DrPostman

Most Breaches and/or Hits during a Seige?

Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:42 pm

What's the most breaches and/or hits you've seen on a city before it
falls? I'm besieging Richmond and been doing so for about 6 months
now. It's not following history because I have all but Richmond and
Norfolk under Union control. I'm averaging 15 to 20 hits on the fairly
large force in there (1400 or so) and have a total of 25 breaches.

I'm sure it's not the longest so what are anyone else's experiences?
"Ludus non nisi sanguineus"

DrPostman

Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:33 pm

Up to 35 breaches now. Conducted an assault, 35,000 against 23,000 and got beat bad, but still
maintained the siege.

Pat "Stonewall" Cleburne
General of the Army

Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:43 pm

The most I've ever had is 4. I didn't even know it went above that. Only the first breach is necessary on a regular town so I assault after 1 or 2 breaches. I've had the suspicion that units are being reinforced while under siege. I haven't done enough testing to say for sure though. Have you noticed their numbers going down with all the hits you're inflicting?

DrPostman

Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:36 am

After the one time I assaulted (just a turn ago as of today) their numbers decreased but it
seemed that they maintained the same number of troops all through the siege. Don't know
how they could historically have been reinforced had this happened in RL because there are
only a few tent cities left on the entire map. All of VA is under Union control as is most of
NC and all of TN. Their moral is down to 38 (defeat level of 25) but because of that loss I'm
now at 164 (win level is 225 which, IIRC, will come down after the election this year).

37 breaches now. I even got a breach the turn my assault failed, and W French got a damned
promotion out of his defeat!

Captain_Orso

Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:55 am

After 1 breach on a town or old fort, or 2 breaches on a fortified location, the only affects a breach can have is causing some hits, which can, at least partially, be soaked off with supply.

Richmond has a harbor, so unless the James River is blocked, Richmond will still get supplies through the harbor. Otherwise everything in Richmond would have starved to death by now. Also, set your troops in the Richmond region that have entrenchment 5 or higher to Bombard. That can also interdict supplies moving through a river region.

Once they have used up their supply stocks, the Richmond defenders will be much more likely to surrender pretty quickly.

Also, have a read in the latest patches Update file. Siege has undergone some changes in the last release level. You might want to look at those.

DrPostman

Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:59 pm

I can tell that sieges have changed. Some of them don't last for more than a couple of turns where all of them
used to take many turns. I didn't think about blockading Richmond for some reason. No wonder they keep getting
supplies. I've got guys bombarding from Norfolk and Fort Monroe but apparently that wasn't enough. Thanks!

DrPostman

Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:40 pm

Richmond fell in a couple of turns, once I parked a fleet directly off of City Point. Didn't realize that
I had to get that close to blockade effectively. A grand total of 43 breaches with 15 to 20 point hits
per turn. A long slog, but then so it was also historically.

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”