WallysWorld
Captain

Your ACW fix while you wait for AACW

Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:59 am

I hope Ageod doesn't mind me posting the link to Frank Hunter's old American Civil War game "From Sumter to Appomattox". I bought it when it first came out in 1996 and have played it numerous times. Now Hunter has released the code for free and it can be downloaded at the below website.

Unfortunately there is no sound with this version and the graphics are basic, but the strategy play is pretty solid. I still play this version when I want my ACW strategy fix.

Frank Hunter's "American Civil War:From Sumter to Appomattox"

IronBrigadeYankee
Major

Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:23 am

Ahhhh...an old classic. I was so happy when it was released for free. The interface is a bit to get used to, but the strategy is excellent. Still one of the best Civil War games of all time, no doubt
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

-Thomas Paine

Pocus

Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:48 am

A good game yes. Frank Hunter said somewhere that he planned to update the map with more hexes one day.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Sol Invictus

Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:02 pm

It was certainly a gem in its day. Frank is planning on a new version of RFSA after he finishes Guns of August. It will be quite a while though.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

Return to “General discussions”