type7
Sergeant

Bombard button

Wed May 28, 2008 9:35 pm

My apologies if this is common knowledge, but I haven't played AACW in many months and was wondering if the bombard button is for bombarding or not bombarding as I vaguely remember it being for not bombarding the last time I played? Wondering if this has changed? A quick search didn't turn up recent info on this or my searching skills are poor :siffle:

Radditz68
Conscript

Wed May 28, 2008 9:45 pm

If you have the button "clicked" (indented) your fleet with Bombard.

arsan

Wed May 28, 2008 9:47 pm

Hi
The button is for NOT bombard. You will bombard by default.
In any case, the tooltip should confirm this.
In a previous patch there was a mistake with this and the button worked opposite that what the tool tip said but it is fixed on latest patches (1.10 up)
Regards

arsan

Wed May 28, 2008 9:50 pm

Radditz68 wrote:If you have the button "clicked" (indented) your fleet with Bombard.

:bonk:
Yeah, Radditz is right with the fleet button.
But with land units its opposite as i said. The land units button is for NOT bombarding passing fleets.
In both cases the tooltip should inform you of the action i think.
Cheers!

type7
Sergeant

Wed May 28, 2008 9:52 pm

arsan wrote:Hi
The button is for NOT bombard. You will bombard by default.
In any case, the tooltip should confirm this.
In a previous patch there was a mistake with this and the button worked opposite that what the tool tip said but it is fixed on latest patches (1.10 up)
Regards

:bonk: 2 different answers, plus using 1.10b my tooltip for ships says click to bombard leading me to believe I would have to click the button to bombard. When the button is 'depressed' the tooltip says something about now the fleet will bombard. In my limited Shiloh game, seemed like it was not clicking the button got the ships to bombard, but I was never quite sure.

edit..
Ok thanks :sourcil: I'll trust the tooltip and go with pressing the button for ships to bombard and keep a close eye on them to make sure they are actually bombarding.

arsan

Wed May 28, 2008 9:56 pm

type7 wrote: :bonk: 2 different answers, plus using 1.10b my tooltip for ships says click to bombard leading me to believe I would have to click the button to bombard. When the button is 'depressed' the tooltip says something about now the fleet will bombard. In my limited Shiloh game, seemed like it was not clicking the button got the ships to bombard, but I was never quite sure.

Sorry, i thought your were asking for the land units "not bombard" button! :nuts:
Ships button is to BOMBARD
Land button is to NOT BOMBARD

type7
Sergeant

Wed May 28, 2008 9:58 pm

No worries, thanks for the help :D

arsan

Wed May 28, 2008 9:59 pm

Hi again! :niark:

By the way, also bear in mind that ships can only bombard in support of a land combat on an adjacent land area... or as a reply to a land unit bombard.
They will not bombard "alone".

GShock

Wed May 28, 2008 10:33 pm

Lol Arsan, u're da man!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
We ain't going down!

type7
Sergeant

Wed May 28, 2008 10:45 pm

arsan wrote:Hi again! :niark:

By the way, also bear in mind that ships can only bombard in support of a land combat on an adjacent land area... or as a reply to a land unit bombard.
They will not bombard "alone".

Ok, thanks again :hat:

Radditz68
Conscript

Thu May 29, 2008 8:25 pm

:king:

Mauzophis
Conscript

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:48 pm

arsan wrote:Land button is to NOT BOMBARD

Hm, with Ver 1.10d the tooltip over a non pressed button says:
"Click to Bombard passing ships with your units."
And over a pressed button:
"Your units have order to bombard any passing ships."

Seems like the tooltips are wrong again...???

arsan

Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:02 pm

Mauzophis wrote:Hm, with Ver 1.10d the tooltip over a non pressed button says:
"Click to Bombard passing ships with your units."
And over a pressed button:
"Your units have order to bombard any passing ships."

Seems like the tooltips are wrong again...???

Damn, right now i don't remember anymore how it was supposed to be :bonk: :bonk: :bonk:
Sorry. :innocent:
Could you check if the tooltip and the button effect are correlated??
As long as the button do as the tooltip says its Ok.
The problem would be that the tooltip say one thing and the button do the opposite. This problem was supposedly fixed on 1.10 patch

Regards!

