morvael
Sergeant

Am I insane?

Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:18 am

• AGEod's American Civil War, spent 39.99 Euro, played 20 hours
  • Napoleon's Campaigns, spent 39.99 Euro, played 2 hours
  • BoA2: Wars in America, spent 59.79 Dollars, played 4 minutes
  • WW1 : La Grande Guerre 14-18, spent 39.99 Euro, not played yet.

Cost per hour of fun? Way too high!

:)

Don't worry this happens also with any other computer or board games I buy, I have money but I don't have free time to play :( Quite opposite to my youth, when I had a lot of free time but no money (and no AGEOD then)...

Are there similar poor souls here on this forum?

Carnium

Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:21 am

morvael wrote:

Yes they are my Slavic brother ;) In fact I am one of them too.
Right now I haven't played a single AGEOD game for two months. There is always something that prevents me from playing when my working day is finally over. Actually I am spending FAR more time on the forum than actually playing the games :bonk:

berto
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:39 am

Carnium wrote:Actually I am spending FAR more time on the forum than actually playing the games :bonk:

Not to mention spending FAR more time beta testing than actually playing. :bonk:
What this town needs is a good Renaissance band!
Early MusiChicago - Early Music in Chicago and Beyond - http://earlymusichicago.org
PIKT - Global-View, Site-at-a-Time System and Network Administration - http://pikt.org
AGElint - an AGE debugging toolkit - http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2978333
Your Mileage May Vary -- Always!

arsan

Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:43 am

morvael wrote:

Don't worry this happens also with any other computer or board games I buy, I have money but I don't have free time to play :( Quite opposite to my youth, when I had a lot of free time but no money (and no AGEOD then)...

Yep, you are insane!... and me too! :wacko:
I'm in exactly the same boat than you guys!
Honestly, i can't remember the last game i actually "finished" :bonk: I may be worried if a game offers little content but in fact i never play and finish all scenarios or campaigns of a game, not even half!
And as if i had not enough AGEOD and Matrix games on my long "to play" list, in the last two weeks i have bought the second expansion of Galciv2 (of course i never finished the first expansion :D ) and the Complete edition of Civilization IV (thousands of playing hours in itself that if i had time! :( )
Maybe if i managed to break a leg or two and had to stay home for a couple of months... :D

Besides, I completely agree on the problems with time and money.
When you have time to play, you don't have time to buy. When you have money to spend you hardly have time to play what to buy.
Life's a bitch! :bonk:
And don't get me started with the long list of books to read, films to see, records to listen to... :p leure:

Cheers

PS: reading ans posting on this damn.. forum is robbing myself of quite some playing time too! :grr:
Luckily it robs me of some boring work time too :D

morvael
Sergeant

Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:48 am

Glad to know all over the world people are suffering the same pains as I am :)

arsan wrote:PS: reading ans posting on this damn.. forum is robbing myself of quite some playing time too! :grr:
Luckily it robs me of some boring work time too :D

Dear AGEOD to make your games really played by the people who buy them I think you have to develop a web-browser version :)

berto
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:56 am

arsan wrote:Luckily it robs me of some boring work time too :D

:D

Seriously, though, I have wasted thousands of dollars over my lifetime purchasing war games I very little if at all played. Older and wiser now, I am trying to be more discriminating and restrained in my purchases but with still limited success. :(
What this town needs is a good Renaissance band!

Early MusiChicago - Early Music in Chicago and Beyond - http://earlymusichicago.org

PIKT - Global-View, Site-at-a-Time System and Network Administration - http://pikt.org

AGElint - an AGE debugging toolkit - http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2978333

Your Mileage May Vary -- Always!

Franciscus

Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:36 am

Yes, good to see so many mental patie... I mean similar "players" like me :wacko:
I have bought all AGEOD games until now. I have really managed to play several dozens of hours of AACW, and even finished (yes, finished ! :thumbsup :) ONE grand campaign... The past 1 or 2 months...not one hour...
All other games ?? maybe half a dozen hours total... :mdr:
(but I confess that I bought them in part to help keep them with a job and improving AACW ;) )

AND, I also have in the past months bought Gary Grigsby's WBTS and Forge of Freedom (not really played them seriously...), The 3rd extension of GalCiv2 (almost finished one large map with the 2nd extension...), Sins of a Solar Empire (good potential; should have a campaign; played a couple of hours...), Fantasy Wars (funny little game, now on the backburner...), and Mount and Blade (great fun. But have not managed to scrape a minute of play time in the last couple of weeks...). Probably others, that I do not remember...
TC2M and NWN (1 and 2) have also a permanent place in my hard-drive but have not played it in the past 6 or so months... :(

