WallysWorld
Captain

American Civil War: J.E. Johnston and N.B. Forrest

Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:14 am

I once posted these exact quesitons in another forum years ago to start a debate and it turned out to be really interesting to read the comments. So I thought I would start the same debate here regarding two Southern generals and the what-ifs of history.

1) J.E. Johnston - everyone knows how he skillfully withdrew in front of Sherman's larger army until almost reaching Atlanta with only a few fights or skirmishes. When Davis replaced Johnston with Hood, some say it was the end of the war in the west as Hood led his army to defeat by his overaggressiveness. My question is if Davis never did replace Johnston with Hood, could Johnston have held onto Atlanta long enough for Lincoln to lose the 1864 election? Was Johnston's strategy to withdraw and wait for an opportunity to strike at his advantage the right strategy to take against Sherman's numerical forces?

2) N.B. Forrest - everyone knows what a great tactician he was, but what would have happened if Forrest was put in command of the Army of the Tennessee? Author Matthew Brady in his book 'The Illustrated History of the Civil War" wrote that by keeping Forrest in only small commands, Davis kept down the one person who could have taken on Sherman and perhaps Grant himself and beat either of them on the battlefield. J.E. Johnston himself once said that Forrest, given a proper military education, would have been THE central figure of the American Civil War. Any comments if Forrest should have been the man to lead the entire Army of the Tennessee against Sherman in the west?

Any and all replies are welcome and thanked.

marecone

Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:12 am

Forrest, hmmm... the best general in ACW in my opinion. I am not sure but I belive he turned down high command at some point. We can only guess how he would act in higher commands but as brigade leader he was the best. Few things about what kind of a man he was.
First you can read my signature. These are the words from his last speech to his men. 26 horses were shot under him! 26! He was always in front yelling follow me not go and I will arrive later :sourcil: . I can't remember but someone wrote that since the Hannibal no leader of an army did kill so much enemies with his own hand.
I am sure that he wouldn't like an army command becuase he wasn't a man that would sit and smoke a pipe and plan grand operations. He was a solider.
Forrest said something about killing a Yankee for each of his horses that they shot. In the last days of the war, Forrest had killed 30 of the enemy and had 30 horses shot from under him. In a brief but savage conflict, a Yankee soldier "saw glory for himself" with an opportunity to kill the famous Confederate General... Forrest killed the fellow. Making 31 Yankees personally killed, and 30 horses lost...

He remarked, "I ended the war a horse ahead."

Return to “ACW History Club / Histoire de la Guerre de Sécession”