BentonGrey
Private

Adding Promotions for a General

Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:43 am

Howdy folks, I have recently been getting back into this game and finally remembered how to edit generals, but I'm wondering about how to do something beyond just changing stats and abilities. If I want to add the ability for a general like, say, CSA's Shelby or Stand Watie, to be promoted, what all do I need to do? Obviously, I can just add a higher max level in their file, but do I also need another file for each level of promotion, like with the other generals? Thanks!

Also, does anyone happen to have a list of the abilities and their codes? I used to have one, but I'm not sure what I've done with it.

grimjaw
General

Re: Adding Promotions for a General

Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:06 am

AFAIK, there is no command that will allow you to change the rank of a model file, so you have to create a new model file for the leader you want to promote. You normally have two choices. The game shipped with unused model and unit files for future generals for just the purpose you have in mind. You can edit one of those files and have your leader point to one of those. If you're just talking about editing one or two generals, that's the simplest way.

Alternately you can add new files for your leader to use, but I would only recommend that if you're going to be adding many new units, and in that case I'd use the databases to track and create them.

There is a cross reference of abilities with the full set of databases I believe. I can't look it up right now b/c I'm on a phone, but I found them on this forum. Try looking into the modding subsections.

BentonGrey
Private

Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:33 pm

Thanks Grimjaw! I had seen those 'future generals' and wondered what they were for. I think I follow. I suppose I'll find out after I finish and try a new game! :D

I've managed to piece together a list of abilities by going through all of the generals, but if there is a master list somewhere, I'd certainly like to bookmark it!

grimjaw
General

Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:38 pm

Below is a link for the databases for all the games. AFAIK those don't have a cross reference of the abilities and their parameters. A forum user called lodilefty made one of those once but I couldn't find it on the forum. I have an old cross reference but I don't know if it's up to date. I can't post it on this thread for some reason, but if you'll PM me I can try to send it that way.

viewtopic.php?f=132&t=5358

Return to “Civil War II”