deguerra
Captain

List of Generals (in Ledger)

Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:23 pm

Was looking for a general questions and ideas thread but couldn't find one (non-Spanish one anyway :P), so here goes:

I quite missed in RUS and PON's ledger the ability to break down 'units' into 'sub-units', especially with regards to Generals.

In AACW, this further breaking down gives you a list of all your generals which you can sort in various ways. As far as I can see, this exists in RUS and PON only for those generals actually in command of a unit, but no otherwise (or am I missing something?)

If so, is there any chance for this to be reinstated for AJE?

-deguerra

yellow ribbon

Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:40 pm

hum, AACW is a case of its own. PON and AIE give you predifined troops size, you can only attach units to a stack with an general or COMBINE them.
so the "breaking down" to smaller units is neglect-able (even if useful)

in F1 you can activate the leaders filter

now you can use all the subfilters by clicking on the region name, the three stars etc and end up with the overview.

additionally you can check now from this base on the stack, hover with the mouse over the generals rank icon in the column, whoever commands the stack, and ALL generals in the stack will be shown, including rank and stats

since AACW there came a lot of additional abilities, summarizing abilities and so on, you will see, sometimes there is not enough space and the only spot you can find ALL information is the UNITS DETAIL PANEL.

i think, even if an additional ledger would be brought into the game, the level of complexity would be too high, to be handy for most players
...not paid by AGEOD.
however, prone to throw them into disarray.

PS:

‘Everything is very simple in War, but the simplest thing is difficult. These difficulties accumulate and produce a friction which no man can imagine exactly who has not seen War . . . in War, through the influence of an infinity of petty circumstances, which cannot properly be described on paper, things disappoint us, and we fall short of the mark.‘

Clausewitz

deguerra
Captain

Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:06 am

Hi yellow ribbon,

I think from your explanation, I may still be missing something about the RUS-era ledger and filters. I will check again when I am home :)

thanks,

-deguerra

Durk

Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:29 am

I just checked out Yellow Ribbon's explanation. I agree, it is there in AJE. Just check it out.

yellow ribbon

Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:47 am

deguerra wrote:Hi yellow ribbon,

I think from your explanation, I may still be missing something about the RUS-era ledger and filters. I will check again when I am home :)

thanks,

-deguerra

for the simple reason that i did not compare the ledgers, but merely the functions.

see, AACW started once with SIX generals in the first turn, slowly adding some more, even with small brigades, which could be created with different units.
one, not willing or able to remember where the generals (highly valuable, were dropped, could use this kind of ledger.

for Pride of Nations and now for Alea Iacta Est, the substacks-in-a-stack (brigades) are NON-EXISTENT
As said, stack generals with many units, or combine them with units.

so for this game it is totally enough to be able to FIND the general at all, predominantly chosen for offensive, defensive and strategic modifiers.
thats works as i said with the existing ledger already.

The Antique however will need more power than one single unit with a general, you will have massed armies with multiple commanders.
the abilities of the commander give you the usual bonus/malus and should be used wisely, but the strategical value and the bonus from commander at all, will be superior as larger the stack gets. 3 - 5 Legions maybe, and often more, as the AI is in some scenarios REALLY challenging.

dont tell the devs that i said anything about the importance of the strategical value, do you...
...not paid by AGEOD.

however, prone to throw them into disarray.

PS:

‘Everything is very simple in War, but the simplest thing is difficult. These difficulties accumulate and produce a friction which no man can imagine exactly who has not seen War . . . in War, through the influence of an infinity of petty circumstances, which cannot properly be described on paper, things disappoint us, and we fall short of the mark.‘

Clausewitz

Pocus

Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:54 pm

It is true that the new ledger can't list all generals, unit by unit...

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Return to “Alea Jacta Est”