Christophe.Barot

PON2-scripting Turning points - Alvensleben convention- correcting extreme situation

Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:32 pm

[ATTACH]25757[/ATTACH]
[color="#40E0D0"]General von Alvensleben[/color]

Alvensleben convention : named after the Prussian general who signed it, A mastermove of Bismarck, adding the useful to the pleasant, or the necessary to the useful, that is :
- crushing the Poles (Prussia had her lot, not much happier than "Russian" ones, and reluctant to be assimilated) and direct interest NOT to let them gain more freedom outside
- AND gaining Russia friendly neutrality - as absolutely necessary (Olmütz proved it) to unite Germany and upset European balance - later to watch Prussia back while crushing France

Bismarck CONSTANT policy was driven by realism and conviction that, by mere size of territory and population, NO DECISIVE VICTORY could be won against Russia !
therefore no war should be fought against her, and Russia was not to be antagonized - therefore gaining her as ally to have a free hand and later watching her more closely was the ONLY policy

this was one of two diplomatic moves to neutralize lateral power to "settle accounts with Austria in private"
The other one was the Biarritz meeting, where Bismarck won France neutrality (or rather (too) slow reaction) by making to the devious, greedy and gullible Napoleon III promises ...commiting only for the later, who believed them. ;) When, against all expectations, Prussia won a blitz war at Sadowa and concluded a victorious peace before the "powers" could react, it was too late to be in situation to DEMAND "satisfactions", and Napoleon requests met with the "Iron Chancellor" either a wall, or worse a trap uncovering his expansionnist schemes and isolating France further. :niark:

conversely, when Polish insurrection happened, French, British and even Austrian (who exerted on "their" Poles a way more lenient rule) vocal sympathies for the Polish cause irritated the Czar beyond belief. :mad: By contrast, by allowing a "droit de suite", and cross crushing insurgents, Bismarck both protected Prussia integrity from her own allogenous minorities, and won Czar goodwill durably.

so Alvensleben is an opportunity to show a further inflexion of Russian relationships to other powers AND to correct the gameplay of a situation which looks a bit extreme to me.

Indeed, by Polish and Lithuanian insurrection events, the whole of Poland (and kalisz, which is situated in Polish and not German area, but not a bad thing in the end) and Lithuania not only revolt, but see usually, by adding events, between Poles (or Lithuanians) and rebels, Russian loyalty (and german one in kalisz) fall to ZERO for the remainder of the game, which is excessive by all means. some areas like Brest have a consistent Russian minority and should to some extent have Russian rule supporters, even if a minority and even if Poland should rightly be a frequent source of revolts (even semi permanent)

worse even, the absence of Russian loyalty creates an automatic annexation of some areas if (and believe me it happened to me when I played germany) Prussia rushes to crush rebels - I'll show you the map -

In an attemps to all in the same move, protect Prussia from revolters, help the Russian friend, and (most of all) train Prussian generals with easy targets to improve their skills before the Austrian and French challenge (nothing shocking in terms of realism for me, Russian trained their officers in Caucasus, french in Algeria, Britain in their vast colonial Empire), a swift Prussia not only takes over economic facilities (usual, but I guess now nationalizations/expropriations correct this in the long run) but unwillingly annexes slices of Poland and Lithuania before new taken provinces are given back to Czar. (after this is too good to give back, and Prussia couldn't without a script). This is deeply ahistorical and illogical - sure germany won objectives against rebels and not Russia, but this looks more like a "rush to carve poland and a fait accompli" than a freindly gesture for Russia. in real world, Czar would have demanded, and gotten, the return to Russia of prussian gains, or Prussia would have faced an angry, or even durably hostile Russia. so I correct this possible situation (I never lose an opportunity to train my generals :turc :)

[ATTACH]25760[/ATTACH]

so, here it is :

SelectFaction = $RUS
SelectRegion = $Petersburg

SelectFaction = $RUS
SelectRegion = $Petersburg
StartEvent = evt_nam_RUS_Alvensleben1863|1|2|evt_txt_RUS_Alvensleben1863|Event-img_RUS_Alvensleben1863|$Petersburg|NULL

Conditions
EvalEvent = evt_nam_RUS_PolishUprising1863;=;1
MinDate = 1863/02/08
MaxDate = 1883/02/08

EvalRgnOwned = $Vilna;NOT

EvalRgnOwned = $Mazowsze;NOT
EvalIsAtPeaceWith = GER
Probability = 25

Actions
DescEvent = evt_desc_RUS_Alvensleben1863
ChgFacRelationships = GER;20
[color="#40E0D0"]//taking hostile - that is pro-Polish - powers attitudes into account[/color]

