John Sedgwick
Colonel

Questions Re: 1.16rc4a

Wed May 25, 2011 9:25 pm

I searched the forums but couldn't find any definitive answers to these questions. First, I just updated AACW 1.15 to 1.16rc4a + Hotfix 1 - is this okay, or should I update to 1.16rc4a from a clean install of 1.00? Second, I've noticed that corps marching to the sound of the guns don't instantly return to their starting positions, but use normal movement to return from whence they came - from what I've read, it seems this is WAD, but I've never seen this happening in 1.15 - I assume this is a newly added feature, but I couldn't find any mention of it in the changelog - I was just wondering if and when this was changed? Third, I've noticed that the message log no longer tells me, e.g., that I've captured "1,000 rifles" from the enemy, but says rather, "1 hundreds of rifles" or something to that effect - it's a minor gripe, but I was wondering if there's a way to easily correct this grammatical error myself, e.g. by modifying a text string or something?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer any of these questions.
"I'm ashamed of you, dodging that way. They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage

Gray_Lensman

Wed May 25, 2011 10:14 pm

deleted

Ol' Choctaw

Thu May 26, 2011 10:21 am

I had this happen too.

I don’t know how a hot fix would affect it, so I am not sure it is WAD. I only did the hot fix and did not download the full patch.

I had a confusing moment when corps would show up on tabs in two areas, as though they occupied more than on area.

I assume that this was because they were in one area but belonged in the other and were on their way back, or something. Actually one was in an other area but also its tab showed up with the main army.

Sorry I didn’t save the turn.

John Sedgwick
Colonel

Thu May 26, 2011 12:39 pm

Thanks Gray. I'll do a clean reinstall and apply the patch and hotfix when I get a chance, and maybe try dropping the s from "hundreds" in the csv you mentioned to assuage my tender grammatical sensibilities in the meantime.

Ol' Choctaw - I think I may have seen something like this myself (I assume you mean the stack icon rather than the tab that appears on the GUI?). I haven't noticed any duplicate corps on the map, but I have seen at least one instance where a corps appears to be in one region when it is actually in another, and as you said, it seems to happen when they're returning somewhere. Picking up and dropping the stack seems to fix the problem, either returning them to where they really are, or displaying a movement path to the area they previously appeared to be located. Very strange. If I see this again I'll be sure to keep the save file.
"I'm ashamed of you, dodging that way. They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."ImageImage

Pocus

Fri May 27, 2011 1:32 pm

That would be a bug, if the corps don't come back just after battle in his original position. I guess I'll need a save (with backup1) to check this one.

As for the wording, it can sound strange when you only capture 1 hundred of rifles, but game rules wise, it is better than expressing in 1000. Now, as I only speak Engrish (with some Klingon mixing), please be my guest and correct me :)

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

John Sedgwick
Colonel

Fri May 27, 2011 1:46 pm

Thanks Pocus. I don't have the saves anymore, but if I see this again in my clean install over 1.00, I'll be sure to pass those on.

Makes sense expressing it in hundreds rather than thousands. I just went into the .csv file and dropped the s, problem solved. I assume this wouldn't affect compatibility for PBEM games...

Engrish and Klingon, eh? Well in that case, qatlho' ;)

Pat "Stonewall" Cleburne
General of the Army

Fri May 27, 2011 9:35 pm

I guess it should be 1 hundred rifles. No "of" necessary. I was thinking the hundreds is a bug too though. You always capture more men then rifles in battle now. This seems backwards to me?

John Sedgwick
Colonel

Fri May 27, 2011 11:09 pm

Yea, that was my mistake, there was no "of" to begin with. Just says "x hundreds rifles", which was easy enough to fix. The discrepancy between prisoners and rifles doesn't seem far fetched to me - maybe some got lost when they threw them away?

Anyway, I haven't noticed the MTSG bug since doing a clean 1.16rc4a reinstall over 1.00 (not yet, haven't played very much), but I did notice I got a bunch of events in Early April 1863 in the '63 campaign - chapman plot fails, laboratory explosion, food riots, and a couple others all at once. Is this a bug, or was early April just a really eventful month? Maybe there's some randomization involved in when they happen? I set aside the save files if Pocus wants to take a look at this.

Gray_Lensman

Sat May 28, 2011 3:11 am

deleted

John Sedgwick
Colonel

Sat May 28, 2011 2:40 pm

Thanks again Gray. I figured that was probably what was happening here.

Uncle John
Private

Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:45 am

I feel like an idiot, but I've been searching the forum and the AGEOD site and cannot find the link to the 1.16rc4a patch.

Pat "Stonewall" Cleburne
General of the Army

Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:23 am

Jorje Vidrio
Corporal

Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:03 pm

Does this new patch invalidate saved campaigns? And should it be done over a vanilla 1.0 version or can it be done over 1.15? :confused:

gchristie
Brigadier General

Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:22 pm

Jorje Vidrio wrote:Does this new patch invalidate saved campaigns? And should it be done over a vanilla 1.0 version or can it be done over 1.15? :confused:

My practice has been to start from the vanilla version each time and I've not had problems doing so. If memory serves, this is the recommended approach by the Dons of the forum.
"Now, back to Rome for a quick wedding - and some slow executions!"- Miles Gloriosus

John Sedgwick
Colonel

Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:23 pm

I can vouch for what gchristie just said - I suspect it was installing 1.16rc4a over 1.15 that introduced the MTSG bugs I encountered. I believe a clean reinstall over 1.00 solved the problem, though I can't be completely sure since I haven't played much recently.

And yes, I'm pretty sure it will invalidate older savegames. You can still play 1.15 games (last time I checked), but you will likely notice a lot of little errors.

Captain
Captain

Me Too

Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:02 am

[quote="Pocus"]That would be a bug, if the corps don't come back just after battle in his original position. I guess I'll need a save (with backup1) to check this one.

Yes I had the same problem. Caught all my Corps from the army out of position as I thought they were where they were before they marched to the guns.

BTW this 1.164 patch is it the offical new patch we are supposed to move to?

gchristie
Brigadier General

Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:46 pm

Nope, 1.16 Release Candidate 4a is not official. We are waiting on the final official patch but I have found this version stable and an improvement over 1.15.
"Now, back to Rome for a quick wedding - and some slow executions!"- Miles Gloriosus

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:45 pm

I would expect no profound changes from 4a when it is 'officialized', unless lodielefty (bless him and keep him well) sees s. t. that cannot be ignored. Perhaps a few tweaks, is all I would expect. rc4a runs well, is not unbalanced and plays well. I consider it semi-official at this point.
[color="#AFEEEE"]"Liberty and Union, now and forever, one and inseparable!"[/color]
-Daniel Webster

[color="#FFA07A"]"C'mon, boys, we got the damn Yankees on the run!"[/color]
-General Joseph Wheeler, US Army, serving at Santiago in 1898

RULES
(A) When in doubt, agree with Ace.
(B) Pull my reins up sharply when needed, for I am a spirited thoroughbred and forget to turn at the post sometimes.

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”