George McClellan
Captain
Location: " If you can make it here, you can make it anywhere!"

How come all of Gray's posts have been deleted?

Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:33 pm

:confused: I can't read the priceless info...

PS: Can this be a sticky if a mod "answers" it?
George McClellan is locked in Cincinati until Lincoln admits he's a baboon.Image

Gray_Lensman

Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:11 pm

deleted

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:10 pm

What a shame. For all our spats Gray, and some of them were real humdingers, I always believed your contribution was vital to the success of ACW. :)

Mind you.....they were your posts and consequently your call.

Franciscus

Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:14 am

Well, I am sure that Gray's decision was well thought, specially regarding he is a Coordinator and surely can appreciate better than us the future consequences of his actions to this forum and Ageod.

Of course, as far as I am concerned, Gray can do whatever he wants with his posts.

(PS: Have I ever told you guys that this is all about GAMES ? :) )

TheDoctorKing

Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:46 am

Grey, are you resigning as coordinator? Say it ain't so! :confused:
Stewart King

"There is no substitute for victory"

Depends on how you define victory.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Gray_Lensman

Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:58 am

deleted

richfed

Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:18 pm

Franciscus wrote:Well, I am sure that Gray's decision was well thought, specially regarding he is a Coordinator and surely can appreciate better than us the future consequences of his actions to this forum and Ageod.

Of course, as far as I am concerned, Gray can do whatever he wants with his posts.

I tend to agree ... pretty sorry state of affairs.
[color="DarkRed"][SIZE="2"][font="Book Antiqua"]"We've caught them napping!"[/font][/size][/color]

Taillebois
General of the Army

Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:56 am

A pity.

Wargames seem to breed high emotions.

I actually gave up wargaming in 1970 when the club I went to just seemed to be full of old men having heated arguments about what was or what wasn't realistic etc. The old men were probably about 30 but seemed pretty old to me then.

It's also why I'm not interested in PBEM or multiplayer. If I don't like what a computer does I can thump it or re-load. I think the level of wargames now is terrific and I get a lot of pleasure even though so often I lose a battle and "Hey, I had three times as many men as the enemy and I lose. WTF". Reload.

gchristie
Brigadier General

Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:44 pm

My hope is that the post disappearances are merely an admin glitch and that Gray is off on another fun tour of CW sites and will return tanned, rested and ready...with photos galore, patience renewed and good will towards all.

Unless, of course, you fail to post that saved game... ;)
"Now, back to Rome for a quick wedding - and some slow executions!"- Miles Gloriosus

Narwhal

Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:15 pm

gchristie wrote:My hope is that the post disappearances are merely an admin glitch and that Gray is off on another fun tour of CW sites and will return tanned, rested and ready...with photos galore, patience renewed and good will towards all.

Unless, of course, you fail to post that saved game... ;)

I think Gray answered, and then erased even his answer.

Or maybe I am just getting a little crazy.

Citizen X
AGEod Veteran

Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:25 pm

Franciscus wrote:Well, I am sure that Gray's decision was well thought, specially regarding he is a Coordinator and surely can appreciate better than us the future consequences of his actions to this forum and Ageod.

GAMES ???? WTF? :blink:

Pocus

Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:57 am

I have no clue why all his posts are deleted. I don't think Michael deleted them on purpose, even if he was infuriated against someone, but I'm trying to get in touch with him in any case.

It can very well be that we have to restore the forum with a backup, as Gray_Lensman messages are very precious to us & the community.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Nikel

Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:28 am

Pocus wrote:I have no clue why all his posts are deleted. I don't think Michael deleted them on purpose, even if he was infuriated against someone

He said it in this thread...

gchristie
Brigadier General

Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:51 pm

Is this the thread you were refering to, Nikel?

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?p=210713#post210713

In which he said:

"I will continue to strive to voluntarily help "official" AGEod behind the scenes contributing here and there to installers for instance and timely database bug fixes when and where I might find the opportunity and need exists, BUT, I've recently reduced my post count from well over 6700 posts to somewhere around 3500 posts. Most of the posts permanently removed were informative posts that I no longer wished to be available to the entire forum since several unappreciative trolling individuals like yourself would also have access to that same information.

