Dunhill_BKK
Sergeant

The map and unit sheet are a bit slow

Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:02 am

Just a small thing, the map doesnt seem to travel that quickly. I use the jump map, but sometimes I like to be zoomed out and roll over the map via mouse. Are things a bit slow because of the graphic nature of the individual map tiles? I wouldn't think it would be that slow for a map of that size.

Also the units sheet in the global situation section is a bit slow too. Once again not a game breaker, just a bit of an annoyance.

Cheers,

Pocus

Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:04 pm

Have you followed the various hints posted on the thread:

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=418

Particularly check that your hard disk is not fragmented and you load the textures at start.

Give me your config also.
Thanks.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Primasprit

Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:57 pm

Dunhill_BKK wrote:I wouldn't think it would be that slow for a map of that size.

I guess this is a problem of the engine. As I understand, the map is loaded into the memory as a gigantic bitmap. All the strategy games I know use maps which are composed of repeated graphic tiles respectively textures.
The BoA map is one huge picture, broken into a lot of tiles. The good thing about this is, you can make very nice hand drawn maps. The bad thing is that it needs a lot of memory. I have 1GB RAM, BoA takes it all. So it will be rather difficult to realize a world map with this concept.
But as I am no programmer these are only unproven allegations. :siffle:

Pocus

Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:22 pm

Indeed, as BoA uses a caching technique. It can functions with 512 Mb, by constantly discarding unneeded bitmaps and reloading the ones to be displayed. But if you have a lot of RAM, the engine will just load as much as he can, so that you don't suffers from speed issues.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Dunhill_BKK
Sergeant

Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:09 am

Thanks heaps for the configuration insructions. I am still quite new, and hadn't noticed them yet.

I do have 2 GB of RAM for flight simming, so things should speed up noticably now.

Cheers,

Return to “BoA Technical support / Aide technique”