I know that spending hard-earned cash in all this games is not at all rational. It could almost be called a vice; it is relatively harmless, though...
In the past I had similar "behaviours" with DVD movies and CDs, but I have managed to beat those vices (in part due to space constraints and after one or two stern lectures by my wife... :D )

So, any one ready to form a group of PA (Players Anonimous ?) :wacko: :bonk:

Pocus

Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:51 pm

That's not really different from the addiction some of our Ladies suffers with shopping. :)

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Generalisimo

Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:07 pm

Pocus wrote:That's not really different from the addiction some of our Ladies suffers with shopping. :)

Completelly agree... my wife buys clothes that she will wear once per year... with luck! :w00t: ... and I will not start discussing about women shoes... :wacko:
So, we have this "addiction" to compensate... :mdr:
"History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon."
Napoleon Bonaparte

BOA-AAR: ¡Abajo el imperialismo Británico! (en español)

AGEOD Facebook Fanpage - news & screenshots about the upcoming games!

morvael
Sergeant

Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:26 pm

Pocus, maybe you have just to make a 700MB install file that will create some random crap on HDD plus add some nice icons and readme file about such and such new super campaign game set in the age of XYZ and you will get a lot of 39.99 euro from each such addict as me. And look, how much time will you save on not having to develop a full game! Why bother if it never gets played anyway?

:bonk:

arsan

Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:40 pm

morvael wrote:Pocus, maybe you have just to make a 700MB install file that will create some random crap on HDD plus add some nice icons and readme file about such and such new super campaign game set in the age of XYZ and you will get a lot of 39.99 euro from each such addict as me. And look, how much time will you save on not having to develop a full game! Why bother if it never gets played anyway?

Hey, we are just a little insane... not completely insane! :D

Franciscus

Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:10 pm

morvael wrote:Pocus, maybe you have just to make a 700MB install file that will create some random crap on HDD plus add some nice icons and readme file about such and such new super campaign game set in the age of XYZ and you will get a lot of 39.99 euro from each such addict as me. And look, how much time will you save on not having to develop a full game! Why bother if it never gets played anyway?

But wait, that sounds familiar :D . I am pretty sure I have already bought a couple of games similar to what you describe, in my almost 25 years as a game-addict...

Sol Invictus

Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:31 pm

Yes, you are insane, as are we all. :wacko: It is a disease and a severe personality disfunction from which we all struggle on a daily basis. Our only solace is to take comfort from the company of like individuals and to seek their support. :blink:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

Aphrodite Mae

cute shoes...?!

Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:01 pm

Generalisimo wrote: ... and I will not start discussing about women shoes...

:w00t: Oh, please do!
Aphrodite Mae

jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:15 pm

morvael wrote:

Add me to the list too!
Most of time I spend on PC games goes after modding and testing! :bonk:

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:14 pm

++ Me too!! :p apy:

Adlertag

Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:55 pm

If we buy so much games and not really have the time to play with, the real addiction is more to own the games like a collector than playing with them...a bit like shoes ;) or cars collection (for the wealthiest).
La mort est un mur, mourir est une brèche.

jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:21 pm

Aphrodite Mae wrote: :w00t: Oh, please do!

As with shoes,.....You buy more, but use few: most confortable ones!
That same is true with games! :wacko:

[color="Black"][SIZE="3"]EMO, ERGO SUM![/size][/color] :mdr:

Rafiki

Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:46 pm

Carnium wrote:Actually I am spending FAR more time on the forum than actually playing the games :bonk:

I can't recall the last time I read something someone else wrote that applied so much to myself :D
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

dooya

Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:56 pm

Rafiki wrote:
Carnium wrote: Actually I am spending FAR more time on the forum than actually playing the games :bonk:
I can't recall the last time I read something someone else wrote that applied so much to myself :D
I can't recall the last time I read something someone else wrote on something someone else wrote before that applied so much to myself :niark:
No quote - No bullshit!

Aphrodite Mae

(Insert cool Latin phrase here)

Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:22 pm

dooya wrote:
Rafiki wrote:

I can't recall the last time I read something someone else wrote on something someone else wrote before that applied so much to myself :niark:

The minimization of total curvature variation leads to an Euler Spiral solution, a curve whose curvature varies linearly with arclength... or maybe in this case, degree of mental deviation.

But I'm just a girl, and maybe I'm wrong.

