StatboyVT
Sergeant

Recommended Settings?

Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:54 pm

Going back to the later versions of the AACW1, I always found that on my normal settings (Medium assistance FOW, +1 activation, give AI more time, Sergeant level), the Union AI would do the exact same thing in the East...the NE Virginia army would head straight to Richmond via Fredericksburg, supply lines be damned.

I started my first game on 1.02 last night, and I found they did the exact same thing. Fought their way through my 13K troops in Fredericksburg, then laid siege to Richmond on the next turn. I railroaded my troops from Manassas down and pushed them out, and now they are just mulling around one district away from Richmond. That was pretty much what happened every single time for me in AACW1 in the later versions. Either that, or they would head directly to the Shenandoah to try to take Winchester and knock out Johnston's army.

In the earlier versions of AACW1, I remember fighting a lot of bloody battles with the Union AI around Fredericksburg in 62-63 as they gradually made their way to Richmond, protecting their supply line. Despite the other AI improvements since then, I'm not a big fan of the way the Union AI seems to handle the war in the first year in the East.

Do I need to change my settings? Would a higher FOW help? Or perhaps a lower one?

I suppose I need to do some experimenting...

minipol
General

Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:30 am

I am holding Manassas, where I slaughtered the Union. Next I went for Baltimore but retreated, and they came after me and took Harpers Ferry, where the Union still is (beginning of 1863)
I'm laying siege to Washington where I'm having battles every turn of 12.000 - 32.000 kills total (both sides counted).
At the end of 1861, beginning of 1862 the Union invaded in 4 places including New Orleans and Norfolk.

It might be a settings thing.
My settings:

Fog of war
Small delayed commitment
Normal Foreign Entry
Historical attrition for both player and AI (apparently only for player is even harder)
No automated replacements
Battle planner of
Activation: full right (non active leader can't move)
Slightly randomize generals
Naval boxes: far left (standard rules)
Extended pool: far left (historical allowance)
Easy supply off
Activate AI on
AI ranking: Lieutenant
Use all behaviors: on
Activation bonus: normal
AI detect bonus: medium
AI aggressiveness: normal
Give ai more time

StatboyVT
Sergeant

Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:01 pm

minipol wrote:I am holding Manassas, where I slaughtered the Union. Next I went for Baltimore but retreated, and they came after me and took Harpers Ferry, where the Union still is (beginning of 1863)
I'm laying siege to Washington where I'm having battles every turn of 12.000 - 32.000 kills total (both sides counted).
At the end of 1861, beginning of 1862 the Union invaded in 4 places including New Orleans and Norfolk.

It might be a settings thing.
My settings:

Fog of war
Small delayed commitment
Normal Foreign Entry
Historical attrition for both player and AI (apparently only for player is even harder)
No automated replacements
Battle planner of
Activation: full right (non active leader can't move)
Slightly randomize generals
Naval boxes: far left (standard rules)
Extended pool: far left (historical allowance)
Easy supply off
Activate AI on
AI ranking: Lieutenant
Use all behaviors: on
Activation bonus: normal
AI detect bonus: medium
AI aggressiveness: normal
Give ai more time

I actually reinstalled the game last night (I was getting lots of crashes) and now I'm getting a much better, less suicidal AI. Perhaps even a boring AI, as the Union just sat in Alexandria for all of 1861 and didn't move, haha.

Return to “Civil War II”