malthaussen
Sergeant

Retreating Through my Attack: Neat trick, that

Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:25 pm

I understand that the developers want to give the CSA every possible break in this game, but this is getting ridiculous. I'd give almost 25 virtual cents to see a good justification for an enemy force "retreating" into the region my force is advancing from. This has happened to me several times. It seems to me, if a force is attacked and retreats, they'd run from[I][/I] the attacker, and not through[I][/I] him.

-- Mal
"Of two choices, I always take the third."

soloswolf
General of the Army

Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:33 pm

It's all about military control and zones of control. So if you want to eliminate lines of retreat, spend some time gaining control.
My name is Aaron.

Knight of New Hampshire

Jim-NC

Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:20 pm

malthaussen wrote:I understand that the developers want to give the CSA every possible break in this game, but this is getting ridiculous. I'd give almost 25 virtual cents to see a good justification for an enemy force "retreating" into the region my force is advancing from. This has happened to me several times. It seems to me, if a force is attacked and retreats, they'd run from[I][/I] the attacker, and not through[I][/I] him.

-- Mal

This has to do with the retreat parameters in the game. See the link below for a discussion on this topic:
http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=14746&highlight=retreat
The parameters in the game cause some weird results on occasion.

As Soloswolf states, it is about control. If you do not have the right level of control, your enemy can retreat through you.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:06 am

soloswolf wrote:It's all about military control and zones of control. So if you want to eliminate lines of retreat, spend some time gaining control.

Anyway, IIRC your enemy may retreat to areas with 0% of military control, so spend some time gaining military control is useless. Am I wrong?

Greetings! ;)
[color="Navy"][font="Georgia"]"Mi grandeza no reside en no haber caído nunca, sino en haberme levantado siempre". Napoleón Bonaparte.[/font][/color]

[color="Blue"]Same Land. Different Dreams. - Photobook[/color]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

soloswolf
General of the Army

Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:03 am

Greetings to you, Ethan!

But, you are wrong. ;) It's a common tactic that I use when playing both sides. And from the wiki: "Finally, you cannot retreat from battle into completely hostile regions (i.e. less than 5% military control)."
My name is Aaron.

Knight of New Hampshire

Gray_Lensman

Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:36 am

deleted

Pat "Stonewall" Cleburne
General of the Army

Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:13 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the retreat files are designed to prevent complete destruction of stacks in battle. This didn't happen historically, so it shouldn't happen in game. It's frustrating sometimes, but realistic.

Gray_Lensman

Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:25 am

deleted

Berge20
Sergeant

Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:24 am

So what are the advantages of gaining full MC around an army then, if they can still retreat?

To set the most likely course of retreat, if you have varying levels?
Or take more rounds to retreat?

Spharv2

Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:52 pm

malthaussen wrote:I understand that the developers want to give the CSA every possible break in this game, but this is getting ridiculous. I'd give almost 25 virtual cents to see a good justification for an enemy force "retreating" into the region my force is advancing from. This has happened to me several times. It seems to me, if a force is attacked and retreats, they'd run from[I][/I] the attacker, and not through[I][/I] him.

-- Mal

You want engine justification or "story" justification? Areas are large, just because you move into one facing one direction does not mean you're going to be attacking that direction. Lee moved North to Gettysburg, and attacked going South and East. If his lines of retreat to the South had been cut, it's quite possible that the army would retreat North, then move around in another direction to get back to friendly territory. Plenty of ways to justify an army retreating in the direction an attack came from, plus the engine justification everyone else has chimed in with.
Official Queen's Ambassador to the South
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Franciscus

Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:27 pm

IIRC there is a retreat bug in 1.15, that was corrected in 1.16 beta.
Malthausen, which version are you playing with ?

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”