markacres
Conscript

Extremely Disappointed about PBEM

Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:20 am

I cannot state strongly enough how completely disappointed I am in the lack of a replay feature for the non-host player in PBEM, the principal way I would play this game. Had I known that this would be the case, I would NOT have purchased this game.

Is there any plan to address this, or are the numerous players who want this feature just screwed?

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:42 am

Download the 1.03 patch.
[color="#AFEEEE"]"Liberty and Union, now and forever, one and inseparable!"[/color]
-Daniel Webster

[color="#FFA07A"]"C'mon, boys, we got the damn Yankees on the run!"[/color]
-General Joseph Wheeler, US Army, serving at Santiago in 1898

RULES
(A) When in doubt, agree with Ace.
(B) Pull my reins up sharply when needed, for I am a spirited thoroughbred and forget to turn at the post sometimes.

Pocus

Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:06 am

Replay feature has been added in said patch, as Granitestater implies. You need first to check a box in the Options menu, main entry screen. Then when the host creates the new turn, this creates one .rpl file per player. When you get your new turn and replay file from the host, you can then type 'loadreplay' in the console to see the passage of time.

The feature is tagged as 'experimental' because (1) it slows down turn generation significantly with added memory usage, so don't use it except in PBEM and (2) because it involves typing something in the game console, so that's not super user friendly.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

markacres
Conscript

Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:48 pm

Ok - thanks for the information, fellows. I really can't understand why it was done this way, as other Ageod products have a simple, user-friendly replay function. Any chance this will be fixed more in a future patch?

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:54 pm

Oh yeah, and I'm gonna code it! 2023 work for you? :D

Probably 1.05 or s. t. like that.
[color="#AFEEEE"]"Liberty and Union, now and forever, one and inseparable!"[/color]

-Daniel Webster

RULES

(B) Pull my reins up sharply when needed, for I am a spirited thoroughbred and forget to turn at the post sometimes.

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:41 pm

GraniteStater wrote:Oh yeah, and I'm gonna code it! 2023 work for you? :D

Probably 1.05 or s. t. like that.

Whoa there GraniteStater. I don't think markacres deserved a sarcastic response even if it was gentle. Its quite a valid comment for a purchaser to make. I myself reckon there is a fair bit of CW2 that falls short of the standard that the Phils achieved with AACW from a PBEM standpoint. Oh as eye candy its far far better but I've yet to be convinced that gameplay is as good. I'm certain that things will continue to improve with patching but I don't think it unrealistic of anyone to reckon that CW2's starting point would have been where AACW ended and an integrated replay function was, for PBEM at least, an important feature of the game.

veji1
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:49 pm

Yes come on Granite, the absence of a functioning replay feature is a big downer, let's not pretend it isn't.

Pocus

Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:14 pm

It's functioning and is also providing more infos in CW2 compared to AACW on stack strengths. What you have lost is that you don't have a button to press but instead you have to type a word in the console. Why that, because all user interface has been redone (and improved, that's not just graphical, before opening a stack of units could eat 50% of your frame rate, now there is 0% loss) and it took an hell of a time.

CW2 is definitively not AACW with fancier graphics and only 90% of the features of the first game, that would be totally unfair to say that. You might have lost a few things, but many more appeared (regional decisions, better interface, production in structures, versatile historical options, etc.). There are tons of things added that are not seen readily but are there too (feedback on expenses).

Well, no need to continue ad nauseum pleading that CW2 is better than AACW, play it and decide yourself.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

veji1
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:48 pm

Pocus wrote:It's functioning and is also providing more infos in CW2 compared to AACW on stack strengths. What you have lost is that you don't have a button to press but instead you have to type a word in the console. Why that, because all user interface has been redone (and improved, that's not just graphical, before opening a stack of units could eat 50% of your frame rate, now there is 0% loss) and it took an hell of a time.

CW2 is definitively not AACW with fancier graphics and only 90% of the features of the first game, that would be totally unfair to say that. You might have lost a few things, but many more appeared (regional decisions, better interface, production in structures, versatile historical options, etc.). There are tons of things added that are not seen readily but are there too (feedback on expenses).

Well, no need to continue ad nauseum pleading that CW2 is better than AACW, play it and decide yourself.

Pocus, don't get me wrong, I am not saying I don't like the game, or that it isn't worth it. I just wanted to concur that the replay function is a disappointment, and a legitimate one. But I commend all your great work and love what the AGEOD studio does.

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:03 pm

soundoff wrote:Whoa there GraniteStater. I don't think markacres deserved a sarcastic response even if it was gentle. Its quite a valid comment for a purchaser to make. I myself reckon there is a fair bit of CW2 that falls short of the standard that the Phils achieved with AACW from a PBEM standpoint. Oh as eye candy its far far better but I've yet to be convinced that gameplay is as good. I'm certain that things will continue to improve with patching but I don't think it unrealistic of anyone to reckon that CW2's starting point would have been where AACW ended and an integrated replay function was, for PBEM at least, an important feature of the game.

I wasn't being sarcastic, that's a smiley & to be clear, I did say, 1.05 prolly.

But if that was misconstrued, OK, I'm sorry and want to let the OP know I wasn't taking a shot at him or his sentiments or anything.

'Pologies.

-Daniel Webster

RULES

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:13 pm

Y'know, it just dawned on me...

a possibly sensitive topic (thx, soundoff, s. t. you said in yr post)...

just to let the OP know, I'm one who doesn't care about replay that much. I will try not to be flippant about things to which I am relatively indifferent.

Thank you.

-Daniel Webster

RULES

Ubercat
Sergeant

Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:24 pm

GraniteStater wrote:Y'know, it just dawned on me...

a possibly sensitive topic (thx, soundoff, s. t. you said in yr post)...

just to let the OP know, I'm one who doesn't care about replay that much. I will try not to be flippant about things to which I am relatively indifferent.

Thank you.

That's interesting.

Ageod's games have many fantastic features and only one glaring weakness that I'm aware of. They have top notch AI, beautiful maps, gorgeous counters, and deep strategic and economic layers controlled by the ledger.

And then they have turn resolution. You give your orders, hit the GO button, and then you're hands off for 2 weeks (in some games it's a month!). If Meade ends up walking into a trap, you can't change his orders. You can't even send a courier to warn him and hope that he changes his own plans. When the turn has run, you look at text to see what happened. Yes, TEXT.

At least with replay you get some sense of involvement. You can watch where the forces move and make your plans accordingly. If you blinked at the wrong time, or the cat jumped into your lap and startled you, you can rerun it to see what you missed.

I'm dumbfounded that any player would be happy looking at text as a turn resolution, or that the devs ever considered replay an expendable feature. Of course I'm grateful that they brought it back.

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:40 pm

Oh, I'm a pretty dumbfounding guy - sometimes I even dumbfound myself - just ask a few fellow posters, including me.

Not having replay as non-Host - well, if, for some reaons, it was uncodable, or s. t., I would just treat it as FOW, essentially. Got the messages.

"I can't drive this car."

"Why not?"

"It's a stick shift."

That's an inconvenience, not an insuperable bar to operation. I don't want that read as a slight, please, in any way, just a clarification of my possible indifference.

-Daniel Webster

RULES

charlesonmission

Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:05 pm

After I type in 'loadreplay', how do I scroll through 1 day at a time?

Thanks,

Charles

Ace

Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:22 pm

Press space for play and pause

Return to “Civil War II”