chicanist
Civilian

Navy Questions

Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:18 pm

Hi -

Great game so far, just had a couple of questions about the Naval aspect of the game...

1) What does naval bombardment do exactly? Does it just increase the effectiveness of a siege or are there other effects?

2) If I have gunships patrolling a river region, does that stop enemy troops from crossing that river?

3) Any suggestions on how the Union should use its ocean-bound fleet in the early stages of the campaign? So far I've just been sending every warship off to the blockade boxes but I'm wondering if there's a better way to use them...

thanks!

LAVA
Sergeant

Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:37 pm

Good questions!

I'm preparing for my first ocean bound amphibious assault. I had a heck of a time loading up the troops. Seems you have to place the troops you want to load up on the land first and then drop the inport fleet on top of the them.

I also took my pacific squadron and sent it to the carribean blockade box... and they disappeared before they made it into the box (I think.. wasn't watching too closely cause it took awhile). Not sure if they were sunk or not.

Ray (aka LAVA)

PhilThib

Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:32 am

Good questions

1) Naval bombardment inflicts hits on the forces targetted and reduces their cohesion (just like an artilelry bombardment). Defenders may return fire and inflict losses to ships, if they have artilelry on their own. So bombarding may be a good thing to do in anticipation of an assault for example

2) Yes, they prevent crossing (although there's a small chance a crossing may still occur)

3) Blockade is the best you can do with the USN in the early stages, because it directly impacts the CSA production, both in terms of blockaded ports losing ressources and in reduction of the blockade runners chances of success. Build more blockade flottilas than the ones provided with the 'Blockade' event, and send them there, plus some frigates squadrons to patrol / catch runners and raiders... Then progressively send squadrons off the largest CSA ports (Wilmington NC, Charleston SC, New Orleans) to prevent sorties and accentuate blockade... in the long term, prepare some naval expedition with 1 corps equivalent of troop and capture every undefended CSA port you can...

Pocus

Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:51 am

I'm preparing for my first ocean bound amphibious assault. I had a heck of a time loading up the troops. Seems you have to place the troops you want to load up on the land first and then drop the inport fleet on top of the them.

use the tabs, drop the land tab (representing the troops) on the naval tab (the fleet), and voila, they are both merged together. You can handle all units manipulation with tabs and such, no need to ever drop a stack into the region or the structure, if you don't like this way.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

type7
Sergeant

Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:23 pm

Some more navy questions

For the union, do non blockade fleet units do anything in the blockade box? It seems like they do, but whether I put a handful in there or 15, the % on the box never changes. How many ships are needed in the blockade box to be effective? Is there somewhere I can see that if I add another x number of ships, the % blockaded will go up?

Same thing for the trade box. Do just transports add to the material brought in? Is there somewhere I can see how many ships I need to add before I'll see an increase in material brought in?

Wilhammer
Captain

Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:33 pm

In BOA, I was attempting to use Howe's Fleet to support a land attack at Portsmouth in the North, and Runyan99 the Clever put an artillerist general in charge of the Naval Artillery there.

Oh My; a rate 74 and a rate 64 went to the bottom, and the frigates in that one naval unit took heavy damage, and other ships took minor damage. The land combat went through 3 or 4 rounds, so my Navy went through those rounds.

Devastating shore batteries, they be, if in the right hands.

johnnycai
Major

Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:03 pm

Pocus, do the land and naval forces need to be in the same city/harbour then since thats the only time you see the tabs of the land/naval forces together.
A follow up question, I attempted to load my forces from Baltimore, did the tab load, and then moved the fleet (with the land forces showing in the combined group) to the sea/coastal region. How do I unload them and have it properly show the est. no. of days till they land. I somehow landed 2 supply units in an enemy region while the division of infantry stayed boarded and adjacent in the naval vessels still.
During the turn execution, I promptly lost my support/supply units and have to redo the amphib operation in the near future.

John :siffle:

Frank E

Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:28 pm

johnnycai wrote:Pocus, do the land and naval forces need to be in the same city/harbour then since thats the only time you see the tabs of the land/naval forces together.
A follow up question, I attempted to load my forces from Baltimore, did the tab load, and then moved the fleet (with the land forces showing in the combined group) to the sea/coastal region. How do I unload them and have it properly show the est. no. of days till they land. I somehow landed 2 supply units in an enemy region while the division of infantry stayed boarded and adjacent in the naval vessels still.
During the turn execution, I promptly lost my support/supply units and have to redo the amphib operation in the near future.

John :siffle:

If they aren't in the same harbor, you can move a fleet offshore and manually drag the land unit onto the fleet to order them to load.

There are 2 ways to unload. If you have a friendly harbor at the destination, just order the fleet to tht harbor and they'll unload automatically when they get there. If you don't have a harbor, order the fleet to the sea region, select the units that you want to unload and then drag them to their destination (land) territory.

jimwinsor
General of the Army

Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:39 pm

Frank E wrote:If they aren't in the same harbor, you can move a fleet offshore and manually drag the land unit onto the fleet to order them to load.

There are 2 ways to unload. If you have a friendly harbor at the destination, just order the fleet to tht harbor and they'll unload automatically when they get there. If you don't have a harbor, order the fleet to the sea region, select the units that you want to unload and then drag them to their destination (land) territory.

This brings up something I noticed about river transport, generic vs. actual.

When you use your generic river transport capacity to move units, you pay the full land MPs to enter the destination...even if it is a port. This can be a steep cost; ie, a swamp province along the Mississippi in mud.

OTOH, if you load onto actual riverboats, they steam right on into their port destination at minimal MPs.

Just an interesting observation!

Pocus

Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:43 pm

both have their uses yes.

About the landing: you first multi select all the units you want to land (which are in the same stack as the ships), and then take one and drop it onto the land region. This will create a landing forces. A given fleet can't land 2 forces during the same turn, so if you land 2 supplies, you won't be able to land something else as a separate force, but you can still add units to your supplies to help them (drag and drop as usual).

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”