Kev_uk
Colonel

The leader mini-bios

Fri May 13, 2016 1:13 pm

I have a copy of David Chandlers 'Dictionary of the Napoleonic Wars', which is invaluable for a game like this to get the background on all the important Marshalls, Battles, History etc. I notice that in game the small bios when you mouse over the leader portraits are missing. If you need someone to fill these in, I can give some time to write up a small bit of background info for that to work, using Chandlers book? I do not mind doing this.

RebelYell
General of the Army

Fri May 13, 2016 2:11 pm

Kev_uk wrote:I have a copy of David Chandlers 'Dictionary of the Napoleonic Wars', which is invaluable for a game like this to get the background on all the important Marshalls, Battles, History etc. I notice that in game the small bios when you mouse over the leader portraits are missing. If you need someone to fill these in, I can give some time to write up a small bit of background info for that to work, using Chandlers book? I do not mind doing this.

I would suggest a common format like date of birth, family/ethnic background, education, possible current title and the year promoted as an general officer.
Then cpntinue to those that have something interesting to add.

Kev_uk
Colonel

Fri May 13, 2016 2:34 pm

Good idea. I mean it would make the game look a bit more polished too.

RebelYell
General of the Army

Fri May 13, 2016 2:38 pm

Kev_uk wrote:Good idea. I mean it would make the game look a bit more polished too.

Yes, there is no point in adding historical date of death or other events that happened later than the start date of the game.

RebelYell
General of the Army

Fri May 13, 2016 3:14 pm

Something like this.

Louis-Nicolas Davoust "The Iron Marshal"

Maréchal de France (1804)

Born at Annoux (Yonne) 1770 to a noble family.
Educated at a military academy in Auxerre and École Militaire in Paris, graduated in 1788.

On the outbreak of the French Revolution embraced its principles but after promotion to general of brigade was removed from the active list because of his noble birth.
Napoleon promoted him to general de division, arranged his marriage to his sister Pauline's sister-in-law Aimée Leclerc and gave him a command of the consular guard 1801.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis-Nicolas_Davout

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marshal_of_the_Empire#First_promotion_.281804.29

Sruba
Private

Fri May 13, 2016 3:34 pm

It would be a nice addition. I remember how I got deep into history of my own commanders and times which scenario took place in AJE because of such biographicial notes.

Kev_uk
Colonel

Fri May 13, 2016 4:03 pm

Thats good Rebel Yell. Short, to the point, key moments in each of their careers. I do not mind spending a few hours each day typing this up? The Chandler book is (now) very expensive to buy but it is packed full of all the nationalities involved from 1789. Really good source of info.

RebelYell
General of the Army

Fri May 13, 2016 5:09 pm

Kev_uk wrote:Thats good Rebel Yell. Short, to the point, key moments in each of their careers. I do not mind spending a few hours each day typing this up? The Chandler book is (now) very expensive to buy but it is packed full of all the nationalities involved from 1789. Really good source of info.

Yes, you cant fit in much.
Even the example might have too much but Davoust is interesting and good so he should have something personal also.

Then someone like Lannes, son of a farmer and educated as a dyer, it is not a possibility to leave that fact out.

Kev_uk
Colonel

Sat May 14, 2016 9:42 pm

Lannes died during the second Austrian war, legs shot off from a cannonball I believe. That would have to go into a small bio as well I guess?

RebelYell
General of the Army

Sat May 14, 2016 10:05 pm

Kev_uk wrote:Lannes died during the second Austrian war, legs shot off from a cannonball I believe. That would have to go into a small bio as well I guess?

Not in my opinion, I dont understand why bios would have anything that happened after the game start date.
If people want full historical info they can google it, the game is a what if setting where events are not the same that happened historically.

Pocus

Mon May 16, 2016 9:19 am

I believe both view are valid, i.e stop bios when games starts or go through the entire life of the generals.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Kev_uk
Colonel

Tue May 17, 2016 4:33 pm

RebelYell, I left out all the information post 1805 and the Austrian, Prussian and second Austrian War (Where he died). Any suggestions (from anyone?):

[INDENT][INDENT]Lannes, Marshall Jean, duc de Montebello (1769-1809). Served as an apprentice dyer, but after the Revolution joined a local regiment in 1792. Serving with great distinction during the Italian Campaign, he receieved what were the first of his many wounds in 1793. Later, given the command of grenadiers in 1795, he was the first across the River Po and subsequently fought at Lodi in Italy. He was promoted to Brigade General after the capture of Mantua. During the Egyptian Campaign, he was involved with the capture of Alexandria, seized Rossetta and helped supress the Cairo uprsing. He was shot at Acre, and with the retreat back to Egypt again was shot in the leg at Aboukir. Only one of a few Generals, he left Egpyt with Napoloen and was involved with the coup d'etat against the Directory, and eventually became a Division General in 1800. Serving with distinction once again during the second Italian Campaign, in 1804 became a Marshall which also saw his dukedom granted. Being very close to Napoleon, he was the only man who permitted to address The Emperor with the familiar 'tu'. Not a political general, but having few equals on the field of battle garnerd his close relationship with Napoleon. [/INDENT][/INDENT]

If this is ok, it is quite short, and am thinking I could mention his death here, then who could put this into the game? Perhaps as a mod?

RebelYell
General of the Army

Tue May 17, 2016 10:31 pm

Kev_uk wrote:RebelYell, I left out all the information post 1805 and the Austrian, Prussian and second Austrian War (Where he died). Any suggestions (from anyone?):

In my opinion make it even shorter but I would not mind even longer ones.
Many might not read them but history buffs would love them.

Kev_uk
Colonel

Tue May 17, 2016 11:34 pm

I can write these up around this length, but am unsure if I should put their fates in. BTW, how can I get this into the game? Who could put it into the script files as an open mod (i.e really anyone can contribute)? I have no idea... :confused:

Return to “Wars of Napoleon”