marecone

Building river fleet

Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:29 pm

Let say I want to build them in Illinois. Will they appear in Cairo or Chicago? What if they appear in Chicago? Is there a way to send them to Cairo?

Also, if KY is still neutral, what happens if I build a ship in Cincinatti? Can I move it on the river no matter KY neutrality?

Thanks in advance
Forrest said something about killing a Yankee for each of his horses that they shot. In the last days of the war, Forrest had killed 30 of the enemy and had 30 horses shot from under him. In a brief but savage conflict, a Yankee soldier "saw glory for himself" with an opportunity to kill the famous Confederate General... Forrest killed the fellow. Making 31 Yankees personally killed, and 30 horses lost...

He remarked, "I ended the war a horse ahead."

Cromagnonman
Brigadier General

Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:40 pm

Ships seem to be built in unpredictable ports within the selected state. Chicago or Cairo are equally likely. Have no fear, however. There are canals (not represented on the map) that connect Lake Michigan to the Mississippi, Lake Erie to the Ohio, Lake Michigan to Lake Erie, and Lake Erie to the Atlantic (either via the Hudson or the St. Lawrence. So your river ships won't be trapped, although the armored frigate Michigan is another story. You may find it rather time consuming, however, to move them from where they're built to where you want them. C'est la vie. You can use the Erie Scouting Squadron to investigate the various routes out of the Great Lakes.

As for cruising past neutral Kentucky by river, that shouldn't be a problem.

Chaplain Lovejoy
Brigadier General

Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:20 pm

marecone wrote:Also, if KY is still neutral, what happens if I build a ship in Cincinatti? Can I move it on the river no matter KY neutrality?

I think that ships in ports adjacent to KY count against the "aggravation level" of force buildup ref KY neutrality. But if the ships are on the river it doesn't.

Gray_Lensman

Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:06 am

deleted

marecone

Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:10 pm

Since english is not my language lets get it a bit clearer please. If ship is built on cincy and is in port then I anger Kentucky? What about Cairo? Do land troops in Cairo region also anger Kentucky folks?
And thanks for your answeres guys
Forrest said something about killing a Yankee for each of his horses that they shot. In the last days of the war, Forrest had killed 30 of the enemy and had 30 horses shot from under him. In a brief but savage conflict, a Yankee soldier "saw glory for himself" with an opportunity to kill the famous Confederate General... Forrest killed the fellow. Making 31 Yankees personally killed, and 30 horses lost...

He remarked, "I ended the war a horse ahead."

Captain_Orso

Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:10 pm

If the units (ships or otherwise) are in a region (harbor for boats, land for land units) adjacent to Ky, the aggravation is triggered as long as they are there. Since the rivers them selves do not count as belonging to a region unless completely within Ky, boats on the river(s) do not cause aggravation.

In fact you can load transports with troops and station them in the Ohio River next to Ky and not raise aggravation levels, as they are considered in-transit and because the Ohio River belongs to both Ky and the other states along the Ohio it is no problem.

This is a tactic you can use when playing the full campaign with Kentucky, if your opponent invades Ky. The turn of the invasion announcement you load river transports with troops and move them into river section next to Ky ready to move into Ky on the next turn. The reason being, that if you move units into Ky the turn your opponent's invasion is announced they will be generically attacked by generic Ky forces and you will notice on the next turn that they have taken about 90% losses.

The turn after your opponent's invasion an announcement appears stating that your side is coming to the assistance of Ky. Now you may enter Ky with as many units as you wish without the afore mentioned penalty. Of course troops that you have already stationed on river transports in the Ohio River, like just above Bowling Green, have a head start at getting into Ky.

enf91
AGEod Veteran

Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:45 pm

Except that they will have lost much cohesion staying on ships for 2 weeks.

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”