Paule3000
Corporal

Comparing stats...

Wed May 06, 2015 4:52 pm

...really is a pain in the ***. Right now it is cumbersome, confusing and just too inconvenient to click on one element's symbol, having to memorize the numbers, then having to click on another element's symbol to compare stats in your mind. There are just too many stats for something like this. Short time memory is just not able to memorize all the crucial stats for something like this.

The game really, really needs an easy to use option to compare the stats of units. Do it like it's implemented in the Wargame series, where you can pin a unit's stats window on screen to open another one next to it. It's easy to use, easy to implement and the game would be sooo much more accessible.
-- When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

csiemers
Sergeant

Thu May 07, 2015 1:53 am

Interesting, as I've never looked at a unit's stats when playing. I guess I figure a commander in the 1860s wouldn't have that info so why should I?

Paule3000
Corporal

Thu May 07, 2015 5:42 am

A general probably would have had some extensive military training and experience prior to commanding a nation's entire miltary forces.

DrPostman

Thu May 07, 2015 5:49 am

A huge amount of research went into the leaders in this game. They are what mostly
drives the game, after all. It's about employing them correctly that one can win.
"Ludus non nisi sanguineus"

Captain_Orso

Thu May 07, 2015 9:06 am

Hi Paule3000, exactly which stats are you looking to compare?

In general you can look at the model files and use WinMerge to compare them quite nicely, but that won't get you an elements current in-game stats which reflect XP and EL gain.

Paule3000
Corporal

Thu May 07, 2015 10:14 pm

I'd really like to be able to easily compare unit's actual in-game stats (the combat and mobility values, cohesion, hits, morale, XP etc.) as well as the corresponding base values in the build menu.

Captain_Orso wrote:Hi Paule3000, exactly which stats are you looking to compare?

In general you can look at the model files and use WinMerge to compare them quite nicely, but that won't get you an elements current in-game stats which reflect XP and EL gain.

Thanks for the tip. It's still quite an effort, but it's at least a start.

Cardinal Ape
General of the Army

Thu May 07, 2015 10:55 pm

Maybe two monitors with two instances of the game running?

Captain_Orso

Fri May 08, 2015 10:29 am

I believe one could put in an extreme amount of time trying to understand every parameter of every element on the map, but in the end, there are limited things one can do to influence them.

Probably the most important things to realize are big the differences between different element types in general; between line infantry and cavalry; between line infantry and militia. And even then understanding all the implications and complexities will be very difficult, because, for example, what the difference in TQ (Total Quality/Discipline) means in detail depends entirely on the context of each situation. Militia and Volunteers a have low TQ of 6, while line infantry can have 8 and upwards depending on their EL (Experience Level - Stars). If such an element is subject to a siege, the lower the average TQ of all units, the more likely the entire force will surrender. You can try to keep militia and volunteers out of a siege situation, but in the heat of the moment in it is not always possible to take every such detail into consideration. However if you know that militia/volunteers do poorly during a siege, you can plan to not have them try to defend a location which you expect to come under siege.

So in general, for example, understanding the difference between line infantry and militia is enough. Looking at every single element in a force and their actual parameters in-game however is a Sisyphean task which will not really bring the results you might expect and will leave you with many more questions than answers, because of all the chance variables possible. "Do you leave the brigade with a single militia an regiment and a conscript in your division which might become besieged, in the division, or send it off and weaken the entire force in doing so"? Knowing that the division comprised almost entirely of militia/volunteers will do poorly in a siege, without looking at each and every single element, will do you more service.

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri May 08, 2015 12:36 pm

As a caveat, if the militia under siege have a supply wagon then the chance of them going to a discipline check is only 5%. They would then have to fail the discipline check too.

http://www.ageod.net/aacwwiki/Manual:Siege_combat

I've had militia under siege lots of times and they have never surrendered.
I'm the 51st shade of gray. Eat, pray, Charge!

Captain_Orso

Fri May 08, 2015 12:59 pm

Actually, Supply Protection requires only that each element receives supply each turn. Having a supply unit is not actually necessary.

Anyway, siege is a hard lover. The only concession is knowing the besieger isn't getting any XP for bleeding you.

Paule3000
Corporal

Sun May 10, 2015 4:44 pm

Captain_Orso wrote:I believe one could put in an extreme amount of time trying to understand every parameter of every element on the map, but in the end, there are limited things one can do to influence them.

Just to be clear: It really is about understanding the broad differences between different units, as you said. I want to be able to quickly see which artillery piece is better on the defense etc.

The comparison of the model files with WinMerge is a good start, but it requires some effort for the player and it's not easily accessible for everyone.

I think an easy possibility to compare the combat and mobility values, especially in the build menu, would help a lot of players, especially new ones, who are simply overwhelmed by the number of different artillery pieces, for example. I got used to it by now, as probably have most of us, who are active on this forum and have spent lots of hours in game. But I am sure it would have helped me a lot at the start. And, as probably all of us know, the steep learning curve of the AGEOD titles is a major problem for new players and for those who consider picking them up and eventually refrain from it.

Captain_Orso

Sun May 10, 2015 5:41 pm

Paule3000 wrote:Just to be clear: It really is about understanding the broad differences between different units, as you said. I want to be able to quickly see which artillery piece is better on the defense etc.

The comparison of the model files with WinMerge is a good start, but it requires some effort for the player and it's not easily accessible for everyone.

Actually I find it much easier. Even if the game were to allow the player to view two different subunits at the same time, you would first have to find the two exact subunit types you wished to compare from all of the subunits on the map.

If you look at the subunits --elements: infantry, cavalry, artillery-- in the game, you will find that there are actually not that many different subunits at all. BTW, subunits are all defined in "..\CW2\GameData\Models". On top of that, all subunits use templates which represents about 95% of the characteristics of a subunit, and these templates are common, which means they are used for both Union and CS subunits.

For example, "81CSAInfantry .mdl". This subunit model has the alias "mdl_CSA_Inf1", which is used nearly everywhere in the game to address this type of subunit.

"mdl_CSA_Inf1" uses template "mdl_CMN_Inf1", which is a common template denoted by the "CMN" in the middle of the name. Look for this statement in the model file, "TemplateUID = $mdl_CMN_Inf1".

If you then search through all model files with that statement you will find that there are exactly 12 models with use this template in the entire game; 5 US, 4 CS, with the rest French, British and Mexican.

There are even fewer different artillery models and fewer yet cavalry.

Paule3000 wrote:I think an easy possibility to compare the combat and mobility values, especially in the build menu, would help a lot of players, especially new ones, who are simply overwhelmed by the number of different artillery pieces, for example. I got used to it by now, as probably have most of us, who are active on this forum and have spent lots of hours in game. But I am sure it would have helped me a lot at the start. And, as probably all of us know, the steep learning curve of the AGEOD titles is a major problem for new players and for those who consider picking them up and eventually refrain from it.

Cardinal Ape
General of the Army

Sun May 10, 2015 9:29 pm

Being able to have two unit panels open at the same time for comparison would be great. As Orso pointed out there is not a lot of difference in the CW2 units, but for a game like AJE with all its varied units of different nationalities it would be more useful. I find myself doing a whole bunch of comparison when I first start up a new game. It would be nice tool to have in the ageod engine.

Return to “Help improve CW2”