gchristie
Brigadier General

Anybody playing Scourge of War: Gettysburg?

Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:48 pm

In another thread Franciscus wrote:

"Scourge of War: Gettysburg: Just out, an incredible game, a must have."

So, are folks playing this and must I have this? I have Take Command Manassas and liked it, but the artillery modeling drove me nuts. Does this game handle artillery better, ie. it has some impact beyond canister range?

Haven't found much online in the way of reviews, though Brett Schulte recommends it. http://www.stumbleupon.com/stumbler/bschulte1978/

Regards.
"Now, back to Rome for a quick wedding - and some slow executions!"- Miles Gloriosus

Gray_Lensman

Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:02 pm

deleted

Gray_Lensman

Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:02 pm

deleted

Franciscus

Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:25 pm

gchristie wrote:In another thread Franciscus wrote:

"Scourge of War: Gettysburg: Just out, an incredible game, a must have."

So, are folks playing this and must I have this? I have Take Command Manassas and liked it, but the artillery modeling drove me nuts. Does this game handle artillery better, ie. it has some impact beyond canister range?

Haven't found much online in the way of reviews, though Brett Schulte recommends it. http://www.stumbleupon.com/stumbler/bschulte1978/

Regards.

Please do yourself a favor and try the demo (BTW, it is really the game, afterwards, you just need an activation code to activate the full game).
I must confess I have not played it much (yet :D ), but at least as regards to arty, it is definitely better modeled (maybe overpowered...)
There will be definitely extensive modding capabilities (one of the menu options is a link to a list of mods to simply activate/deactivate them), but not just yet.

Regards

gchristie
Brigadier General

Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:27 pm

Just got the demo and will try it tonight.

Glad to know that I wasn't the only one struggling with the micromanagement aspect of the game. Found I was a capable division commander, but a horrible corps commander. But that was sometimes the case in the real ACW, eh?
"Now, back to Rome for a quick wedding - and some slow executions!"- Miles Gloriosus

Franciscus

Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:10 pm

gchristie wrote:Just got the demo and will try it tonight.

Glad to know that I wasn't the only one struggling with the micromanagement aspect of the game. Found I was a capable division commander, but a horrible corps commander. But that was sometimes the case in the real ACW, eh?

Yea, absolutely, army and/or corps commander was hard in TC2M. Too soon to know how it plays in Getysburg, yet.

(BTW, What I liked most in TC2M was playing the brigade/divisional scenarios or open play. Gettysburg has lots of them and what seems to be a powerful sandbox mode, too)

Rafiki

Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:47 pm

[color="Blue"]Thread title updated to better describe thread :) [/color]
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

PascalB
Lieutenant

Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:47 am

I think SoW is better than TC2M for his artillery and graphical improvements. This game is really amazing for history lovers and the battlefield is perfectly made, for an enjoying journey over this dead's field.

I have only one deception... Where're the hats for the Iron Brigade??? :confused:

The game is trully a success but it's my point of view.

Mickey3D

Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:55 am

PascalB wrote:I have only one deception... Where're the hats for the Iron Brigade??? :confused:

In SoW Meredith's brigade wears the black hats !

Comtedemeighan
Brigadier General

Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:56 am

I played the demo and wasn't too impressed. Also the game has a crappy DRM scheme which means I am not going to buy it no matter how good it is.
Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem - By the Sword We Seek Peace, But Peace Only Under Liberty
-Massachusetts state motto-

"The army is the true nobility of our country."
-Napoleon III-

Gray_Lensman

Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:03 pm

deleted

Generalisimo

Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:41 pm

Gray_Lensman wrote:Hi Comte... I'm curious... Describe the DRM scheme (i.e. details) if you don't mind.

I supose he is reffering to the activation scheme... taken from the game's web:
Example: You have the demo installed at home and on your laptop. You activate your home computer and play there. But you want to play it while on a trip. So you deactivate your home computer and then activate your laptop. Now the laptop is activated and you can play the full game there. When you return home, just deactivate your laptop and then activate your home computer again. You can do this as many times as you want.

Note: You must be connected to the internet to deactivate or activate.

I do not like that neither... so, better luck next time... :non:
"History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon."
Napoleon Bonaparte

BOA-AAR: ¡Abajo el imperialismo Británico! (en español)

AGEOD Facebook Fanpage - news & screenshots about the upcoming games!

Gray_Lensman

Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:24 pm

deleted

Bertram

Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:21 pm

You only have to activate once - you have to deactivate/activate when swapping computers. So you can put it on your laptop (though I dont think it plays very good on your laptop, unless you have a huge screen) and play away from the internet after activating. Only if you want to switch to playing on an other computer you need to have internet acces.

I think it is not very intrusive, though I like it better when you can have up to 3 activitions at once (like Battlefrort uses for example). That way you can have the game on your computer and your laptop, and don't have to contact the distributor the first time when you have a harddisk fail (though you do have to contact them the second time - never happened to me yet).

Alternatives seems to be an activation number (like Ageod uses for their games) or the need to log on each time you want to run the game. I tend to loose the activation numbers, so I like the other activation scheme better (provided you get a few activations at once).

Generalisimo

Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:39 pm

Bertram wrote:You only have to activate once - you have to deactivate/activate when swapping computers. So you can put it on your laptop (though I dont think it plays very good on your laptop, unless you have a huge screen) and play away from the internet after activating. Only if you want to switch to playing on an other computer you need to have internet acces.

I think it is not very intrusive, though I like it better when you can have up to 3 activitions at once (like Battlefrort uses for example). That way you can have the game on your computer and your laptop, and don't have to contact the distributor the first time when you have a harddisk fail (though you do have to contact them the second time - never happened to me yet).

