucky
3 x 2 Infantry Brigades
2 x 2 Infantry and 1 Cavalry Brigades
6 x Rodman Artillery
8 x 10lb Parrott Artillery

Phew.....and thats it.

dublish
Corporal

Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:30 am

That's... That's a very impressive firing squad you lined up against Boyd. Would 500 artillery pieces leave anything to be put into a coffin?

Return to “American Civil War AARs”