DaddyRess
Private

Early Kentucky Succession?

Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:50 pm

Kinda wondering something... What is the earliest you have ever seen Kentucky Succeed from the Union? Playing a game with Buckeye and I think it was early August of 1861, last turn. Now Buckeye says he has never had KY succeed before, let alone this early in the war. I know it caught me off guard as KY makes a good buffer zone.

So wondering, has this ever happened to anyone else, and does anyone know what could of caused this? I know I have a nice force where the Mississippi and Ohio rivers meet, across from Cairo, IL and have burned some cities in West Virginia and one in Illinois across from Kentucky.

Cardinal Ape
General of the Army

Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:22 pm

I think Kentucky has a 10% to secede each turn starting in August of '61.

ifailmore
Sergeant

Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:27 pm

i had this on agressive ai around turn 4 or 5 i cant remember

FelixZ
Major

Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:30 am

Experienced secession in Late July 61 in a current PBEM game. Cardinal Ape is correct about % chance to secede. Until this game, previously believed Early August 61 would be earliest.

1stvermont
Major

Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:08 pm

I thought it was neutral and simply brought into the game and open to be fought over?

can kentucky join the south? i thought it was always part north part south.
"How do you like this are coming back into the union"
Confederate solider to Pennsylvanian citizen before Gettysburg

"No way sherman will go to hell, he would outflank the devil and get past havens guard"
Southern solider about northern General Sherman

"Angels went to receive his body from his grave but he was not there, they left very disappointed but upon return to haven, found he had outflanked them and was already there".
Northern newspaper about the death of Stonewall Jackson

Keeler
Captain

Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:10 pm

Kentucky starts neutral. An event gives a chance for Kentucky to secede, although it is weighted to not do so. Both sides (including the AI) get an option to invade Kentucky, which will cause that state to join the non-invading side. If neither side chooses to invade by the fall of 1862, it will eventually declare for the Union unless invaded.
"Thank God. I thought it was a New York Regiment."- Unknown Confederate major, upon learning he had surrendered to the 6th Wisconsin.

Bobby53
Conscript

Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:24 pm

I just started a new game as the Union, using the new 1.06 patch, Kentucky seceded from the Union late July 1861. It kind of ruined my plans, but I will play it out and see what happens.

FightingBuckeye
Lieutenant Colonel

Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:58 pm

Bobby53 wrote:I just started a new game as the Union, using the new 1.06 patch, Kentucky seceded from the Union late July 1861. It kind of ruined my plans, but I will play it out and see what happens.

Anytime Kentucky opens up early, regardless of which side they join, it will invariably favor the Union. In the game Ress and I are playing, neither of us were really ready for Kentucky to become a battlefield and we're still scrambling around in response to the new possibilities. But now I, as the North, have another path to invade the South through. Instead of being limited to invading along the Mississippi or forcing my way in through Ft Donelson, I can now follow the rail lines through Kentucky and into Tennessee. Granted things can become messy and there will be a scramble for positioning as you try to muster up some force that you hadn't planned on. But long-term you should come out ahead of any early Kentucky secession.

Durk

Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:27 am

Not always. PBEM game I just finished, CSA got Kentucky. This was decisive as the CSA went on to win , that is to force the USA to concede, this game.

DrPostman

Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:10 am

There might be a glitch in the new patch. Started a new game too and got KY
joining the South in late July:
[ATTACH]34043[/ATTACH]
Attachments
KYsucession.jpg
"Ludus non nisi sanguineus"

Captain_Orso

Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:44 am

From early July '61 until the Camp Dick Robinson event each turn there is a 10% chance that Kentucky secedes from the Union. After that there is a much greater chance of secession and a somewhat smaller chance that Kentucky declares for the Union.

FightingBuckeye
Lieutenant Colonel

Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:42 pm

Durk wrote:Not always. PBEM game I just finished, CSA got Kentucky. This was decisive as the CSA went on to win , that is to force the USA to concede, this game.

I didn't say the CSA couldn't still win. But it IS a major handicap. I don't know the details of your game, but it sounds like you turned it into a strength. But I would wager that more was going on then just Kentucky seceding early that contributed to the Union loss. Maybe you outclassed him or maybe he made a major goof(s). Still congrats! Because it's not easy winning as the South against a human regardless of how it happened.

Durk

Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:39 am

I do understand. I staff my CSA armies with all the offensive bonus generals. So when Kentucky went for the Confederacy, I was in Louisville the next turn with an offensive army. It was a bit of luck, for sure.

It is for sure difficult to win as the CSA, but when Kentucky joins, you get all those lovely CSA brigades.

And yes, more was going on, but I was playing an experienced and solid Union opponent. So this event was essential to turning the pace of the war.

DaddyRess
Private

Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:00 pm

Well, it would of been good for me, if I had some advance warning it was happening lol. I had been pouring most my Mississippi forces to counter any river attack by massing forces across the river from Cairo. Right now Kentucky is an over all hot mess with no real battle lines. I have the army of Tennessee in Lexington and the union has forces outside of Bowling green. So right now it is a scramble for position, followed with a rescramble to counter the others positioning. And on top of that my computer died, putting the game on pause.

FightingBuckeye
Lieutenant Colonel

Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:10 pm

DaddyRess wrote:Well, it would of been good for me, if I had some advance warning it was happening lol. I had been pouring most my Mississippi forces to counter any river attack by massing forces across the river from Cairo. Right now Kentucky is an over all hot mess with no real battle lines. I have the army of Tennessee in Lexington and the union has forces outside of Bowling green. So right now it is a scramble for position, followed with a rescramble to counter the others positioning. And on top of that my computer died, putting the game on pause.

Well, both of us were caught looking in the wrong direction. I didn't really have a force ready for Kentucky to open up either and I think we're both grabbing whatever forces we happen to have from wherever we can grab them from and sending them to Kentucky. Where's Grant when you need him? He needs to know his supply of bourbon and whiskey's in danger of falling into CSA hands!

DaddyRess
Private

Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:05 pm

FightingBuckeye wrote:Where's Grant when you need him? He needs to know his supply of bourbon and whiskey's in danger of falling into CSA hands!

Haha, best comment ever lol

1stvermont
Major

Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:02 am

So not until fall 62 does Kentucky have to join? what is the latest people have seen it open up?.
"How do you like this are coming back into the union"

Confederate solider to Pennsylvanian citizen before Gettysburg

"No way sherman will go to hell, he would outflank the devil and get past havens guard"

Southern solider about northern General Sherman

"Angels went to receive his body from his grave but he was not there, they left very disappointed but upon return to haven, found he had outflanked them and was already there".

Northern newspaper about the death of Stonewall Jackson

RebelYell
General of the Army

Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:54 am

Invading Kentucky can be a good decision for both sides depending on the general situation.

Captain_Orso

Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:53 am

1stvermont wrote:So not until fall 62 does Kentucky have to join? what is the latest people have seen it open up?.

Kentucky can remain neutral well into '62--I don't remember the details--, but it's not terribly likely.

Rod Smart
Colonel

Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:03 pm

While playing 1.05, Kentucky typically waited until at least winter of '61, and I once had it go all the way till the winter of '62 until opening up.

The first game played as 1.06- it seceded on the same turn as Tennessee.

DrPostman

Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:12 pm

Rod Smart wrote:While playing 1.05, Kentucky typically waited until at least winter of '61, and I once had it go all the way till the winter of '62 until opening up.

The first game played as 1.06- it seceded on the same turn as Tennessee.

That is way too early.
"Ludus non nisi sanguineus"

Return to “Civil War II”