Montbrun
Major

French Division Names

Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:36 pm

Is there a way to rename the French Division names? Historically, French Divisions were numbered consecutively, ie, the 1st Division may be in the I Corps, while the 2nd Division may be in the VI Corps....

Pocus

Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:28 pm

Sorry no, you can rename stacks of units but not the units themselves.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Montbrun
Major

Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:28 pm

Can they be changed in the files?

Pocus

Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:46 am

I suppose yes, you can do that and see what happens, open the HST file (in your save folder) and replace all occurences of a particular name with another.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

gekkoguy82
Major

Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:21 pm

Minor tangent: Could the division naming system used here be applied to CWII? Most of what I recall reading for the Civil War shows that division numbers were treated like they are here in WoN (1st division 1st corps, 1st division 2nd corps, etc) instead of consecutive numbering...But maybe I'm wrong.

Back to WoN. I'm quite enjoying it!

Captain_Orso

Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:22 pm

I believe you are looking at are French divisions, which are given to the player through the scenario. Their names are written into the scenario, and not generated through some automatisms of the game. If you buy new division units they will get a names like "1er Divsion d'Infanterie", "2e Divsion d'Infanterie", etc. If you build an old-style division, by giving a leader division command first and then adding brigades, the division will be named after the leader.

There are a couple of CW2 scenarios, in which brigades are named 1st Brigade, 2nd Brigade, etc. and their divisions are named 1st Division, 2nd Division, etc. if they start the scenario inside a corps with each corps having one 1st Division one 2nd Division etc., but these are names written into the scenario.

The problem with this is if you reorganize your divisions by moving brigades from one division to another, and corps by moving divisions from one to another, then the numbers don't match up at all any more. I've wound up with a corps with 2 3rd Divisions and the 3rd Division had 3 1st Brigades Image

Return to “Wars of Napoleon”