Alternatives seems to be an activation number (like Ageod uses for their games) or the need to log on each time you want to run the game. I tend to loose the activation numbers, so I like the other activation scheme better (provided you get a few activations at once).

Your opinion is totally valid... but mine is different, if I bought the game, I want to play the game where I want when I want.
If tomorrow I have to travel quickly because of my job, and if by chance I forgot to "update" the activation to the notebook instead of my desktop, I cannot play the game anymore until I return home. :blink:

Sorry, but I preffer the activation number/serial key approach. ;)

I haven't bought AC2 and neither SH5 because of their DRM system (a lot more intrusive in these casesI must say) and I will not buy this one neither.
Napoleon Bonaparte

Gray_Lensman

Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:39 pm

deleted

Generalisimo

Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:44 pm

Gray_Lensman wrote:I already understood that aspect. Still, once I purchase a game for my own use, I shouldn't have to be bothered with whether or not I have activated/deactivated it from the machine of choice that I might want to run it from. I won't be purchasing any games that utilize this type of customer usage impeding crap.

I used to purchase dozens of games a year until these silly DRM schemes started making their appearance. Now, I might purchase a small handful of games and they sure won't be these types of games with these types of DRM schemes. Nothing is more frustrating than to try to start up a game that you have legitimately purchased only to find out the ignorant DRM scheme won't let you play because you haven't jumped thru all the hoops.

Totally agree. :thumbsup:

Gray_Lensman wrote:The ironic thing is the non-legitimate hackers will find a way around it and play all they want while the legitimate owners are left holding the bag.

Something that I have found lurking on the internet and I have posted in another thread a few weeks ago...
Napoleon Bonaparte

Gray_Lensman

Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:33 pm

deleted

Comtedemeighan
Brigadier General

Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:19 am

Well I agree with Fernando and Mike 100% :thumbsup: I just don't like the DRM scheme that this game comes with. I like the Ageod method much better I can download the purchased game from Ageod and put my serial number in a notepad file and burn it to a dvd rom or cd rom and play and have a copy forever. Sorry to derail the thread but those are my thoughts on the current state of pc gaming.
Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem - By the Sword We Seek Peace, But Peace Only Under Liberty

-Massachusetts state motto-

"The army is the true nobility of our country."

-Napoleon III-

Anguille

Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:47 am

I was interested but won't buy because of this DRM mode...too bad.

Clovis

Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:27 pm

What I like in AGEOD serial ? When a pirate comes here to get clues about game errors :D

The ScW DRM is just about the fence for me. I bought in spite of the DRM, but only because the subject has thrilled me and because the DRM isn't forcing you to connect to internet each time you play. I frankly don't believe this sort of DRM to stop piracy ( and the AGEOD way is maybe better for that)
[LEFT]Disabled
[CENTER][LEFT]
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]SVF news: http://struggleformodding.wordpress.com/

[/LEFT]
[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

Gray_Lensman

Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:55 pm

deleted

Anguille

Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:09 pm

2 things (and i am not supporting pirates in any ways):

1. Are we really sure that each you accuse here had indeed pirated the game?

2. Would those who have pirated the game have bought it otherwise?

Gray_Lensman

Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:21 pm

deleted

Pocus

Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:39 pm

Anguille wrote:2 things (and i am not supporting pirates in any ways):

1. Are we really sure that each you accuse here had indeed pirated the game?

2. Would those who have pirated the game have bought it otherwise?

Some errors messages are fake and can only be generated because the serial has been identified has one being spread on P2P networks. There is no other possibility to get one such message.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

gchristie
Brigadier General

Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:07 pm

Comtedemeighan wrote:Sorry to derail the thread but those are my thoughts on the current state of pc gaming.

Not at all. Some of us are unfamiliar with DRM schemes, so this discussion is quite helpful. :thumbsup: If it's part of the game, it's fair game.

Is this DRM business the way of the future and something we will have to learn to live with?

Anguille

Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:34 pm

Gray_Lensman wrote:Who knows? But at least AGEod's serial number system does not overly burden legitimate owners as most of these other DRM schemes do.

I am very happy with AGEod's serial number...it is without a doubt one of my favorite way to protect software.

Anguille

Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:36 pm

Pocus wrote:Some errors messages are fake and can only be generated because the serial has been identified has one being spread on P2P networks. There is no other possibility to get one such message.

Sounds like a nice feature...

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:06 pm

gchristie wrote:<snip>
Is this DRM business the way of the future and something we will have to learn to live with?

I suspect so. In much the same way as strategy gamers are having to come to terms with titles being released in a less than acceptable condition. Just dip into any of the forums to witness the number of players that are indicating that they will no longer purchase new titles until they have been on release for many months. That's not going to do a power of good for the economic survival of software houses.

Add into the mix the death of a manuals which also seems to me so terribly short sighted for those types of game where an UNDERSTANDING of the rules and mechanics is of paramount importance and I reckon its no coincidence that strategy titles might be becoming more and more 'niche'.

OK so folks can always print out a manual but in truth how many players, particularly of the casual sort, want the hassle of printing out perhaps 100 or more pages of rules?

As a grognard I'll live with it all, DRM included, to play the titles that attract me but I doubt if many casual players will do the same. :(

Carnium

Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:33 pm

Anguille wrote:Sounds like a nice feature...

It is. And it is funny when a "pirate" buys the game and later claims that his errors (related to bad crack only version) were because he had outdated display drivers. It made my day :wacko:

Return to “General discussions”