Clovis

the gamer's bill of right

Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:56 pm

In a provocative new move, Galactic Civilizations creator and Impulse digital distributor Stardock has announced a PC-specific 'gamer's bill of rights' -

The full list of the rights are as follows:

The Gamer’s Bill of Rights

1) Gamers shall have the right to return games that don’t work with their computers for a full refund.
2) Gamers shall have the right to demand that games be released in a finished state.
3) Gamers shall have the right to expect meaningful updates after a game’s release.
4) Gamers shall have the right to demand that download managers and updaters not force themselves to run or be forced to load in order to play a game.
5) Gamers shall have the right to expect that the minimum requirements for a game will mean that the game will play adequately on that computer.
6) Gamers shall have the right to expect that games won’t install hidden drivers or other potentially harmful software without their consent.
7) Gamers shall have the right to re-download the latest versions of the games they own at any time.
8) Gamers shall have the right to not be treated as potential criminals by developers or publishers.
9) Gamers shall have the right to demand that a single-player game not force them to be connected to the Internet every time they wish to play.
10) Gamers shall have the right that games which are installed to the hard drive shall not require a CD/DVD to remain in the drive to play
[LEFT]Disabled
[CENTER][LEFT]
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]SVF news: http://struggleformodding.wordpress.com/

[/LEFT]
[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:33 pm

This is the AGEOD republic constitution, right? :cwboy:
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." Mark Twain

lodilefty

Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:06 pm

It all seems like good business practice to me... :)

How does it get ratified? 2/3 of all gaming companies agree? :siffle: :nuts:
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

Adlertag

Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:30 pm

Clovis wrote:2) Gamers shall have the right to demand that games be released in a finished state.
3) Gamers shall have the right to expect meaningful updates after a game’s release.

These two points seems to be in opposition or what does the term "finished" mean ?
Perhaps, a "meaningful update" should have already been included into the game initial release version otherwise it could mean the game isn't finished. :niark:
(sorry to be a bit provocative also).
La mort est un mur, mourir est une brèche.

Chris Stavros
Corporal

Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:09 am

Considering that Gal Civ 2 and Sins have been patched, I somehow doubt they will live up to this, sounds like BS from Brad.

Rafiki

Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:40 am

Chris Stavros wrote:Considering that Gal Civ 2 and Sins have been patched, I somehow doubt they will live up to this, sounds like BS from Brad.

That's kinda harsh, just dismissing this as BS? :)

First of all, "released in a finished state" does not necessarily contradict "meaningful updates after a game’s release". To me, the first entails that the game doesn't crash and that it is play-balanced and completed to the point of being enjoyable. The second can entail the addition of new scenarios, a strategy guide.

Secondly, in proclaiming this Gamer’s Bill of Rights, I see a list of goals that he means that developers should strive for, not a bragging list over his own accomplishments, though I'm not surprised that there is an overlap between what he thinks developers should do and what he himself does as a developer
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

Adlertag

Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:36 am

Rafiki wrote:First of all, "released in a finished state" does not necessarily contradict "meaningful updates after a game’s release". To me, the first entails that the game doesn't crash and that it is play-balanced and completed to the point of being enjoyable. The second can entail the addition of new scenarios, a strategy guide.

I follow you but the problem is that the term "finished" is relative, depending of the company judgment which may vary from one company to another.

I think of the emblematic situation of Space Empire V, yet a potentially very good game but released in a shameful unfinished state or Empire in Arms when also just released...
La mort est un mur, mourir est une brèche.

Franciscus

Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:28 pm

I have great respect and admiration for Brad Wardell (Stardock chief); he certainly strives to follow the dictums of this bill of rights. Apart from our dear AGEOD, Stardock's support for GalCiv II (a great game, BTW, right of the box), and even Brad's own involvement with the community is the best I have ever seen.

Return to “General discussions”