My sincere apologies to the rest of the innocent forumites for whom I'll still try to give direct specific individual answers to their queries if stated in constructive ways... BUT after 4 years of constant badgering by trolls and little action by "official" AGEod to publicly support their volunteers even after new forum rules were supposedly instituted, I was left with no other choice to get the point across."

Looks like my initial, hopeful post was off the mark...
"Now, back to Rome for a quick wedding - and some slow executions!"- Miles Gloriosus

Nikel

Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:48 pm

He said in this very thread that had deleted his posts.

OneArmedMexican
General

Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:13 am

gchristie wrote:Is this the thread you were refering to, Nikel?

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?p=210713#post210713

In which he said:

"Most of the posts permanently removed were informative posts that I no longer wished to be available to the entire forum since several unappreciative trolling individuals like yourself would also have access to that same information.

My sincere apologies to the rest of the innocent forumites for whom I'll still try to give direct specific individual answers to their queries if stated in constructive ways... BUT after 4 years of constant badgering by trolls and little action by "official" AGEod to publicly support their volunteers even after new forum rules were supposedly instituted, I was left with no other choice to get the point across."

Looks like my initial, hopeful post was off the mark...

It really is sad, over the past half year or so a lot of people seem to have had run-ins with Gray. Sometimes these are misunderstandings, sometimes people get heated over nothing. I was a party to two of these unfriendly discussions and carry part of the blame. On the other hand, present-day Gray might be a bit too fast in calling people trolls or spammers. :(

What happened to the friendly and helpful Gray that I came to appreciate when I first joined these forums? :confused:

Narwhal wrote:I think Gray answered, and then erased even his answer.

Or maybe I am just getting a little crazy.

Please stop the post-deleting, it makes threads unreadable. Moreover, it's a bit petty. Also, I don't think it achieves your goal: how many trolls actually take the time to read informative posts? The very definition of a troll is someone who just visits a forum to leave a trail of messy rage. All you do is punish AGEOD fans. That is the nature of any form of collective punishment, it usually hurts innocents most. :(

MarkShot

Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:37 am

AGEOD, of course, regrets any inconvenience to forum members that swiss cheese threads may present. We are looking into recovering the body of knowledge which were contained there in. Rafiki, wizard of all things tech, is on the case. Thanks for your indulgence and understanding.

TheDoctorKing

Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:34 am

I think the nature of a forum is that it is a broadcast. Someone who has changed his/her mind about participating in the forum can refrain from posting in the future but posts once made are out there and shouldn't be recalled. Even if the forum software technically permits a poster to delete his posts I think that ethically it is problematic. I hope that Gray reconsiders and restores his posts, allowing everyone access to the full record of what has been said here.
Stewart King

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:29 am

TheDoctorKing wrote: posts once made are out there and shouldn't be recalled. Even if the forum software technically permits a poster to delete his posts I think that ethically it is problematic.

I want to be the master of what I write. I don't stay on forums where I can't edit my posts when I want.
It's up to you to copy and save (in a Word or txt file) what you feel important; that's what I do.
MarkShot wrote:We are looking into recovering the body of knowledge which were contained there in.

That could be ethically problematic if Gray does not agree, but:
Copyright Notice
By posting material (such as text, graphics and database files) to these forums, you irrevocably grant AGEOD full use of the materials in any and all ways that AGEOD deems suitable.

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=15487
A post is a 'material', or just the file attached in?

caranorn

Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:36 am

TheDoctorKing wrote:I think the nature of a forum is that it is a broadcast. Someone who has changed his/her mind about participating in the forum can refrain from posting in the future but posts once made are out there and shouldn't be recalled. Even if the forum software technically permits a poster to delete his posts I think that ethically it is problematic. I hope that Gray reconsiders and restores his posts, allowing everyone access to the full record of what has been said here.

Maybe a feature could be added at some point to limit deleting to within a day or two of posting, likewise editing (though a slightly longer period of time). Both features are useful to remove double posts, eroneous information etc. But Gray's example here shows it can lead to problems for the forum...

Of course forums moderators could always overide such settings if an entire discussion has to be hidden, if a user wants to update an old post with useful information, to delete buried spam etc.
Marc aka Caran...

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:53 am

caranorn wrote:Gray's example here shows it can lead to problems for the forum...

