animalshadow
Private

Special latin characters visualization

Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:45 am

Hello,

Special latin characters like German "ß" or French "À" or "é" are not visualized correctly, I've tried to add german language to my OS(Win 7 x64), but that didn't help.

So, for example "Grande Armée" will be shown as "Grande Armцe".

If game uses some custom character encoding, shouldn't it be installed with game?

Or this can be fixed other way?

Thank you.

Pocus

Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:19 am

The game only uses Verdana font which has all these latin characters. Have you checked you have this font, it is installed with all Windows, perhaps it is gone from your.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

animalshadow
Private

Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:34 am

Pocus wrote:The game only uses Verdana font which has all these latin characters. Have you checked you have this font, it is installed with all Windows, perhaps it is gone from your.

I'll check it tonight and let you know, thanks for the answer. :)

animalshadow
Private

Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:49 pm

I've checked for Verdana font and I have it.
But I've managed to fix this issue by changing System Locale to English(United States).
It's strange that only in TEAW I had this like issue.

Anyway, thanks for the help :)

LoupVert
Sergeant

Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:04 pm

No issue here, same OS than yours animalshadow, could it be your Steam's language setting?

animalshadow
Private

Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:52 am

Hello again!

I've found where the issue is:
In Windows you can choose language for Non-Unicode programs.
If you have Russian(Russia) set as this language, all umlauts like "ä" will be displayed as Cyrillic "ц" and that goes for every letter which have identical code in ASCII table.

Not a big deal(at least for me), but would be nice to see in English version - English names and etc.

For example: Native name(German)- Baden-Württemberg as English- Baden-Wurttemberg.
If you have chosen Russian language for Non-Unicode programs, you will see - Baden-Wьrttemberg.

Thank you and looking forward for your reply. :)

LoupVert
Sergeant

Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:36 am

Good to know animalshadow!

From your experience, what setting should one choose to see local names displayed correctly (ie. with accentuated characters)?

animalshadow
Private

Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:57 am

LoupVert wrote:Good to know animalshadow!

From your experience, what setting should one choose to see local names displayed correctly (ie. with accentuated characters)?

I've choose language for Non-Unicode programs - English(United States), basically all Unicode languages will work.

Problem is that if you have some software in Russian, instead of Russian you'll see something like this: Àäé.
It's in cause of same IDs for characters for umlauts and cyrillic symbols in ASCII tables.
If TEAW used only English characters there wouldn't be any issue for users which use Non-Unicode localisation for OS or for other programs(as I do).

Return to “Help improve EAW”