charlesonmission

Can a RR become unusable because of harsh weather?

Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:50 pm

I've noticed in the mountains of western Virginia that it won't let me use the RR, or it starts on the RR then stops. Is this because it is a mountain with very harsh weather (blizzard). Never ran across this before.

I have 100% MC and the RR is not destroyed.

Charles

ArmChairGeneral
AGEod Grognard

Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:18 pm

Do you have cavalry in the stack? I have had trouble with cav-only stacks along the B+O during winter. Once the blizzard starts they can't move, forcing me to build a stockade to prevent them from freezing to death. Although I usually seek to build and garrison a stockade there to protect Harper's Ferry' flank, doing it prematurely just hands it to the Union. I could understand if there wasn't a rail there, but I was surprised when it happened to me in a rail region.

Rod Smart
Colonel

Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:23 pm

Happens in New York/northern PA too.
New York is one of my muster zones, and when shipping troops west in the winter they will occasionally get stuck in the snow and stop somewhere in Northern PA/Western NY. I have to make sure to build depots along that northern route so they don't take hits when stuck in the snow.

ArmChairGeneral
AGEod Grognard

Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:52 pm

Actually, now that I think on it something else I had never seen before happened: after a turn or two (the exact sequence is a bit fuzzy now) the cav stack was moved automatically to one of the cities in the Valley. It had taken a lot of weather hits, and I can't remember whether I had the stockade up or not that time. There was a message about it in the log, I can't remember the exact phrasing, but it was something that sounded like they were in an illegal region, which makes some sense since cav can't enter mountain regions under certain weather conditions. Still, it was weird to have them teleport to safety rather than just get stuck there and be destroyed.

Mickey3D

Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:10 pm

A unit can be moved to an adjacent region if blizzard is in effect in its region. You'll see a message in the event log.

Captain_Orso

Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:56 pm

This has been going on since a bunch of patch levels ago. If your stack gets caught in a mountain region by a blizzard it will be moved to the closest non-mountain region Image. I had 1 or 2 division stuck in the valley in Summers, VW east of Morgantown surrounded by mountains in blizzard for a number of turns like this. They seemed to still get supplies from the Morgantown deopt, but I thought the Yetties were going to come and get my troops before they could get out :blink:

ajarnlance
General of the Army

Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:57 pm

charlesonmission wrote:I've noticed in the mountains of western Virginia that it won't let me use the RR, or it starts on the RR then stops. Is this because it is a mountain with very harsh weather (blizzard). Never ran across this before.

I have 100% MC and the RR is not destroyed.

Charles

Yes. Bad weather can derail you, quite literally ;) This actually saved my ass once... I had ordered Jackson's Corps over to the Mississippi department from Virginia. Two turns later he was still within one move of Richmond, stranded because of harsh weather. Good luck that day as I needed to get him back to defend Richmond fast....
"I can anticipate no greater calamity for the country than the dissolution of the Union... and I am willing to sacrifice everything but honor for its preservation." Robert E. Lee (1807-1870)

Check out my 'To End All Wars' AAR: http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?38262-The-Kaiser-report-the-CP-side-of-the-war-against-Jinx-and-PJL

Return to “Civil War II”