Captain_Orso

Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:15 am

I thought about this for a while too. The fact of the matter is that in Real-Life™ riverine boats are not built to be at sea/river for long periods of time. They have limited supply and are not suited to be sailing in open waters. Taking that into account to measure my actions when sending ironclad to the gulf I send them from harbor to harbor. This gives them a chance to recover cohesion and hits every turn that they reach a harbor. To do this effectively to bring ironclads to the Gulf you will need a large number of harbors all along the east coast.

Personally I don't like to restrict my strategy like that so I just do without ironclads on the Gulf and build a naval fleet strong enough to do what needs to be done.

Stauffenberg
General

Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:22 am

Captain_Orso wrote:I thought about this for a while too. The fact of the matter is that in Real-Life™ riverine boats are not built to be at sea/river for long periods of time. They have limited supply and are not suited to be sailing in open waters. Taking that into account to measure my actions when sending ironclad to the gulf I send them from harbor to harbor. This gives them a chance to recover cohesion and hits every turn that they reach a harbor. To do this effectively to bring ironclads to the Gulf you will need a large number of harbors all along the east coast.

Personally I don't like to restrict my strategy like that so I just do without ironclads on the Gulf and build a naval fleet strong enough to do what needs to be done.

Oh honour rules, between those with a requisite grasp of historical realities, is surely enough? ;)

Captain_Orso

Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:33 am

Honor shomor, I got tired of getting my expensive ironclads smoshed by Wear-N-Tear™ ;)

The historical relevance just makes it easier to swallow :sourcil:

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:01 am

We gotta get Jarkko sucked into this thread (I erroneously confused his name in another thread on this subject).

He's posted about building Fleets O'Doom, cruising around and absolutely reducing CSA maritime Forts to tinder. Then, you can steam where you want.
[color="#AFEEEE"]"Liberty and Union, now and forever, one and inseparable!"[/color]
-Daniel Webster

[color="#FFA07A"]"C'mon, boys, we got the damn Yankees on the run!"[/color]
-General Joseph Wheeler, US Army, serving at Santiago in 1898

RULES
(A) When in doubt, agree with Ace.
(B) Pull my reins up sharply when needed, for I am a spirited thoroughbred and forget to turn at the post sometimes.

Stauffenberg
General

Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:52 pm

Captain_Orso wrote:Honor shomor, I got tired of getting my expensive ironclads smoshed by Wear-N-Tear™ ;)

The historical relevance just makes it easier to swallow :sourcil:

Wear-N-Tear™
Damn, I would have lifted that were it not for the ™. :fleb:

Anyway, until we get the CSS Hunley in action (yes the submersible:coeurs :) , one can hardly complain about floating shingles making it around the Keys... :blink:
in December... :wacko:

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:48 pm

Ironclads are pretty underrated in the game I think. Or perhaps they were overrated in RealLife(tm) (hee, hee). Also, where my "mortar platforms" at, Willis?
Two Rules: 1. The Tournament Director is always right. 2. When the Tournament Director is wrong, see Rule 1.

rattler01
Captain

Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:51 pm

I have thought of this before, but I don't really have an idea for a simple fix, as a avoid fort button would be OP. Right now in order to go from New York to Texas and not be bombarded the USA most own the following forts: Macon, Caswell, Pickens, Gaines, and Jackson. All other forts do not seem to get qualifiy for the ZOA rules that enable bombardment.

@Longshanks. Amen brother. Not only that I think there should be armored (In-game) and unarmored gunboats for a extremely cheap buy so the CSA can guard all those rivers along the Atlantic coast from USA landings. Do you agree if every USA player used the navy the way mine and MK game just went, we would see a major change to limit the USA's options? There is also the idea of river ramming ships that were somewhat effective earlier in the war.
"To fallen comrades. And Winged Warriors; past, present, and future. One team, one fight. Winged Warriors."

Chuske
Lieutenant

Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:31 pm

rattler01 wrote:I have thought of this before, but I don't really have an idea for a simple fix, as a avoid fort button would be OP. Right now in order to go from New York to Texas and not be bombarded the USA most own the following forts: Macon, Caswell, Pickens, Gaines, and Jackson. All other forts do not seem to get qualifiy for the ZOA rules that enable bombardment.

Think perhaps the solution would be to treat coastal and river differently. You would only tackle a fort on coast if ordered to bombard or try to enter a harbour or estuary, easy to stay a out of range otherwise. On a river you HAVE to pass the fort. Guess that would need to wait till AACW2.

Does anyone else find it confusing working out where the double adjacency etc rules apply and when naval guns will and won't bombard? In my last PBEM I lost Paducah and CSA absolutely dominated the river from there and when I got Pope across from Charleston MO to Columbus his gunboats cut me off. I then put naval guns in Charleston but because its same river region as Island 10 his boats could move back to island 10 and back to block the river without getting fired on. If I tried to get my ironclads in from Cairo the Paducah guns would pepper them with holes.
Useful Info for Beginners

"If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
William Tecumseh Sherman

Chuske
Lieutenant

Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:10 pm

Is this the thread you mean?

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?11304-Bombard-strategy-vs-forts&highlight=fort

GraniteStater wrote:We gotta get Jarkko sucked into this thread (I erroneously confused his name in another thread on this subject).

He's posted about building Fleets O'Doom, cruising around and absolutely reducing CSA maritime Forts to tinder. Then, you can steam where you want.

"If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."

