dinsdale
Sergeant

Issues With 1.06 RC3

Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:14 am

Is anyone playing the 1861 campaign? Has anyone run into issues? Just to confirm, I installed a clean version of 1.00 and applied the patch to the same directory.

I have come across the following:

1) Cannot form Corps. Played as union up to mid 1862 and still can't form corps
2) Many event titles and text, including emancipation missing
3) State militia units in the east are fixed, but do not have the fixed marker on their unit counter
4) Assaults on towns ending in victory are being reported as stalemate. I have had this happen a number of times, I win, take no losses and take the town, but the battle is reported as a draw
5) UI weirdness; the orders buttons don't stick like 1.05 as you move from unit to unit. Each time you select a new unit the orders submenu closes
6) Shenandoa Valley farms have disappeared
7) No option to invade Kentucky. It's sitting neutral in mid 62

As a general positive note, I found the confederate AI to be aggressive and opportunistic. I weakened WV and suddenly had a moderate Confed army threaten Pittsburgh. In the west it almost took St Louis as I was concentrating further south.

On a less positive note, playing with historic attrition and complex supply seems to confuse the AI. It alternates between making insane marches and hoarding armies back in depots. While rebuilding the army is great, the crazy exposure to unsupplied advances is really beating it down.

Cardinal Ape
General of the Army

Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:44 am

Those sounds like some big issues. Can you verify that you are running 1.06rc3 by clicking on the credits button on the main menu? Perhaps you installed into the wrong location.

Keeler
Captain

Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:26 am

I've played about as far into the game as the Union twice now.

1) I have been able to form corps both times.
2) Haven't noticed. Will check tomorrow when I am back on the right computer.
3) Haven't noticed anything weird with militia units unlocking. Never pay attention to the map markers, can check tomorrow.
4) Assaults on structures have been working as expected for me.
5) Seems to be working as expected.
6) See #2
7) The option to intervene is appearing, but I haven't tried opening the menu for it. In Game #1 Kentucky joined the Confederacy. This was a test game, so I backed up a turn and it wound up not seceding. It unlocked in early Jan 1862 as Union. In Game #2, the Confederacy invaded in late Dec. 1861.

Regarding the AI, I have seen two very different games using the same settings (Colonel difficulty, low detection, Historical Attrition for both sides, complex supply). In the first, the AI played very well. It made an intelligent raid into central PA in the fall of 1861 with Johnson's army, making it to Gettysburg before getting turned back and making an intelligent retreat into WV. By the time I restarted there was good force parity in the eastern theater. In the West it had managed to put together two stacks under Johnston and Van Dorn that was topping out at a little over 7000 power (this was about March of 1862, so I was impressed) and they were working together very effectively to keep me out of western Kentucky and had started to push me out of central Kentucky (which made me even more impressed).

I like to play around with builds, and having been away for a while I decided to start over. In the second game, Athena didn't fly so good. For some reason it doesn't seem to be building as many units in this game (despite having enough resources) and has been making some poor choices. For example, I had Grant at Ft. Henry and Johnston attacked. I beat him... and beat him... and beat him... and beat him... and continued to beat him, and his stack didn't retreat despite controlling all the surrounding regions. Part of what caused this eems to be Athena choosing to use Fort Henry as a concentration point despite the fact it is now occupied by a large enemy stack. It is sending in individual units which are getting picked off be me and destroyed, occasionally drawing Johnston's stack into a larger battle which, despite losing, he seems reluctant to withdraw from. After this I decided to peek over at the AI and see what it was up to, and it has almost no large stacks. So two games, two very different experiences.

What I have noticed in common is that in both games it took a long time (March-April 1862) for the AI to take an undefended Norfolk (probably due to the low detection) and that the AI is easy to besiege in Manassas once the main armies are free to move. In an earlier game with 1.06RC3, I actually got Beauregard to surrender without a battle. I probably could have done this in both Games #1 and #2 as well, if I had wanted to.
"Thank God. I thought it was a New York Regiment."- Unknown Confederate major, upon learning he had surrendered to the 6th Wisconsin.

dinsdale
Sergeant

Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:32 am

Cardinal Ape wrote:Those sounds like some big issues. Can you verify that you are running 1.06rc3 by clicking on the credits button on the main menu? Perhaps you installed into the wrong location.

Looks like I botched the installation, 1.06 went into a sub directory of my CW directory. Going to try again with a new install. Thanks, thought it was odd no one else had seen anything like this :)

Return to “Help improve CW2”