richfed

RGD Cards in 1.05a/ Other Issues

Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:52 pm

I have noticed that some of the cards disappear from play if you try to use them but they were unsuccessful in their purpose --- Sea Mines, Martial Law, Mescaleros are ones I noticed.

Other issues with this patch:

-- Union AI is very passive [normal aggression, AI more time, all behaviors, default detection & activation] ... Summer 1862 and no battles of any importance ... just skirmishes. Nothing going on.
-- The pulsating regions and are all out-of-whack; non-existent in some cases, over-bearing in others
-- Experienced on CTD Was through plotting my movements, etc. Had my cursor on a RGD card [I think it was Clearing] and suddenly an error popped up that the game could not continue and it crashed
-- Some Retreat issues .. small Union force moved in to Harpers Ferry from the N, and just sat there to be battered ... regions to their rear were clear.
-- Morale points are still off-center

I have no saves, sorry ... am going to do a clean re-installation and see how it goes
[color="DarkRed"][SIZE="2"][font="Book Antiqua"]"We've caught them napping!"[/font][/size][/color]

Cardinal Ape
General of the Army

Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:56 pm

richfed wrote:I have noticed that some of the cards disappear from play if you try to use them but they were unsuccessful in their purpose --- Sea Mines, Martial Law, Mescaleros are ones I noticed.

There was some discussion in another thread about that issue. I think Pocus hinted that the cards not being removed on failed attempts was a problem? So I think it may be intended that failed RGDs are removed.

Pocus

Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:54 am

Indeed, a failed RGD, for whatever reason must be removed. This is an exploit to spam each turn a failed RGD until it succeeds, this was not the intent and I'm not very happy versus myself of having overlooked that initially.

As for passive AI, I don't think there is something in the recent code that can alter its behavior, so if others can be watchful of this potential issue, I would appreciate.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

richfed

Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:51 pm

I have completely removed the game. Then I installed the version 1 Setup & patched - in-game - directly to version 1.05a. Also, added in the BRS add-on.

# 1 & 2 above are still present. AI is just horrible. Union seems to build, but does not move aggressively, except in the trans-Mississippi with raid-type attacks. Oh, and a small force attacks at Harper's Ferry ... and keeps attacking until they are no more. Now, finally, in August 1862, McClellan with a small force has struck near Marion, VA and cut the rail line. That is it! In well over a year. KY has joined the Union. Pulsating regions has not yet been addressed with a fix.

#3 - One CTD .. it was of the"unable to write" type. I had forgotten to set the game .exe to Run As Administrator. Seems OK now.

#4 - With all the discussion, I guess this is WAD --- but I really don't find it realistic for a force to enter a region like Harper's Ferry to be effectively abandoned and apparently to stay there at all costs.

#5 - Total National Morale indicator - minor, I know, is still off-center.

Not sure I like it, but I am happy to know that the issue with RGDs is WAD. Until the AI is jump-started with a good Kick in the Ass, there is really no point in playing; solitaire, nothing happens. I did bump up the detection setting, but it made no difference. AI is ON with More Time, All Behaviors, Normal Aggression, Historical Attrition, Battle Planner ON, Easy Supply ON, Naval- Standard Rule, NO Auto-Replacements ... everything else is Default.

richfed

Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:32 am

True to form, McClellan just sat there [Wytheville, VA], so I sent Jackson Corps, by rail, down to greet him. First appearance of the Battle Planner! in September 1862. A turn or two later, the game completely froze at Day 7 during processing. I could not exit the game. I got a CW2.dmp file - but it weighs in at 942MB, so I guess I'm not uploading it. I ended up having to do a hard boot to get my PC stabilized again. I will attach saves, but I just know it will process just fine. Never had that happen while playng an Ageod game.
Attachments
Logs.zip
(219.41 KiB) Downloaded 117 times
1861 April Campaign.zip
(1.63 MiB) Downloaded 139 times

DrPostman

Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:23 am

Pocus wrote:
As for passive AI, I don't think there is something in the recent code that can alter its behavior, so if others can be watchful of this potential issue, I would appreciate.

It's become quite an issue. A lot of players are reporting this now. I've
noticed it in the game I was playing before I updated. The South stopped
being aggressive.
"Ludus non nisi sanguineus"

Pocus

Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:54 pm

I believe I found the issue, time for another patch it seems.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

DrPostman

Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:24 pm

Pocus wrote:I believe I found the issue, time for another patch it seems.

:thumbsup:
"Ludus non nisi sanguineus"

Return to “Help improve CW2”