But maybe Gray wouldn't had write all this if he couldn't edit as he want...
Let us edit as we want, and the posts will be the better they can with the less modo work.

Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:13 am

I think it's important to recover the posts that have been deleted as this contributes to the learning of new players. But it's also vital preserve the posts that are still preserved.

Regards!
[color="Navy"][font="Georgia"]"Mi grandeza no reside en no haber caído nunca, sino en haberme levantado siempre". Napoleón Bonaparte.[/font][/color]

[color="Blue"]Same Land. Different Dreams. - Photobook[/color]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rafiki

Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:24 am

The work on what do with this and the implications thereof has only just started.

I ask you to have some patience with us, seeing that this is a unique situation that none of us have had to deal with before and that the sheer number of posts involved is quite daunting. I hope that we'll see some developments by next week, though I can't promise it.
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

Narwhal

Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:40 am

ERISS wrote:But maybe Gray wouldn't had write all this if he couldn't edit as he want...
Let us edit as we want, and the posts will be the better they can with the less modo work.

I agree with this position. I believe Gray has the (moral at least) right to erase his own posts, and I believe we are all freer if we know we can erase them.

Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:03 am

No problem, Rafiki. Anyway, THANKS to all the AGEOD team. I'm sure that you will solve the problem. ;)

Greetings!! :thumbsup:
[color="Navy"][font="Georgia"]"Mi grandeza no reside en no haber caído nunca, sino en haberme levantado siempre". Napoleón Bonaparte.[/font][/color]

[color="Blue"]Same Land. Different Dreams. - Photobook[/color]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

gchristie
Brigadier General

Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:49 pm

Rafiki,

Best of luck in discerning posts which are truly informative and build game player collective knowledge.

Gray has made a huge contribution to the game, and to this forum, but the road to the final 1.16 patch seemed to take its toll on him. During that time he became more acerbic and short tempered, even with those posing uninformed, innocent and/or often legitimate questions.

It would be a shame for him to be remembered for his periodic outbursts rather than for the enormous number of hours he volunteered doing mind numbingly tedious work to improve the game and trying to honor the many requests we players have made over time. It must have felt like an increasingly thankless task.

[SIZE="5"][SIZE="6"]So here's to you Gray. Please accept my many thanks.[/size][/size] :thumbsup:

TheDoctorKing

Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:24 pm

gchristie wrote:rafiki,

best of luck in discerning posts which are truly informative and build game player collective knowledge.

Gray has made a huge contribution to the game, and to this forum, but the road to the final 1.16 patch seemed to take its toll on him. During that time he became more acerbic and short tempered, even with those posing uninformed, innocent and/or often legitimate questions.

It would be a shame for him to be remembered for his periodic outbursts rather than for the enormous number of hours he volunteered doing mind numbingly tedious work to improve the game and trying to honor the many requests we players have made over time. It must have felt like an increasingly thankless task.

[size="5"][size="6"]so here's to you gray. Please accept my many thanks and good will towards you and yours[/size][/size] :thumbsup:

+1 :)
Stewart King

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MarkShot

Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:35 pm

Well, with the exception of the very public deletion of this vast reservoir of game knowledge and the efforts to recover it, this matter for AGEOD is kind of an internal or private matter.

There is nothing more which can be said about that. But I can say that Mike's contribution to the success of the games and AGEOD is legendary. We very sincerely appreciate all of his countless hours invested.

AGEOD's and my greatest personal hope is that when the end of this chapter is written, it will read, "and they all lived happily ever after". Beyond that we cannot really comment on an internal matter.

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:37 pm

Passionate and some crudity?
Maybe welcome for ACW gamers that I/we have some different dialect :)
But overall I feel not a bad person wish you luck. And thanks for the work.

Hobbes

Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:52 pm

Maybe Gray doesn't realise how much people appreciate the work that he has done over the years. Even though I stopped playing AACW shortly after he started to improve it I have kept my eye on what he has done and it made me think that I would like to try it again with the changes he has made.

If things are good people tend not to post that much. If there is something somebody doesn't like in an awful game they may not bother to post - just give up on it, but if there is something they are not 100% about in a game that they think is 99% perfect they may post a negative comment. Well I've certainly done that in various games - I do try and post positive comments as well now - although it can be easy to forget to do that.

Cheers, Chris

Return to “General discussions”