Alzate
Private

staying into the city?

Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:18 pm

dear all,
not sure why but i had the impression that you get a defensive bonus if you enter a town/city (even if there is any fort) instead of being outside it. however, after playing for some time i have the impression that in order to get a defensive bonus (trenches) is better to keep the defensive position but outside the city than inside
am i right in thinking so?
thx

arsan

Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:31 pm

Hi
You can entrench equally in or out the city.
But there is a little defensive bonus on cities. Also, the terrain is restricted and a little force inside the city can only be attacked by a big enemy with only some of his forces at a time. An advantage to the defender.

The BIG problem is that inside the city you are vulnerable to siege or surrender of all your forces if you lose the battle.
Outside the city, the remaining of your defeated troops will withdraw to another area and live to fight another day.

AACW experts like runyan advise to always defend outside (ckeck his great strategy tips about this matter here)

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=6823

I (not an AACW expert at all… :siffle: ) prefer to keep very small forces (garrison of militia or small brigades) inside, but place bigger forces outside so they can retreat.

Cheers!

Alzate
Private

Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:42 pm

that makes a lot of sense and it is in line with my experience

muchas gracias!

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”