Now! ...about those shoes...!
Aphrodite Mae

lodilefty

Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:28 pm

Aphrodite Mae wrote:The minimization of total curvature variation leads to an Euler Spiral solution, a curve whose curvature varies linearly with arclength... or maybe in this case, degree of mental deviation.

Um, HUH? :blink:
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:09 pm

Aphrodite Mae wrote:The minimization of total curvature variation leads to an Euler Spiral solution, a curve whose curvature varies linearly with arclength........

http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=773826.774161

But I'm just a girl, and maybe I'm wrong.

First the Hellfire, now advanced mathematic: I doubt you are just a girl!
May be Wonderwoman!? :neener:

jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:19 pm

dooya wrote:I can't recall the last time I read something someone else wrote on something someone else wrote before that applied so much to myself :niark:

Indeed the new frontier in game insanity is not buying games but PRE-ORDERING THEM!

You all know!
The great expectations for a game you pre-ordered......
The disapointement any time scheduled release date is postponed!
Then , you get seller notification your game was sent: ... unfortunately Christmas is near, the delivery servises are overstressed with work and your game will lay for weeks in some depot!
Ah..... At hand you have it in your hands: it 's time to unpack it and forget the game on some bookcase. :mdr:

Generalisimo

Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:34 pm

I think you forgot something there...
jastaV wrote:Indeed the new frontier in game insanity is not buying games but PRE-ORDERING THEM!

You all know!
The great expectations for a game you pre-ordered......
The disapointement any time scheduled release date is postponed!
Then , you get seller notification your game was sent: ... unfortunately Christmas is near, the delivery servises are overstressed with work and your game will lay for weeks in some depot!
Ah..... At hand you have it in your hands: it 's time to unpack it and forget the game on some bookcase... [color="Red"]and preorder the next game!![/color] :mdr:

"History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon."
Napoleon Bonaparte

BOA-AAR: ¡Abajo el imperialismo Británico! (en español)

AGEOD Facebook Fanpage - news & screenshots about the upcoming games!

jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:03 pm

Generalisimo wrote:I think you forgot something there...

Indeed I'm not in the need: I have always a couple of games in pre-order! :wacko:

......one of two is quite easy to predict! :cool:

Adlertag

Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:03 pm

Aphrodite Mae wrote:The minimization of total curvature variation leads to an Euler Spiral solution, a curve whose curvature varies linearly with arclength... or maybe in this case, degree of mental deviation.

In concrete terms, if a vehicle follows the curve at constant speed it will keep a constant rate of angular acceleration or how to use Euler spiral to build a good roller-coaster. :bonk:
La mort est un mur, mourir est une brèche.

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:40 pm

You are far more than just a girl AM!!

jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:43 pm

Aphrodite Mae wrote:Now! ...about those shoes...!

Okay, Aphrodite Mae, here is the situation!
You are at a sale, on the way to buy that pair of shoes so long you sought......
Unfortunately there just one last pair, and a girl grabbed it right under your nose! :eek: :niark:

Please, tell us that will happen then.....

JastaV

P.S.: you have not hellfires at hand this time! :mdr:

Aphrodite Mae

Shoe acquisition equation

Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:51 pm

jastaV wrote:Okay, Aphrodite Mae, here is the situation!
You are at a sale, on the way to buy that pair of shoes so long you sought......
Unfortunately there just one last pair, and a girl grabbed it right under your nose! :eek: :niark:

Please, tell us that will happen then....

Why, I do declare, Mr. JastaV! What an interesting problem!

Let D = Dixiecrat
Let $ = Dixiecrat's money
Let c = coolness of shoes
Let p = price discount
Let j = days since Dixiecrat had to eat Lime jello with "stuff" in it

Let w = shoe-snatching wench
Let M = Aphrodite Mae
Let m = impact (mass*velocity) of stiletto-heeled shoes worn by M
Let a = cluelessness of shoe-snatching wench

Finally,
Let s = the cute shoes in question.

This obviously involves calculus, but I can't create integrals or derivatives with this font. So let's try to make a sweet little equation algebraically, ok? The range has an upper limit of $/(p/c), and a lower limit of j; but the situation is complicated by an undefined term:

w + m = Ouch, where "Ouch" is undefined.

After several manipulations that I won't go into, the equation simplifies to become:

(w + a) + m = M + s
Ouch + a = M + s
and thus,

M + s = D - $

Please notice that the shoe-snatching wench has been factored out of the equation. For obvious reasons, this equation cannot be simplified any further without becoming absurd. And we certainly wouldn't want that, would we!
Aphrodite Mae

Return to “General discussions”