ETF
Captain

3 turns in my mP game and poof the load option for our saved game is gone AGAIN!

Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:27 pm

Well I have run into the same old problem with AGEOD MP games. Where oh where do the save games go re. the load screen??? I have all the files in the proper directories there stored ......have played 3 turns now with PBEM and POOF they no longer show in the LOAD selection?? Happens all the time in windows 8. Can someone explain to me the work around again. The files are all present in the right directories......Arrgh

Pocus

Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:14 am

The files are located in the place indicated at the bottom of the Options Window, Main Menu. Only if you edited a setting they can be virtualized somewhere else.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

elxaime
General

Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:38 pm

I also have Windows 8 and it saves things in strange places. Here is my suggestion. Check C:/users and open the file labeled with your computer/your personal name (e.g. not the ones labeled hedev or public). When you open that up, you should see a file named MyGames. Open that and you should see To End All Wars. The saves should be in there. Just make a shortcut on your desktop to the saves file in that folder. Make sure to save any PBEM turns into there (the single player turns should save automatically). The game should access that file automatically. Once you get this set up it should go smoothly.

ETF
Captain

Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:34 pm

elxaime wrote:I also have Windows 8 and it saves things in strange places. Here is my suggestion. Check C:/users and open the file labeled with your computer/your personal name (e.g. not the ones labeled hedev or public). When you open that up, you should see a file named MyGames. Open that and you should see To End All Wars. The saves should be in there. Just make a shortcut on your desktop to the saves file in that folder. Make sure to save any PBEM turns into there (the single player turns should save automatically). The game should access that file automatically. Once you get this set up it should go smoothly.

Yes thank you I have done that precisely. I have the file folder with all the saves as a shortcut. I have saved it and it has all the correct files. It is turn 4 now. The problem is when I load the game there is no saved games to be found. This also happened in ACWII. Any other suggestions?

ETF
Captain

Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:35 pm

Pocus wrote:The files are located in the place indicated at the bottom of the Options Window, Main Menu. Only if you edited a setting they can be virtualized somewhere else.

What setting would that be or possibly be? I know exactly where the files are going. I see them plain as day. The problem is they are not displayed as a saved game anymore.

Pocus

Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:36 pm

This might be necessary to reach the Slitherine helpdesk on that, I'm not too sure. I have removed completely the UAC monitoring on my end, as I just hate Windows intruding on what I do (and I don't dwell in dark places). Perhaps if you have UAC on, the files are somehow manipulated by the O/S. try reaching support@slitherine.co.uk with me (pocus@ageod.net) in copy.
An alternate solution is to revert to the pre-CW2 scheme, i.e saving the games into the game directory. if you want to do that, delete the file named userpath.ini which is at the same level as EAW.EXE. When the game runs, it will create a Saves directory in EAW. You can verify that by checking the Options Window again.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Return to “EAW Technical support / Aide technique”