Pat "Stonewall" Cleburne
General of the Army

Cumberland Gap?

Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:57 am

Being a native Kentuckian, I feel some shame in finally noticing that the Cumberland Gap is not represented in the game. E.K. Smith led one prong of the 1862 invasion of KY through the gap and it was an important feature fought over in the first 2 years of the war. In terms of the map, the region Lee, VA is impassable mountain terrain. This blocks the gap. The Cumberland Gap definitely needs to be open.

I also wouldn't mind to see another southern KY town represented on the map. Prestonsburg is on the map and it was ~100 people in 1860. Further west, Richmond and London were both ~750 during the Civil War. Another structure in Southern KY could represent the region better and allow for a less linear invasion route for KY. If it comes to it, replacing Prestonsburg with one on the Gap route would make more sense.

While I was looking at the census numbers, Covington KY (opposite Cincinnati) was 16,000 people in 1860. I think that definitely warrants a structure (probably size 3) as well. Lexington was only 22,000 people.

I'm not sure what you can accomplish Lodi, but unlocking Lee, VA is a must. The other stuff might fall under the "legacy patch" issue.

Captain_Orso

Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:47 am

Good Sir, the Cumberland Gap most certainly is represented in the game, just not terribly well.

As you have noted, the region of Lee VA is impassable mountain. The 2 region directly east and west of it also; Claiborne TN and Russel VA. The game will not allow you to plot a move through Claiborne and Russel at all, but you can plot a move through Lee VA. What you cannot do is stand in the gap as E. K. Smith did.

The dotted yellow line represents the old trails leading up to and through the gap.

BTW Cumberland Ford is now named Pineville, Kentucky.

Pat "Stonewall" Cleburne
General of the Army

Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:12 am

Ahh, I didn't figure you could navigate through an impassable region. There's not much reason to with the terrain the way it is though.

Ace

Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:50 am

Pat "Stonewall" Cleburne wrote:Ahh, I didn't figure you could navigate through an impassable region. There's not much reason to with the terrain the way it is though.

You actually dont pass through impassable region, you pass beside it. The game uses direct transit or jump link between Harlan, KY and Scott, VA, similar to transit links between California and Arizona, New Mexico.

Stauffenberg
General

Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:11 pm

Ace wrote:You actually dont pass through impassable region, you pass beside it. The game uses direct transit or jump link between Harlan, KY and Scott, VA, similar to transit links between California and Arizona, New Mexico.

That's interesting: I wondered how I was able to plot a unit move over Lee VA while of course not being able to go in to it.
It also seems to be the case for Williams AL (SW of Chattanooga), and I suppose there are others, or really any with a road or trail showing up through it.

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”