How is your experience with the new sound mixer

The sounds play fine, no problem on my side
94%
I noticed some problems (please report in this thread)
6%
The game don't load anymore / crash at start (please report in this thread)
No votes

Total votes: 18
Pocus

[Public Beta test] - Changing the way sounds are mixed

Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:07 pm

To get details on this, please check the 1.05f thread, located here:

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?p=37281#post37281

If you get any problem or something weird with the way sounds are handled, please report and describe what is the issue. Thanks much for your help.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Caesar
Private

Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:17 pm

I installed this patch and got the following error:

An error occured while trying to replace the existing file.
DeleteFile Failed; Code 5.
Access is denied.

I chose to ignore it as that was one of the choices and now the game won't open.

I'm going to try and reinstall 1.05e, if that doesn't work I'll reinstall.

(I posted this in the technical forum also.)

Pocus

Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:20 pm

This is a problem with the patching process. Rebooting your computer can help.
Not a sound issue at least!

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

James D Burns

Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:51 pm

I noticed a text message flash by on the line where the save game file name displays when you save a game, and the message stated a song was playing or loading (couldn't read entire message in time), but heard no song. The message was far to fast for me to have read the song name and I never saw it again.

I do occasionally hear a song play, but it’s a lot less often than before. I think certain songs are no longer playing and others are.

I have a SB Audigy 4 sound card.

Jim

aristoteles
Corporal

Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:59 pm

No problems at all so far, been playing for just 1 hour though,...

Franciscus

Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:41 pm

Well, for me this patch seems to have solved a problem that existed since 1.0. The first time that I started AACW, I never got any sound, and had to quit and start again. Now apparently, sound at first try! :niark:
I still notice relatively long delays between musics, though (maybe that's WAD).
So, bottomline: for me this new sound mixer is certainly at least equal, probably better than what was before :cwboy:

flintlock
Captain

Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:50 am

No sound related issues encountered with the sound mixer version of 1.05f.

Ingtar
Private

Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:22 am

The sound seemed a bit sharper, more full. That could have been my imagination I suppose.

pasternakski
Colonel

Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:27 am

1.05f works fine for me, but can it do "In a Gadda da Vida," man?

Pocus

Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:49 am

Are you not already in the garden of heaven here? ;)

Seriously, yes, the mixer could play very very long songs, we will see to add more options for the music settings (randomizing intro songs, interval between them, changing volume, preparing your coffee).

Pocus

Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:50 am

James D Burns wrote:I noticed a text message flash by on the line where the save game file name displays when you save a game, and the message stated a song was playing or loading (couldn't read entire message in time), but heard no song. The message was far to fast for me to have read the song name and I never saw it again.

I do occasionally hear a song play, but it’s a lot less often than before. I think certain songs are no longer playing and others are.

I have a SB Audigy 4 sound card.

Jim

This is noted James. I will collect the issues for now, and see with the people in details after to double check them. Thanks for the report.

Pocus

Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:50 am

About the mixer, watch particularly how it performs during battle where the sounds can be mixed in number and if you hear something strange.

mike1962
Sergeant

Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:59 pm

Battle sounds and all seem just fine here on a Toshiba Satellite notebook.

pakfront
Corporal

Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:09 am

I noticed a text message flash by on the line where the save game file name displays when you save a game, and the message stated a song was playing or loading (couldn't read entire message in time), but heard no song. The message was far to fast for me to have read the song name and I never saw it again.

I believe I saw the same thing happen while I was in the main menu. [edit] saw it again - it was track 02 I think [/edit] Other than that, new sound system seems to work fine
Did notice one other thing - with music option off, title/load up music doesn't play. it used to. Also, as I play a bit more, I notice sound may actually be more pleasing than before - I had been turning off the music because it was distracting, but I had it on to test patch 'f' and now I am finding I like it.
Using an on-mobo sound system, AC97 of some sort. win-xp

PDF

Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:05 pm

Ca marche pour moi :)

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”