caudata
Private

A crowded boat

Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:41 pm

Union loaded 3 divisions onto sea transports, and then between land guns and an iron clad, I blew the fleet the damn away, until now there is only 11 transport capacity (2 ships, each with 1 health), but it's still carrying all 3 divisions (and a supply unit) .

How is this possible? Is this fleet going to be able to drop this force off? I would have assumed that if the ships were sunk, the passenger force would have to discard elements to fit in to the available space. The James River ought to be a bog of floating blue uniforms.

Pocus

Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:51 am

You know that people can get heavily crowded on ships in real life... But the explanation about why we don't kill extra troops here is because that would cripple the AI, as she is not as intelligent as a player and can't foresee if there is a risk of losing precious troops because she is too tight on transports.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

caudata
Private

Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:46 pm

See, this is why we need true AI super computers, even if it means a robot apocalypse.

DrPostman

Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:41 pm

caudata wrote:See, this is why we need true AI super computers, even if it means a robot apocalypse.

You make SkyNet very happy.
The attachment skynet.png is no longer available
Attachments
skynet.png
"Ludus non nisi sanguineus"

FlumenSV
Private

Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:56 pm

DrPostman wrote:You make SkyNet very happy.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]32792[/ATTACH]

:mdr:
Indeficienter

Captain_Orso

Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:53 pm

[video=youtube_share;OPV3D7f3bHY]http://youtu.be/OPV3D7f3bHY?t=2m18s[/video]

Terror begins at 2:18 Image

caudata
Private

Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:40 pm

The resolution to this story is that the 3 union divisions didn't unload at Suffolk. (maybe they can't unload with insufficient transport?).

So when my ironclad came out from it's resupply in Norfolk, it apparently did battle directly with the divisions (probably after taking the last few hits from the last 2 ships), and then the Union divisions swam home in passive mode, down the James River and across the mouth of the Chesapeake to modern day Cape Charles.

In the process, they took, iirc, 140ish hits from Ft. Monroe, although it cost me 24 hits (and 3 batteries of 12's). I don't know if the hits came from the swimming soldiers or the in-zone union fleet, but I will check the log later.

But at any rate, a lost transport fleet and 140+ hits done is a reasonable pound of flesh to sate my cravings. I could still argue that since I sank ALL the transport, ALL of the union elements should have been eliminated (or at least surrendered), but since I have to wait longer for the arrival of our synthetic overlords...

Return to “Civil War II”