Husaria
Sergeant

Forming Armies

Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:14 am

I really wish I could figure out how to form an Army stack.

I'm playing the campaign game as the CP, and I'm into mid 1916. I've got many dozen of new Corp stacks that I've form, however I can't form a new Army stack.

I've read the manual and the many posts here on the forum, however I just can't seem to create a new army.

Any deep secrets I'm missing?

Durk

Re: Forming Armies

Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:03 am

It is not a deep secret, you need to position a Commander in Chief, as the Central Powers you have three, two German and one Austrian, within command range of your three star (potential army commanders) generals. Promotion to army command only comes if the potential commander is in range of a superior commander.

Husaria
Sergeant

Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:52 pm

Am I limited to the number of armies I can have?

Perhaps that is why I can't seem to form any.

Does the general I want to promote to army commander have to be alone inn his own stack, or can I promote a general who is already a corp commander to army commander?

Do the target general have to be in the same region as the theature commander? How far away can he be?

I hate to be a broken record here on the forums, it's just that I can't seem to accomplish a few basic but key tasks, and it's becoming very frustrating.

Thanks in advance.

imperium3
Conscript

Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:27 am

You are not limited in the number of armies you can have, or at least if you are then the limit is quite high.

To create an army stack, you need:

- A 3 star general.
- CinC within range (a couple of provinces usually though it seems a bit unpredictable). Default CinCs for the CP are Falkenhayn and Hindenburg for the Germans, Hotzendorf for the Austrians, and Enver Pasha for the Turks.
- Your 3 star can be commanding troops, however he must NOT be merged into a corps stack.

Have you figured out how to promote 2 star to 3 star generals? (when I started this was far from obvious). After a 2 star has been involved in enough victories, they will become promotable (this is mentioned in the turn log in among the messages on gaining and losing seniority). Promotable generals are marked by their name flashing on their unit card. In order to promote them, they need to be the most senior general in their stack, then you just click promote. No need to be near the CinC or anything like that. You will often be warned that X general will be offended and you'll pay a penalty - in general ignore that unless the cost involves paying NM.

Husaria
Sergeant

Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:36 pm

Thanks Imperium, your response seems clear and answers my questions. I'll try next time I play!

Yes, this works and I finally have been able to for armies. Thank you both Durk and Imperium3!

RK1855
Conscript

Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:33 pm

I have just posted with a question regarding forming armies as this is driving me crazy - the pdf manual quite clearly says that you need a 2 or 3 star general whereas you state it must be 3 star, interesting. I will check this out.

Husaria
Sergeant

Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:01 pm

It must be a three-star general to form an army.

He must be within the command radius of your general headquarters for that side. This is the shaded area you see when you click on your GHQ and hold the shift key. It is usually four or five areas in distance.

RK1855
Conscript

Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:25 pm

Thanks Hussaria - ok now I am clear on the 2 or 3 star general bit I have managed to create a new army.

Now I I have sorted creating an army I find I cannot create a GHQ. I am playing as western entente and the British already have have one GHQ under Kitchener. I have quite a large British contingent in Egypt but no armies or GHQ but I do have a couple of 3 star generals there, however, I just cannot create a GHQ - are there any reasons I cannot do this?

Husaria
Sergeant

Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:33 pm

I'm pretty sure you are allowed only one GHQ per fraction.

For example when I play the Central Powers (which I usually always do) they receive one German, one Austro-Hungarian and one Turkish GHQ. It would be nice to have a German GHQ on each the Western and Eastern front, however there is only one German GHQ provided.

If the scenario gives me a German GHQ on the Eastern front I'll move him (by rail) to the Western front during a lull in East front fighting so I can form some armies on the Western front, then I'll rail him back to Eastern front.

i'll shuttle the AH GHQ between the Eastern front and the Serbian front similarly.

Durk

Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:47 pm

RK1855 wrote:Thanks Hussaria - ok now I am clear on the 2 or 3 star general bit I have managed to create a new army.

Now I I have sorted creating an army I find I cannot create a GHQ. I am playing as western entente and the British already have have one GHQ under Kitchener. I have quite a large British contingent in Egypt but no armies or GHQ but I do have a couple of 3 star generals there, however, I just cannot create a GHQ - are there any reasons I cannot do this?

If I am making a major effort in the Middle East with the British, I send the GHQ to the Middle East, create my armies and send it back to France.
However, if you do not need the command coordination for march and battle, just form them to avoid command penalties. This typically suffices.

Return to “To End All Wars”