Blood and Thunder Brigade
Brigadier General

McClellan

Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:07 pm

I'm sure I saw this answered elsewhere on the forum, but regarding George McClellan, does he not get bumped up to 3 star general if the Union army takes Manassas around mid-1861? Or does he still attain 3-star promotion regardless? And if so, when?

Cheers.

Brigadier General

Re: McClellan

Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:48 am

I'll answer my own question there; it seems he won't be. He stays at 2 star general if Manassas remains in Confederate hands. That McClellan isn't promotable unless a particular event occurs seems strange to me :eyebrow:
Last edited by Blood and Thunder Brigade on Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Durk

Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:56 pm

Interesting post. The taking of Manassas is a rare enough event I had not noticed the impact upon McClellan.

My guess as to why McClellan is otherwise not promotable comes from why he was promoted historically. With a Union victory at First Manassas Lincoln has no need to promote a new Eastern general. To do so, in game terms, means the very limited number of generals in Army Command need not be stretched by demoting the general McClellan normally would replace, if that makes sense.

Brigadier General

Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:03 am

That does indeed make sense. No less frustrating though as I actually quite like putting McClellan in command in the East. Though, interestingly, McDowell has better stats as a 3 star general than McClellan if I recall correctly.

wrlertola
Corporal

Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:36 am

You recall correctly :) McDowell's stats (2-2-2) are better than McClellan's. I don't ever remember removing McDowell from army command in any game over the years. Took his corps away and left him with little because they were needed for better commanders sure but he's always kept something and been doing something for me.

Brigadier General

Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:45 am

I prefer to put McClellan in command of the Army of the Potomac purely because it feels right somehow. McDowell would be the better choice of the two though surprisingly. But, if it ain't McClellan or McDowell, the pickings among the Eastern generals are rather slim in 1861-1862.

Return to “Civil War II”