Gray_Lensman

Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:24 pm

deleted

arsan

Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:35 pm

Hi Gray

Luckily I always work with Excel when translating the Spanish strings.
But i did not know the problem with OpenOffice. Thanks for the advice as i was thinking about installing the OpenOffice suite to give it a try :bonk:
Don't know if this bombard/don't bombard thing is a "real" problem or maybe just a mistake i did when i posted that answer or a posterior chenge on the button :bonk:
If Mauzophis or somebody else can confirm that the tooltip/button function are consistent everything will be right... at lest on English. Probably we should look at the translation to check that all are consistent.
Regards!

Gray_Lensman

Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:51 pm

deleted

Primasprit

Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:18 pm

As an added note, I even posted about the incompatibility problem on the OpenOffice website, and was rather abruptly told that I should not format "my" spreadsheet is such a way. I then commented that a purported "clone" should at least be able to open/save/close existing .xls files without corrupting them and if it couldn't, maybe the extension that it works with should be .xlo and not .xls. Being a long time Microsoft opponent, I was rather disappointed in the response from OpenOffice.

Is this a problem with the xls format only or does it affect their OpenOffice ods format too?

Gray_Lensman

Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:43 pm

deleted

Primasprit

Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:46 pm

Gray_Lensman wrote:As far as I know, it affects only the .xls formatted files that OpenOffice opens/saves.

Bad, I had not planned to buy MS Office... Image

Gray_Lensman

Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:06 pm

deleted

Mauzophis
Conscript

Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:21 pm

All-Clear: I just had a ship bombardement with a "pressed" bombard button.
So the tooltips are right (although the icon with a crossed ship is a little confusing...).

Primasprit

Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:48 pm

Gray_Lensman wrote:[...] Apparently, MS Excel has a higher character limit per data cell than OpenOffice.

Not really, I copy-pasted a 300+ page book to a single cell, saved and loaded with no issues.... as ods however. So it seems to be a glitch in the xls filter. :p leure:

arsan

Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:01 pm

Mauzophis wrote:All-Clear: I just had a ship bombardement with a "pressed" bombard button.
So the tooltips are right (although the icon with a crossed ship is a little confusing...).

Thanks for the report!
I agree with you about the icon... but at least the tooltips don't lie :siffle:
Maybe for 1.10e icons, effect and tooltip could be made consistent at last :innocent:

Gray_Lensman

Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:05 am

deleted

Mauzophis
Conscript

Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:55 pm

arsan wrote:Thanks for the report!
I agree with you about the icon... but at least the tooltips don't lie :siffle:
Maybe for 1.10e icons, effect and tooltip could be made consistent at last :innocent:

And it's important to remember that the default options is not to bombard (I always thought it was the opposite).
BTW: In my game I noticed the button is not always staying in its state after pressing. Sometimes it's switching back to non bombard after executing a turn.
Does anybody notice the same phenomenon?

Gray_Lensman

Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:59 pm

deleted

arsan

Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:11 pm

Gray_Lensman wrote:Actually, I would want "offensive" settings to reset between turns. That way they are not forgotten. If you want to continue an offensive setting, you should have to go re-click it.

Hmmm... i´m not sure about it at all... it could be a micromanaging nightmare or you would easely forgot to click again and will the enemy ships go up and down "your" river at will. :niark:
I think its better for it to stay put on the last position you clicked. :cwboy:

Mauzophis
I don't recall having that problem, but i can be positive as i had played little lately :p leure:

Gray_Lensman

Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:17 pm

deleted

Franciscus

Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:31 pm

Gray_Lensman wrote:Actually, I would want "offensive" settings to reset between turns. That way they are not forgotten. If you want to continue an offensive setting, you should have to go re-click it.

A few thoughts
I also confirm that the button and tooltip (in english) for the bombard order for land units is OK (ie, click to bombard passing ships). In my game 1.10d, it stays depressed between turns (good thing)

Now, I do not agree with Gray on this. Bombarding passing ships is not a offensive procedure, rather a defensive action. Let me say on the contrary that I would like just the opposite: the game default should be for the land units to bombard passing ships, and not the opposite :indien:
(- Soldier at Drewry's Bluff: Sir, some union transports are ascending the James. Should we shoot at them ?
- Arty lieutenant: No, man. Our orders are to stay put. We are not here to get noticed. Besides, they are probably just making a sightseeing trip :tournepas :nuts: )

Gray_Lensman

Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:03 pm

deleted

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”