Brandtake
Conscript

PBEM Problem- game not detecting battles

Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:59 am

Hello,

I've been engaged in a game via PBEM w/ jhdeerslayer for some time now; he is the host. It seems every time I place an army in offensive mode, and then send my .ord file, my army is still in an offensive mode the next round, yet no battle has taken place despite the fact that his army is in the same zone. I don't know for certain, but it's possible my opponent is having the same difficulty, since after 10 months we haven't had a single real battle.

I've received no messages indicating that his army retreated before battle, nor is the problem that my army isn't activated: the army stays in defensive mode, as it should, when that is the case. And, let it be clear that both armies are outside of forts or towns; sieges are working fine (although I am unsure about assaults).

I've attached my latest .trn file; when I resolve and hit "end turn" (which, obviously, i'm not suposed to do when not hosting but I did to test this) the battle starts just fine; so somehow the game is not calculating the battle when the host is resolving his .trn. I'm using 1.09c by the way.

Sorry for the length of the post, and thanks in advance for any help
Attachments
PBEMMikeJeff~ENG.zip
(29.06 KiB) Downloaded 174 times

Pocus

Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:42 am

Wow!! what a bug... you only have a turn file and are able to generate a new turn... thanks sir for this major critter :)

I have corrected that for the upcoming 1.09f quickfix... in the meantime:

a) don't generate a turn with only your TRN file. I got as you, a battle in Boston, but the host is doing weird things in fact, so this is not reliable.

b) I need the whole saved game from Jeff to check if there is no battle in Boston.

c) use the quickfix 1.09e, and Jeff too, it will perhaps fix the problem (otherwise do (b) ) :
http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?p=11201#post11201

Thanks much for the report anyway

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

jhdeerslayer

Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:33 am

ok i will try the quick fix latter today. i'm at 1.09d and my opponent is at 1.09c. wonder if that caused a problem.

now that you did the next turn Brand, that means we can't use the ord anymore?

let me update and maybe go back a few turns and try again?

you are right, no battles and i was seeing this too but wasn't sure what was going on.

Pocus

Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:35 am

if he has not send you the ord file, there is always the possibility to get it from the last backup folder generated.

I'm interested by your save game, if you see no battles where ones should happen.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

jhdeerslayer

Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:47 am

OK I'll send (prior to update) tonight when I get home Pocus and Brand I will go back one turn after I update.

Brandtake
Conscript

Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:49 pm

I suppose we'll try the quick fix, then, and test intentionally creating some battles to make sure it's working. By the way, after I generated the turn I deleted the directory other than the backup folder (which is a very helpful feature, by the way), so I didn't do any permanent damage to our game.

Return to “BoA Technical support / Aide technique”