ulysses
Conscript

McDowell, Fremont und Halleck

Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:35 am

Regarding those three illustrious Generals I miss some events or consequences of events:

1. When McClellan gets the Command of the Army of the Potomac, I think McDowell should be demoted to a 2-star-geranral.
2. Is there any event regarding the correspondence betwenn Mr Fremont and Old Abe regarding Fremonts activities in Missouri 1861? If not, there should be.
3. Is there any event regarding Hallecks promotion out of the field to commanding general of the army. While he was perhaps not a very good field commander, that job he did well - but it should take him out of the field (perhaps locked in Washington, as General Scott is till his retirement).

Gen.DixonS.Miles
Captain

Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:47 pm

I wondered the same. No event for Fremont? Never considered the one with Halleck though interesting. Finally, for McDowell I suppose if he does not succeed when you use him yes? Maybe a drop in seniority so when you dismiss him he so he doesn't leave a large foot print? I've seen with success and being in the field can make McDowell a good solid general, in my games where he does good he usually ends up around the 5-3-4 range.
“In my opinion, Colonel Miles was a drunkard, a coward and a traitor, and if I had the power I would have had the United States buttons taken from his coat.”

Elble, Sigmund-Soldier with the 3rd U.S. Infantry

Elble, an officer on the frontier who knew Miles well

MikeV
Sergeant

Can't be a slave to history ...

Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:22 pm

ulysses wrote:Regarding those three illustrious Generals I miss some events or consequences of events:

1. When McClellan gets the Command of the Army of the Potomac, I think McDowell should be demoted to a 2-star-geranral.
2. Is there any event regarding the correspondence betwenn Mr Fremont and Old Abe regarding Fremonts activities in Missouri 1861? If not, there should be.
3. Is there any event regarding Hallecks promotion out of the field to commanding general of the army. While he was perhaps not a very good field commander, that job he did well - but it should take him out of the field (perhaps locked in Washington, as General Scott is till his retirement).

1. McDowell, as with any 3-star general, can command a Corps. If you want to explicitly demote him, you can (at a cost).
2. I found this in USA_Events.sct:

Code: Select all

SelectFaction = USA
SelectRegion = $Saint_Louis_MO
StartEvent = evt_nam_USA_Fremont1861|0|2|evt_txt_USA_Fremont1861|Event-img_USA_Fremont1861|$Saint_Louis_MO|118

Conditions
  MinDate = 1861/08/30
  MaxDate = 1861/11/02
  Probability = 50
  EvalUnqUnit = John C.Fremont

Actions
  DescEvent = evt_desc_USA_Fremont1861

SelUnqUnit = John C.Fremont
  RemoveCuUnit
GenMsg

EndEvent

3. What you do with Halleck is up to you. Personally, I have him train the militia units to regular infantry, then use the latter to flesh out divisions.
--
Mike
deus ex machina

ulysses
Conscript

Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:35 am

Oh, so was only unlucky regarding Fremont? To be honest - beeing a sometime longtime player of AACW - I do not understand the scriping of events, so I do not understand, what the quoted event do. Could somebody explain? Perhaps it would nicer if the probability of a Fremont event would be higher (he was driven by his political ambitions to move against slavery), but give the player a choice, in line with Lincolns alternatives (hold him, but loose standing in the border states, dismiss him with winning standing in the border states but loose a lot of standing in the higher north, delay a choice an try to convince Fremont with a third outcome)?

Regarding McDowell, I am aware of his usability as corps commander. But as it is now, you got an event, that McClellan takes command. But ingame McDowell stay comander of the NVA and you have to ship McClellan whereever you want to plant the AoP. I would prefer, with a sideglance to actual proceedings in 1861, that he would loose his abality to command an army until he earned it again. In my last try as the union I made him corps commander and afterwards he was expected to take the next army command available (while halleck, Buell and so on did not have army commands) - to me this feels wrong.

Regarding Halleck, I know that I could do with him what I want. To put some general to special tasks, like uptraining militia/conscirpts seems a little bit gamey to me. I would prefer, if he - Halleck - would put on a job more in line with actuel proceedings. Perhaps the player should have a choice - hold him in the field or put him on the job round Abe (with some benefits I can not imagine).

Eugene Carr
Colonel

Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:49 pm

I'm pretty sure the event shown above is deactivated, should be a 1 not a 0 in the string after the event name.
From memory this event was closed down in AACW because of a conflict with attached troops who were removed as well as Fremont, I thought it was brought back in a later patch with a different way of removing a leader. There was a similar event with Van Dorn.
I'm not sure if the above event is still as per original, Fremont doesnt have an Army HQ attached anymore so I don't think its as much of a problem in his case.

S!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Gen.DixonS.Miles
Captain

Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:54 pm

I happen to like Fremont. He brings a lot of potential for a lot of alternate histories.
“In my opinion, Colonel Miles was a drunkard, a coward and a traitor, and if I had the power I would have had the United States buttons taken from his coat.”

Elble, Sigmund-Soldier with the 3rd U.S. Infantry

Elble, an officer on the frontier who knew Miles well

Eugene Carr
Colonel

Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:54 pm

Further to above Fremont needs to be John C. Fremont to tie in with the unit file (space after fullstop)

S!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Geohff
Corporal

Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:07 pm

ulysses wrote: Perhaps it would nicer if the probability of a Fremont event would be higher (he was driven by his political ambitions to move against slavery), but give the player a choice, in line with Lincolns alternatives (hold him, but loose standing in the border states, dismiss him with winning standing in the border states but loose a lot of standing in the higher north, delay a choice an try to convince Fremont with a third outcome)?

I would prefer, if he - Halleck - would put on a job more in line with actuel proceedings. Perhaps the player should have a choice - hold him in the field or put him on the job round Abe (with some benefits I can not imagine).

I really like the way you think ;)

Return to “Civil War II”