William Tecumseh Sherman

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:17 pm

Chuske wrote:Think perhaps the solution would be to treat coastal and river differently. You would only tackle a fort on coast if ordered to bombard or try to enter a harbour or estuary, easy to stay a out of range otherwise. On a river you HAVE to pass the fort. Guess that would need to wait till AACW2.

Does anyone else find it confusing working out where the double adjacency etc rules apply and when naval guns will and won't bombard? In my last PBEM I lost Paducah and CSA absolutely dominated the river from there and when I got Pope across from Charleston MO to Columbus his gunboats cut me off. I then put naval guns in Charleston but because its same river region as Island 10 his boats could move back to island 10 and back to block the river without getting fired on. If I tried to get my ironclads in from Cairo the Paducah guns would pepper them with holes.

Thanks for the link above.

Man, I couldn't keep DAR straight if you gave me Tara on a silver platter. Your thinking is spot on, IMHO; can steam away a good sea league or more on the coast, but are shot at if engaging the fort up close and personal. River movement is open season by the gunners on land.
[color="#AFEEEE"]"Liberty and Union, now and forever, one and inseparable!"[/color]

-Daniel Webster

RULES

(B) Pull my reins up sharply when needed, for I am a spirited thoroughbred and forget to turn at the post sometimes.

Stauffenberg
General

Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:49 pm

Chuske wrote:
Does anyone else find it confusing working out where the double adjacency etc rules apply and when naval guns will and won't bombard?

Nope, it's as clear as the muddy Mississip... where it's a mile wide... in the fog... at night... with no moon. :blink:
At least to a Guild Navigator anyhow. :cthulhu:

The mind does a sort of "dimension shift" pondering this dynamic. :bonk:
Damn, need more spice. :wacko:
And you can blame Orso for this sudden contagion of emoticons--I can't get them off at this point. :clown:

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:43 pm

"And how can this be? He is the Kwisatch Haderach!"

Watch out for those worms, man - I had one take a small Corps out in the West Texas box.

-Daniel Webster

RULES

Captain_Orso

Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:08 pm

Things with regards to bombarding forts has changed drastically since 2008. Basically, you can hardly count on reducing the compliments of a fort with naval guns anymore.

I have a testing scenario with a fleet of about 20 ironclads (Union) lead by Foote (over 3000 FP!!). If I bombard a pre-war fort (1 Coastal Artillery, 1 Fort Artillery, 1 Bge Garrison with 3 reg.) with them I get 4 hits at the most and receive on the average of about 30. The hits almost all go to the Fort Battery, which will eventually be destroyed. But the Coastal Artillery has a much higher protection (30) compared to the Fort Battery's 2; plus the Coastal Artillery has 12 hits vs the Fort Battery's 8. Your ironclads have 12 protection.

After the Fort Battery is reduced the Garrison starts taking hits, but IIRC not as many as the Fort Battery. On top of that, the Garrison has many more hits to loss than the FB. Plus, since you will never reduce them in one turn, they will be getting replacements during your long-haul bombardment. So as long as the defender keeps some 1st Line Infantry in the pool, they will practically never run out.

You might think that the numbers will swing to your side after time, but you would be wrong. To bombard, you either have to be stationary in front of the fort with your bombardment button pressed, which will give you 1 bombardment per turn. Each turn you are at sea, your fleet will lose 0.5% cohesion per turn; this does not include cohesion loss from those 30 hits, nor weather. When your cohesion drops to about 70% (I've never found out at what exact %) you will stop getting hits on the fort, but will still be getting hit by it; and the Coastal Artillery being in a fort and stationary will lose no cohesion other than from hits, which they will promptly regain during the rest of the turn.

Well, what if you move your fleet back and forth in front of the fort and force them into a bombardment dual, that way you get as many hits as possible within the shortest period of time, thus reducing the chance of cohesion loss. But this doesn't take into account the fact that while your fleet is moving, especially ironclads in coastal regions, will be loosing more than the minimum 0.5% cohesion per turn, plus be taking Wear-n-Tear™ hits on top of that. It's like rubbing them over a huge cheese grater.

Okay, maybe ironclad in coastal regions are not the best choice. Let's try Armored and Steam Frigates. They move much more smoothly in coastal waters, and can therefore force the bombardment many more times that ironclads before dropping cohesion so far that they don't hit anymore. But Steam Frigates have protection 2 and Armored have 6. You can force move bombardment per turn but will get ground up much quicker at the same time.

So what do you do? One word: invade.

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:28 am

Excellent post, Cap'n! Ironclads are also not all that effective against regular ships either. Try a scenario with 10 confederate ironclads against 20-24 union ships-of-the-line and tell me what you get. And to think they all ran away from ONE ironclad back in March '62!
Two Rules: 1. The Tournament Director is always right. 2. When the Tournament Director is wrong, see Rule 1.

Chuske
Lieutenant

Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:25 pm

Longshanks wrote:Excellent post, Cap'n! Ironclads are also not all that effective against regular ships either. Try a scenario with 10 confederate ironclads against 20-24 union ships-of-the-line and tell me what you get. And to think they all ran away from ONE ironclad back in March '62!

Yeah ironclads seem surprisingly weak. Also seems there is an interesting tactic/exploit that Carpetbags bad used vs me namely "carpet brigging". A whole load of brigs with maybe 1 or 2 frigates is a relelatively cheap but effective navy for the CSA, and can do a surprising amount of damage to heavier Union fleets.

I'm wondering how naval combat is carried out? Seems the hits are spread out over the brigs while the lesser but heavier US ships get pummeled by the larger number of guns on the brig mulitude. Anyone else either tried the brig-daddy tactic or faced it?

William Tecumseh Sherman

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”