Goldschlager
Civilian

When will this game be available via STEAM?

Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:57 am

anyone?

Bueller?

Bueller?

Primasprit

Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:43 am

I don't know, but digital download is already available directly from Ageod, GamersGate and Matrix Games.

Paul Roberts

Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:08 pm

Yeah. Why Steam at all?

Toten
Private

Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:17 pm

One of the main reasons is that steam has a huge user base that is use to buying games online.

PhilThib

Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:24 pm

They did very poorly on Birth of America...much less than Matrix :fleb: :siffle:

PBBoeye
General

Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:44 pm

Just from looking at STEAM and the scores of the 'Strategy' games there, I can see it isn't a place for a truly strategy oriented game like anything either AGEod or Matrix produces. I think the word 'strategy' is lofted around way too freely by software sites such as STEAM and others. More like kid games there, to me.

Rafiki

Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:47 pm

Might be about what kind of crowd you get at the various services? I imagine Steam to be very much about FPS and suchlike, while places like Gamers Gate and Matrix have a lot more grand strategy oriented customers, thereby giving a much better match with the kind of games that AGEod makes :)
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

Goldschlager
Civilian

Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:18 pm

I use steam pretty heavily. (used to do lots of Counter-Strike, DoD, etc...basically anything that uses the Half-Life 2 game engine.)
Anyhoo, I was cruising around in Steam and that's where I discovered BoA and downloaded it. Love it. Love it. And I think I will like ACW even more, but didn't see it listed in Steam.
From AGEOD's website, things seem to be listed in Euro's only. Pretty daunting for a state-side country lump such as myself. Is anyone else selling it? (a copy on CD would be even better)

Goldschlager
Civilian

Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:28 pm

check! GamersGate and Matrix. Thanks!

But at first glance, a download appears to be the only option. Is there any way to get a CD? (with US dollars).

PBBoeye
General

Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:35 pm

Matrix offers a CD for like an extra $10. The third purchase option says:

Physical Shipment Plus Download ($59.99)

AGEod also offers a physical copy:

http://www.ageod.com/game-AGEOD%2527s%2BAmerican%2BCivil%2BWar_ACW-ENG100.html

Or, ya just d/l and burn it, although you get a hard copy of the rules manual with a CD purchase. And Pocus' signature. :bonk:

However, I'm not sure but wouldn't AGEod's sales be shipped from Europe to the States? Isn't MatrixGames the USA supplier of hard copies?

Goldschlager
Civilian

Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:56 pm

Checkmate!

thanks for the info! :-)

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:13 pm

I would pay for the hard copy of the game if Pocus would sign it?!! Tag
PS: Pocus is a hero of mine. LOL

Pocus

Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:45 am

tss tss, I'm not even a man. Just a squirrel :)

Seriously. There is one thing I don't like in Steam: they need to have custom patches made. And they don't survey themselves the games they sell for patches, so we have to provide them so they can rebuild the whole application with it).

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Omnius
Lieutenant Colonel

Why Get Steamed?

Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:51 pm

Pocus wrote:tss tss, I'm not even a man. Just a squirrel :)

Seriously. There is one thing I don't like in Steam: they need to have custom patches made. And they don't survey themselves the games they sell for patches, so we have to provide them so they can rebuild the whole application with it).

Pocus,
Yeah I've seen this nonsensical practice piss off many gamers on many game sites. One reason I'll never get steamed at Steam because they seem to have some penchant for having their own version that's not compatible with the real program or updates from the originating company.

Can I get this game in a store somewhere? I don't do downloading and I hate purchasing via the internet. I got BoA at EB Games because Strategy First is smart enough to market via retail stores. If I can't buy the game at a store near me then I won't be buying.
Omnius

Pocus

Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:04 pm

You can buy a box at NWS software (a US store). Call Christopher Dean, he is a very professional man, selling games to wargamers since more years than I recall. He accepts postal checks also.

http://www.navalwarfare.info/files/website/storeinfo.html

Company Information:
Naval Warfare Simulations / NWS-Online Store
http://www.navalwarfare.net
Location #1: 214 Leoser Street, Tahlequah, OK 74464-7034
Location #2: 2912 Sanka Dr, Orlando, FL 32826-3340
+1 (407) 925-7782 24/7
Email:
[email="nws-online@nws-online.net"]nws-online@nws-online.net[/email]

Backup Email Account: [email="warshipfc@yahoo.com"]warshipfc@yahoo.com[/email]

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Sheytan
Lieutenant

Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:34 am

I have been using Matrix for years and am quite happy with thier service.

