bob.
General

So I just had the weirdest combat result...

Sun May 19, 2013 6:19 pm

The weird thing is not only that this assault of Massalia was counted as a loss - it continued the day after, so it's not like the Caesarian army was routed or retreated - but also, I lost FIVE national morale from this battle - without losing a single element!

I made this topic not only because of this single battle, but I think that in general there are a lot of battles where the victory/loss determination is ambiguous.

Is there a clear explanation for when a battle is counted as victory, when as stalemate, when as loss?

(Also by the way, Lucius Domitius Ahenobarbus - what a name! - seems to have an 8 strategic rating? Never saw that before)

Franciscus

Sun May 19, 2013 7:09 pm

Post a save for Pocus to check or mail him directly with the save, please.

Regards

bob.
General

Sun May 19, 2013 7:32 pm

[ATTACH]22748[/ATTACH]

Ah yes sorry, i always forget :)
Attachments
3-CaesarPompey500.rar
(2.16 MiB) Downloaded 75 times

Franciscus

Sun May 19, 2013 8:16 pm

Forwarded to Master Pocus :)

bob.
General

Mon May 20, 2013 7:09 pm

Here's another battle result that I find very weird:

I killed the whole garrison, but it is a "stalemate"? Why?

I don't have the save right now because I am not hosting, mostly I just want to know in general how the battle results are determined because there has to be some kind of algorithm that determines it?

Franciscus

Wed May 22, 2013 8:47 am

bob. wrote:Image

The weird thing is not only that this assault of Massalia was counted as a loss - it continued the day after, so it's not like the Caesarian army was routed or retreated - but also, I lost FIVE national morale from this battle - without losing a single element!

I made this topic not only because of this single battle, but I think that in general there are a lot of battles where the victory/loss determination is ambiguous.

Is there a clear explanation for when a battle is counted as victory, when as stalemate, when as loss?

(Also by the way, Lucius Domitius Ahenobarbus - what a name! - seems to have an 8 strategic rating? Never saw that before)

Hi, bob

Pocus has seen this. His answer:

"Saw the battle result, this is about Cesarian suffering less losses but being defeated in an assault? They probably disengaged from lack of cohesion and as the defenders still keep the fortress, end result is loss."

Regards

bob.
General

Wed May 22, 2013 9:41 am

The assault continued afterwards though, and I still did take Massalia during that turn. So my army didn't stop the assault.

But my main question here is why did I lose 5 morale from that battle? Considering that during this turn I DID take Massalia, my army wasn't routed or something, I did take high losses but a lot less than the defender and I didn't lose a single element, I just don't see how that could make you lose 5 morale.

I wouldn't really mind about the victory/loss designation of a battle in general so much, but the problem is that it is directly tied to victory points/morale, that is why I think it is important to understand the system.

Ebbingford

Wed May 22, 2013 11:06 am

It is the old chestnut about losses of Roman citizens. You lose more NM per amount of Roman soldiers lost. It doesn't matter how many of the enemy you kill, if you lose too many Romans then you take a hit to your NM. It is like this by design I think.
"Umbrellas will not be opened in the presence of the enemy." Duke of Wellington before the Battle of Waterloo, 1815.

"Top hats will not be worn in the Eighth Army" Field-Marshal Viscount Montgomery of Alamein K.G.

bob.
General

Fri May 24, 2013 1:54 pm

Seems a bit extreme, though.. I always thought it was only so extreme if elements were destroyed. Is it based on Roman nationality hits taken or how is it determined?

It's a bit of a shame that battle results are so poorly explained...is no one is able to give me an answer why the fort assault with the whole garrison killed was a "stalemate"?

Return to “Help to improve AJE”