richfed

CW2 1.06 RC3 -- Persistent Crash

Fri May 22, 2015 10:57 pm

Clean install. Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit. Full Campaign. Playing as CSA. Currently in April 1863 [I think :) ]

First of all, I would like to say that the game - this very persistent crash aside - is playing very nicely.

OK - this exact error has occurred sporadically throughout the course of the game. It occurs during turn processing and results in a CTD. Upon restarting game, I find that all my moves and orders are saved, I simply have to press the Next Turn button and the turn properly resolves. Except ... for this time! I have restarted he game about 4-5 times and it has not fully been able to get through the processing. Each time it crashes at different points in the turn. Seems it may be battle-related.

FYI: I AM running the game as Administrator.
Attachments
Logs.zip
(38.92 KiB) Downloaded 163 times
1861 April Campaign.zip
(1.51 MiB) Downloaded 159 times
persistant error.jpg
[color="DarkRed"][SIZE="2"][font="Book Antiqua"]"We've caught them napping!"[/font][/size][/color]

Captain_Orso

Sat May 23, 2015 5:10 am

To completely eliminate the possibility of that conflict from arising I would suggest not installing the game into "Program Files (86)", but creating its own folder. Since doing this I haven't had any such issues in many, many months.

richfed

Sat May 23, 2015 4:32 pm

Thanks ... next patch, I may do just that! So, after posting this thread, I ran the turn yet again. processed normally. Just the thought of Pocus meddling around scared the livn' daylights out of Athena!

Captain_Orso

Sat May 23, 2015 6:00 pm

LOL I thought it was the other way around ;)

Reading through your post again and taking more time to think about it, I can't think of anything that the game engine might try to update under the installation directory other than the 'LastGamePlayed' parameter in General.opt, and this only happens when you end the game. So if a process started by the game engine is trying to update something during turn execution, it sounds very strange to me.

I would strongly recommend doing an anti-virus search over your entire system.

BTW when you say you are "running the game as Administrator", how are you doing that?

richfed

Sat May 23, 2015 10:02 pm

Captain_Orso wrote:LOL I thought it was the other way around ;)

Reading through your post again and taking more time to think about it, I can't think of anything that the game engine might try to update under the installation directory other than the 'LastGamePlayed' parameter in General.opt, and this only happens when you end the game. So if a process started by the game engine is trying to update something during turn execution, it sounds very strange to me.

Yeah ... the files are actually in the "Games" directory.

I would strongly recommend doing an anti-virus search over your entire system.

Actually, I just replaced the hard drive and it is a new installation of Windows, fully updated. I have Norton Security and also use anti-Malwarebytes. Routinely scanned. All clear.

BTW when you say you are "running the game as Administrator", how are you doing that?

Right click on the.exe file, choose the compatibility tab, check the box "Run as Administrator".
[color="DarkRed"][SIZE="2"][font="Book Antiqua"]"We've caught them napping!"[/font][/size][/color]

Captain_Orso

Sun May 24, 2015 12:44 am

richfed wrote:Yeah ... the files are actually in the "Games" directory.

:blink: Wait, what?!? Which files are in the "Games" directory? and what it the full path? EG "C:\Directory_1\Folder_B\Games".

richfed wrote:Actually, I just replaced the hard drive and it is a new installation of Windows, fully updated. I have Norton Security and also use anti-Malwarebytes. Routinely scanned. All clear.

Okay, that would reduce the chances of a virus greatly, but not entirely. Also, if the virus had infected an executable on a disk which you migrated from your old installation to the new one, then having installed an brand new disk makes not difference at all.

richfed wrote:Right click on the.exe file, choose the compatibility tab, check the box "Run as Administrator".

Okay, that's fine.

richfed

Sun May 24, 2015 1:04 am

All the game files are installed - by default - in C:\Games\Civil War II. All my Ageod games are in that Games directory. Saves, Logs, etc. are in ...\Documents\My Games. I wonder if Windows 8.1 does that? As far as any virus is concerned, I am quite certain my system is clean.

Next turn in my game, btw, game crashed once - in a large battle, as seems to be the case - then played normally after restarting the game and has now played into August with no further crashes. Large scale battles have been fought all across northern Virginia, including a Gettysburg type affair with Lee against Meade - only in Alexandria. Good game. AI behaving very well. Peninsula offensive by the Union in 1862 under McClellan. Naval landing near New Orleans. Skirmishes and now a sizeable force out in Texas. Big time force trying for Nashville now. Can't sleep through this one! Far better than the official 1.05.

Captain_Orso

Sun May 24, 2015 3:46 am

Using the "C:\Games\" directory is something that AGEod does. If it was created by installing Civil War II then there should be no issue with using that directory.

The "..\Documents\My Games" directory is also something exclusive to AGEod, and since it is under your "Documents" directory there should be no issue with permissions when writing to it.

As I noted before, the only thing --that I know of anyway-- that the game updates in the installation directory is the General.opt file, and that only when you end the game, and since that is located in "C:\Games\Civil War II\CW2\Settings", which is created when you install, and you are running CW2.exe with Administrator rights, logically the game should never have an issue with writing anything within the installation.

I think Pocus will have to look into this as it's beyond my scope of understanding.

richfed

Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:51 pm

No word from Ageod on this. Still getting the same error with the official 1.06 patch. Seems like the game will never be a stable entity. Getting frustrated.

DrPostman

Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:07 am

I don't know what it could be. I had crashes occasionally with RC3, but not since upgrading
to the current patch. Hope they can help you figure it out. Until then save frequently!
"Ludus non nisi sanguineus"

Le Ricain

Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:50 am

I have just completed an 1861 Campaign game with vers 1.06 and there were absolutely no problems.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'Nous voilà, Lafayette'

Colonel C.E. Stanton, aide to A.E.F. commander John 'Black Jack' Pershing, upon the landing of the first US troops in France 1917

Pocus

Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:59 am

nice, very nice!

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

tripax
AGEod Veteran

Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:31 pm

Two bugs in 1.06 I have, maybe they've been reported elsewhere. Since I play in debug mode, I get a number of error messages on startup (something about periods when commas are expected in regions). Also, it seems like the general leading a stack flashes like he is promotable at times when he clearly isn't.

Pocus

Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:00 pm

The first one is an overzealous warning, it can happen on slow hard disk but is not impeding gameplay. The second is not a bug, but a feature not explained enough. The general flashing is the CiC of the theater.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Return to “Help improve CW2”