W.Barksdale
AGEod Grognard

Why didn't my successful landmine card make a breach?

Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:58 pm

Either I have terrible luck with these new cards, or something is not working as intended. A successful land mine card was played, however, there is still no breach in Fort Pickens. Kindly see the image and the attached hst files.

[ATTACH]33069[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]33070[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]33068[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Backup1.zip
(565.41 KiB) Downloaded 113 times
1861 April Campaign.zip
(339.77 KiB) Downloaded 110 times
no breach.jpg
"Tell General Lee that if he wants a bridge of dead Yankees I can furnish him with one."
-General William Barksdale at Fredericksburg

Captain_Orso

Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:27 pm

Don't know about the murky situation with the land mine.

I wasn't sure what you meant at first, but I now understand you are talking about the besieging force on Fort Pickens and that they are set to bombard. I will assume that you have artillery in the stack, but it is also currently possible to press the Bombardment SO button regardless of actually being able to bombard. Your force must simply be entrenched at >= level 3. This is a known issue, which Posus said he would be fixing.

So, assuming your force does have artillery and is legitimately eligible to bombard, in this specific case, you still cannot block Fort Pickens from receiving Navel supplies through their harbor. Bombardment only prevents normal supply distribution from moving through a region which is targeted by bombardment.

Naval Supply uses a completely different mechanism, which can only be blocked by brown-water blockading the harbor exit point(s)[SUP]1)[/SUP]. But bombarding artillery can and will augment a brown-water blockade, if you can bombard the harbor exit-point with bombardment alone. Check the tool-tip of the harbor exit-point region.

Generally you need 8 combat elements to blockade a harbor exit-point. This goes up by 4 if artillery friendly to the harbor owner can bombard into the harbor exit-point. It also goes down by 4 if the blockading faction can bombard into the harbor exit-point. So, -4 for Fort Picken's own artillery, +4 for your artillery = 8 naval combat element needed to blockade the harbor exit-point. BTW Fort Pickens has 2 harbor exit-points, Pensacola Bay west of the fort and Cerro Gordo Sound east of the fort, so it will be difficult indeed to actually blockade Fort Pickens.

[SUP]1)[/SUP] The exception to this are harbors with distant-blockade zones. For example, Richmond can be brown-water blockaded by stationing your ships in Hampton Roads.

W.Barksdale
AGEod Grognard

Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:37 pm

Thanks Captain_Orso. Is that certain? Interesting that the coastal waters cannot be interdicted by entrenched artillery considering that the forts will interdict the naval supply by blockading the city. I now notice that there are actually two regions through which Fort Pickens can receive supply, so I will try bring artillery to the second region as well.

In any case I am still concerned about the landmine issue. It was successful yet still no breech!
"Tell General Lee that if he wants a bridge of dead Yankees I can furnish him with one."

-General William Barksdale at Fredericksburg

DrPostman

Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:16 am

I've blockaded it, but it took a hell of a lot of mortar boats. I've also run into the
same Landmine card issue there, so there might well be a problem.
"Ludus non nisi sanguineus"

Pocus

Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:10 am

Hi,

I checked and found 2 issues, no less!

The script command used had a bug, resulting in the command only working if there was a city in addition to the fort.
When the script failed (as this was the case because of the script command bug), then the success message was still generated, because the decision success roll itself succeeded. Here the RGD success should only exist if both the roll and the script is successful.

I'll fix both issues in next RC, released Friday. Oh wait, we are Friday!! :)

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Captain_Orso

Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:26 pm

TGIF Image

Return to “Help improve CW2”