ChgFacRelationships = AUS;-10
ChgFacRelationships = GBR;-10
ChgFacRelationships = FRA;-10

SelectFaction = $GER
AI.SetDiploItemBias = RUS;*DipSupport*;200

SelectFaction = $GBR
AI.SetDiploItemBias = RUS;*War*;150;*CB*;50;*Military*;0;*Passage*;0

SelectFaction = $AUS
AI.SetDiploItemBias = RUS;*DipSupport*;50

SelectFaction = $RUS
AI.SetDiploItemBias = GBR;*War*;150;*CB*;50;*Military*;0;*Passage*;0;*DipSupport*;50
AI.SetDiploItemBias = FRA;*Military*;50;*Passage*;0;*DipSupport*;50
AI.SetDiploItemBias = GER;*DipSupport*;300
AI.SetDiploItemBias = AUS;*DipSupport*;50

SelectFaction = $FRA
AI.SetDiploItemBias = RUS;*DipSupport*;50

[color="#40E0D0"]//as event allows helpful german to take Russian provinces by helping crush rebellion and Kalisz is revolting but Prussian
//it is necessary to retrocede taken provinces and to reestablish SOME legitimacy, as usually drops to zero
// which is too extreme imho - even after 50 years, even for Brest Litovsk and other ethnic russian areas
//rationale is that, with Prussian help, insurrection is crushed, and it remains SOME loyalties there
//(at least the ethnic germans and russians)
[/color]
SelectFaction = $GER
SelectRegion = $Kalisz
ChangeRgnOwner = RUS

SelectFaction = $RUS
SelectRegion = $Mazowsze
ChangeRgnOwner = GER

SelectFaction = $RUS
SelectRegion = $Wielkopolska
ChangeRgnOwner = GER

SelectFaction = $RUS
SelectRegion = $Modlin
ChangeRgnOwner = GER

SelectFaction = $RUS
SelectRegion = $Ostrowa
ChangeRgnOwner = GER

SelectFaction = $RUS
SelectRegion = $Slonim
ChangeRgnOwner = GER

SelectFaction = $RUS
SelectRegion = $Kowel
ChangeRgnOwner = GER

SelectFaction = $RUS
SelectRegion = $Pripyat
ChangeRgnOwner = GER

SelectFaction = $RUS
SelectRegion = $Galizien
ChangeRgnOwner = GER

SelectFaction = $RUS
SelectRegion = $Radom
ChangeRgnOwner = GER

SelectFaction = $RUS
SelectRegion = $Vilna
ChangeRgnOwner = GER

SelectFaction = $RUS
SelectRegion = $Litva
ChangeRgnOwner = GER

[color="#40E0D0"]//and now setting loyalties to the minimum to be able to DEMAND the legitimate provinces[/color]

SelectFaction = $GER
SelectRegion = $Kalisz
SetLoyaltyFac = 25

[ATTACH]25758[/ATTACH]
[color="#40E0D0"]"L'ordre régne à Varsovie"[/color]

SelectFaction = $RUS
SelectRegion = $Mazowsze
SetLoyaltyFac = 25

SelectFaction = $RUS
SelectRegion = $Wielkopolska
SetLoyaltyFac = 25

SelectFaction = $RUS
SelectRegion = $Modlin
SetLoyaltyFac = 25

SelectFaction = $RUS
SelectRegion = $Ostrowa
SetLoyaltyFac = 25

SelectFaction = $RUS
SelectRegion = $Slonim
SetLoyaltyFac = 25

SelectFaction = $RUS
SelectRegion = $Kowel
SetLoyaltyFac = 25

SelectFaction = $RUS
SelectRegion = $Pripyat
SetLoyaltyFac = 25

SelectFaction = $RUS
SelectRegion = $Galizien
SetLoyaltyFac = 25

SelectFaction = $RUS
SelectRegion = $Radom
SetLoyaltyFac = 25

SelectFaction = $RUS
SelectRegion = $Vilna
SetLoyaltyFac = 25

SelectFaction = $RUS
SelectRegion = $Litva
SetLoyaltyFac = 25

EndEvent

[ATTACH]25759[/ATTACH]

Polish insurgents
Attachments
annexation after Polish revolt.jpg
polish insurrectionnists.jpeg
ordre regne a varsovie.jpeg
480px-Gustav_von_Alvensleben_2.jpg
[color="#FF0000"]- (ordnance) Your Lordship, sorry to awake you, but The french are at our door !

- Alarm, alarm, how did you let this happen and not awake me ! repel them, counterattack at once !

- err, your Lordship, ahem... French are our allies, Marshal de St Arnaud is expected to attend to a conference with you !

- ahem, well, .... very well ..let them in !

(charge of the light brigade movie)
[/color]

Return to “Help improve PON”