PBBoeye
General

Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:52 am

Here's my recent interaction with Matrix - it's positive.

I've bought several games from them, and use the 'Extended D/L' option. It's worth it, because I had to redownload AACW, and had lost my serial number and all of that. And to top it off, unlike all my other games with them, I forgot to register it!

So the only thing I had was my Paypal purchase info, and on it there was my Matrix order number. I emailed them on a weekend. Didn't hear back from them so by Monday about noon, wanting to get things straightened out, I called customer support. He asked for my order number and gave me all the info I needed. It was good customer support.

I recommend Matrix from a buyer's standpoint. Certain games, maybe not so much. But definitely respectable from a support standpoint.

Sheytan
Lieutenant

Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:43 am

roger that!

PBBoeye wrote:Here's my recent interaction with Matrix - it's positive.

I've bought several games from them, and use the 'Extended D/L' option. It's worth it, because I had to redownload AACW, and had lost my serial number and all of that. And to top it off, unlike all my other games with them, I forgot to register it!

So the only thing I had was my Paypal purchase info, and on it there was my Matrix order number. I emailed them on a weekend. Didn't hear back from them so by Monday about noon, wanting to get things straightened out, I called customer support. He asked for my order number and gave me all the info I needed. It was good customer support.

I recommend Matrix from a buyer's standpoint. Certain games, maybe not so much. But definitely respectable from a support standpoint.

heroes99
Private

Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:57 am

PBBoeye wrote:Here's my recent interaction with Matrix - it's positive.

Actually you can locate your download here http://www.findmyorder.com

The extra charge for extended download is not really worth it since
you are given 30 days to download the game for free and it never seem to expire

I do suggest that you should burn the setup files together with the serial number for future keeping

Cheers

Omnius
Lieutenant Colonel

Thanks for the Dope

Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:52 pm

Pocus wrote:You can buy a box at NWS software (a US store). Call Christopher Dean, he is a very professional man, selling games to wargamers since more years than I recall. He accepts postal checks also.

http://www.navalwarfare.info/files/website/storeinfo.html

Company Information:
Naval Warfare Simulations / NWS-Online Store
http://www.navalwarfare.net
Location #1: 214 Leoser Street, Tahlequah, OK 74464-7034
Location #2: 2912 Sanka Dr, Orlando, FL 32826-3340
+1 (407) 925-7782 24/7
Email:
[email="nws-online@nws-online.net"]nws-online@nws-online.net[/email]

Backup Email Account: [email="warshipfc@yahoo.com"]warshipfc@yahoo.com[/email]

Pocus,
Thanks for the dope on where to get the boxed game in the USA. I sure hope that you'll be able to increase store sales so I can actually find a copy in a store near me. I just like going into a store, plopping down my cold hard cash, and walking out with my game. No waiting for the mail, no extra S&H charges and usually a discounted price. Since matrix doesn't do discounts I don't do matrix.
Omnius

PBBoeye
General

Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:07 pm

The store expects to make money off the sale, so the price goes up. You get a discount when they are trying to get rid of stock that won't sell. That type of investment for a wargame company in this day and age is difficult to muster, and I certainly don't blame any wargame or strategy game company for staying out of that deadend market.

Chamberlain
Captain

Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:40 am

We've used Christopher Dean from NWS software (a US store) for our MMG Community for "Take Command 2nd Manassas" game and were very pleased with Chris and his team.
Very Professional....

Chamberlain

flintlock
Captain

Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:23 pm

I've dealt with Chris in the past too. Very pleasant and professional--he also bent over backwards to help resolve an issue. Highly recommended.

Jakobgood
Civilian

Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:44 pm

I personally wouldn't recommend STEAM. :p leure:

I bought BoA today and apparently I didn't buy the game. I bought a 'subscription' to the game. Meaning I have to use STEAM to play the game.

At least Gamersgate lets me have the game on my freaking computer.

Sorry my 1st post is lamenting my situation. I recently found out about these games and am very impressed.

Rafiki

Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:23 pm

My copy of BOA came from Gamer's Gate; no regrets and no grievances.

My copy of AACW came directly from AGEod; no regrets or grievances there either.

My copies of NCP and VGN will be coming from AGEod, based on my experience with AACW and what I've seen of their customer support hereabouts (especially for people that have lost the downloaded game and suchlike) :)
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE

Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”