gwgardner
Brigadier General

replacement chit usage

Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:00 am

Hello,

I was fiddling with replacements in the 3rd Samnite War scenario, trying to see how they work.

With ships, first I purchased 10 ship replacement chits.

I then moved my Roman fleet to a maritime trade zone and noted that I lost some ships. Then I moved the fleet back to port and the ships were restored, I suppose from replacements.

However I noted no usage of replacement chits. So I did it all again, and by turn 6 I had lost a total of 14 ships. Then back to port.

The screenshots below show the sequence. The one labeled turn 7 should be turn 8, as I left the fleet in port one turn to get replacements.

Still no usage of replacement chits.

Can someone explain the way this works, why no replacement chits were used up?

[ATTACH]26199[/ATTACH][ATTACH]26200[/ATTACH]
Attachments
2.jpg
1.jpg

Durk

Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:03 am

Two concepts of replacements:
One, you lose an element, this means you need a replacement chit to replace.
Two, you lose some forces but no elements, these rebuild without chits, just with full supply.

Not sure if this is enough to make sense, but it is the real deal.

gwgardner
Brigadier General

Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:18 pm

Thanks. So since an element of 5 ships was not lost, just one ship within many elements, those individual ships were replaced, perhaps repaired I guess, or returned after being lost, without the use of a chit.

bob.
General

Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:08 pm

Durk, are you sure about that? I was under the impressions you always need chits for any kind of re-strengthening (no matter if full elements or just "life points") - only that if you only restore life points, then there is a ? % chance to lose a chit and if you get a new element, you 100 % lose a chit.

Is that not correct and in fact you need no chits to restrenghten elements? Then I wonder why when I play with historical attrition, forces without replacement chits gradually lose cohesion.

Erik Springelkamp
Brigadier General

Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:29 pm

bob. wrote:Durk, are you sure about that? I was under the impressions you always need chits for any kind of re-strengthening (no matter if full elements or just "life points") - only that if you only restore life points, then there is a ? % chance to lose a chit and if you get a new element, you 100 % lose a chit.

That is my understanding as well.

I have certainly seen chits being used for SP's in partial damaged elements in AJE.

Ebbingford

Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:33 pm

Durk wrote: you lose some forces but no elements, these rebuild without chits, just with full supply.

This is only true for WIA IIRC.
"Umbrellas will not be opened in the presence of the enemy." Duke of Wellington before the Battle of Waterloo, 1815.

"Top hats will not be worn in the Eighth Army" Field-Marshal Viscount Montgomery of Alamein K.G.

Durk

Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:00 am

I do appreciate that when I have put on my Mr. Know-it-all hat that others clarify. This is not the first time and I am sure it will not be the last where I display my game misconceptions in this forum.

So to clarify GWGardner's question, would it be fair to say that he is not seeing any reduction in chits because the chits are not being fully consumed?

Ebbingford

Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:17 am

Yes, I think so :)
"Umbrellas will not be opened in the presence of the enemy." Duke of Wellington before the Battle of Waterloo, 1815.

"Top hats will not be worn in the Eighth Army" Field-Marshal Viscount Montgomery of Alamein K.G.

Narwhal

Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:28 pm

As far as I understand.

Replacing 1 lost element => 1 chit.
Replacing 1 hit in a unit with 10 SP => 1/10 chance to consume one chit.
Replacing 1 hit in a unit with 6 SP => 1/6 chance to consume one chit.

gwgardner
Brigadier General

Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:33 pm

Thanks for all the responses. Seems like the answer has been narrowed down well.

noodlenoggins
Civilian

Sun May 18, 2014 1:47 am

I just bought the game and have been fiddling with it....I am a bit confused about replacement chits...does it happen automatically when a unit is in need of replacements (assuming I have the proper kind of chit)? Or is there some action I need to take to give a unit replacements?

Durk

Sun May 18, 2014 3:56 am

If the above makes sense, it happens automatically if you have the chits.

Jim-NC

Sun May 18, 2014 1:53 pm

Welcome to the forums noodlenoggins :wavey:

In answer to your question, elements that are damaged (show red on their icon) will repair to full health. The speed of this depends on the unit's stance (passive gets the most), location (depots give the most), and other factors (like being in supply - no supply, no repair).

If the unit is missing an element, then the ability to be replaced with depend on settings. With certain settings, your troops will only get a replacement element in a depot.

Hope this helps answer your questions.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “Alea Jacta Est”