Byrd
Lieutenant

Marching to the Sound of the Guns

Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:13 pm

Hey guys

I was wondering; I (WE) attacked a position with an Army and three Corps and got beaten. Now the Army and two Corps made it back to the starting region, one got stuck on French soil, but under enemy Military Control. Now the enemy Army, a stack of 1500 was fully entrenched. I order the Corps back to my own lines. The Army the other two Corps are recovering in the adjacent region, inactive, except one Corps. I already fear that they will get dragged into combat by the Corps that got stuck (Stuck meaning it takes 13-15 days to get out of the region during which they will, due to insufficient MC, revert to Assault Posture or be attacked) but I can't set them to "Evade Combat" because they're inactive. I can't move them either, because the position is vital. Turn is being resolved, and the recovering Army and its two Corps get dragged into Combat and lose a combined 130.000 men, nearly wiped out.

My question would be, would Delayed Committment prohibit my full frontline joining any assault of any corps in the vicinity? Would it be hard to make a small mod, making "Evade Combat" and "Don't March to the Sound of the Guns" two seperate buttons? I mean Corps and Armies didn't just willy-nilly abandon their position whenever they heard the thunder of the guns.

Just wondering.

Byrd
Lieutenant

Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:06 pm

answered. Thanks =)

Back to topic.

Jim-NC

Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:04 am

Each destroyed element costs a certain amount in VP and NM. You probably lost a lot of elements in the battle (even though it was a smaller force), thus costing you the -4NM.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Byrd
Lieutenant

Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:10 am

Jim-NC wrote:Each destroyed element costs a certain amount in VP and NM. You probably lost a lot of elements in the battle (even though it was a smaller force), thus costing you the -4NM.

Alright. Thanks for the clarification.

One question remains: Is there a way to disable Marching to the Sound of the Guns for adjacent Corps and Armies? Do you by any chance know how Delayed Committment affects it on certain levels? I would think, because of the narrow placement of multiple corps and armies, another button to enable/disable the feature would really come in handy. THat way, the player could decide which Corps or Army he wants to hold the line and which ones should engage.

Shri

Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:48 am

Delayed Commitment is more akin to the 17th Century, Frederickian times wars.
In WW1, the WE were prepared to lose 100000 men but not 1 mile of territory, unfortunately abandoning territory is too easy for WE in game.

It should cost a lot of NM. In the age of Telegraph, Telephone, Balloons etc, the commitment delay is nearly '0', after all our measurement is days not hours, so we have turns of 15 days, the maximum time to understand a battle has occured was 1 day (even for Russians) so, '0' delay is the best setting. many PBEM players do not like it as it robs them of the 'Flexibility' that you spoke of, simple thing is this is the most HISTORICAL of settings and this game is supposed to be played as per that is my understanding.
Rascals, would you live forever? - Frederick the Great.

Shri

Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:53 am

@Byrd-
Sorry for being a bit harsh, did not mean to attack, my point is-
In WW1, plans were made and artillery concentration and with numerical superiority of 3:1 attacks were made. Big Attacks were not very common, they were made twice a year or so at most.

Byrd
Lieutenant

Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:28 am

You're not being harsh. Didn't take it that way whatsoever. Thanks for the Answer.

Byrd
Lieutenant

Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:40 am

Still, apart from that, a spare button to disable MtSotG would be neat. I'm sure that there were, at some point, orders for a Corps of Army not to participate. Or maybe it just wasn't in shape to do so. If a unit is inactive, it can't be excluded for whatever reason. I think it should be different.

Shri

Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:50 pm

You can LOCK the corps, usually will not participate. RIGHT CLICK and lock it in place. I guess it should work, has worked for me at times, when i used to do it with the old MTSG rule .

Byrd
Lieutenant

Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:46 pm

Shri wrote:You can LOCK the corps, usually will not participate. RIGHT CLICK and lock it in place. I guess it should work, has worked for me at times, when i used to do it with the old MTSG rule .

I remember the Lock feature. Great news man, thank you, going to try it out right away!

Byrd
Lieutenant

Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:56 pm

Unfortunately, locking doesn't seem to work. Tried it, 4/5 times, the Corps still got drawn into combat.

Return to “Help improve EAW”